Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model X Problem!!! 3rd row seat stuck in down position.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another problem with XerXes, my Model X. It was delivered about 2 months ago, but has only been in my possession for a couple weeks total. The first major problem was the driver's door being royally screwed up. Now it's the third row seat.

I laid the third row seat down using the shoulder button. Now the seat will not rise up, no matter what combination of button presses that I try. Any suggestions?

My bad..I didn't see your profile and check out your previous posts on driver door latch issues. Yes, that's been an Achilles heel for TM.
I didn't mean to come across as rude. I'm just trying to solve this problem, and the forums are usually a good source for this. I'm hoping someone has a magic bullet like, "open the fuse box, pull the fuse, put it back, and wham, it's done."

Reactions: xkwizit
Found the solution, which highlights a major design flaw. There was a small pillow in the seat that my daughter uses with her booster seat. The pillow is dark so I did not see it when I laid the seatback down. The seatback locked into place, making it impossible to lift up, but there was enough pressure from the pillow to prevent the shoulder button from working. I had to pull the pillow from the rear through the intersection of the seatback and the seatbottom. Then the button would work.

So resistance from below being present against the declined seatback prevents the button from working. If you have a small animal present, or God forbid you me child has a limb in the seat put there when you were distracted, the seatback will lock in the lower position, but cannot be unlocked without the animal or limb being forcefully pulled out. Very, very bad design. Just plain awful. And that's coming from someone who loves Tesla and holds Tesla stock.

Found the solution, which highlights a major design flaw. There was a small pillow in the seat that my daughter uses with her booster seat. The pillow is dark so I did not see it when I laid the seatback down. The seatback locked into place, making it impossible to lift up, but there was enough pressure from the pillow to prevent the shoulder button from working. I had to pull the pillow from the rear through the intersection of the seatback and the seatbottom. Then the button would work.

So resistance from below being present against the declined seatback prevents the button from working. If you have a small animal present, or God forbid you me child has a limb in the seat put there when you were distracted, the seatback will lock in the lower position, but cannot be unlocked without the animal or limb being forcefully pulled out. Very, very bad design. Just plain awful. And that's coming from someone who loves Tesla and holds Tesla stock.
Good find..and a great post! :)

Reactions: GoTslaGo

You should contact [email protected] about this. The latches should allow some flexibility, not lock if there's an obstruction, or not lock at all. I'm not even sure what the benefit of locking latches is when the seat is all the way down.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
If you have a small animal present, or God forbid you me child has a limb in the seat put there when you were distracted, the seatback will lock in the lower position, but cannot be unlocked without the animal or limb being forcefully pulled out. Very, very bad design. Just plain awful.

This is good info.
Tesla needs to add some sort of sensor (like on the Apple iPhone) that can determine if there is human or small animal part there and prevent the seat back from locking in the lower position.
That sensor can also provide info to prevent tragic incidents of people leaving their kids or pets in the car.

This is good info.
Tesla needs to add some sort of sensor (like on the Apple iPhone) that can determine if there is human or small animal part there and prevent the seat back from locking in the lower position.
That sensor can also provide info to prevent tragic incidents of people leaving their kids or pets in the car.
I can understand if the pet or child is sleeping and is left alone in the car and that's a whole different topic but I don't understand the need for sensors to prevent locking the seats as the child or pet will squeal from the pressure of the seat. That should be enough to warn you. Though it will make sense to have a weight sensor that will prevent folding the seat but I doubt you can get reasonable accuracy for the weight of a small pet.

Doors, locks, seats (for folding), frunk and even glove compartment are controlled through an electrical / electronic components. When a simple traditional solution would have been good enough.

I am just coming back from test driving an X. VIN 419.

Doors, locks, seats (for folding), frunk and even glove compartment are controlled through an electrical / electronic components. When a simple traditional solution would have been good enough.

I am just coming back from test driving an X. VIN 419.
I disagree. The electronic locks like for glove are so much more useful and safer when giving your car to valet. It would be literally impossible to lock your frunk for a valet. I have already mentioned in another post about power operations of the seats.