TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another poor visit with Tesla Service.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Wknapp0924, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

I took my Model 3 in for a minor paint defect where some paint splattered down in the door gap. I only thought they were going to sand it and put some touch up paint on. Well they ended up sending it to the body shop and having the whole front panel repainted. Well that’s good service, however the collision center they had do the work used a flat red paint and not the shimmering paint Tesla uses and now I have a front fender that doesn’t match the rest of the car. Should I have them repaint the entire car? Or fix their mistake? I wish I was someone who could stand by Tesla, but their service centers are the weakest link!
    D8E284F3-164D-4D27-8EE1-9C23BF49B689.jpeg

• Disagree x 1
  2. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Take it back...ask them at a minimum to blend it.

On a side note....

From a customer perspective, I love that they go way beyond to right the various issues that have come up. I have had my share of issues on my MX and M3, each time Tesla has addressed in a prompt manner and completely rectifyied the issue(s). And thereby earning my lifetime loyalty to the car/brand.

Having said that, I am not an investor nor am I short seller—just an business observer that all these fixes do add up in costs. At what point does the business model start dictating a pullback in services. If they get to cash flow positive, I don’t have a worry. But with cash flow burn, each of these services/fixes do add up. And as volume grows exponentially, will these downstream issues reduce or grow?

Anyways, just food for thought as a consumer who has gone completely electric (cars/solar/powerwall) and wholly dependent on Tesla going forward. I keep thinking in a worse case scenario is that Tesla is now too big to fail and should funding dry up, some tech (or auto industry) white knight will come in to scoop it up.

• Informative x 1
  3. ryanakata

ryanakata Member

That is absolutely unacceptable, I would definitely take it back. The way it since currently your brand new car looks like a five year old car that had a panel repainted that doesn't match exactly. I'm sorry to hear that you had to do with this.

4. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

I see a difference in lighting, but otherwise don't notice anything. Just me?

5. ryanakata

ryanakata Member

To me it appears the front bumper is painted a much darker shade of red.

6. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Can the collision center reseat the headlights and realign bumper with the fender?

7. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

The picture doesn’t really do it justice. You can tell by the fact the fender doesn’t have the dark specks in the paint like the rest of the car.

8. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

yeah it's really hard to capture the metallic aspect of the red paint in a photo. I was pretty amazed with the color when I finally saw it in person. Do not live with this. Take a closer shot across the seam and see if your camera can capture the shimmer of the individual flecks of the metallic paint.

• Like x 1
  9. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

If you can see a paint difference in a picture it will be absolutely horrendous in person. That is beyond ridiculous. What kind of body shop would even give that back to a customer? Much less back to Tesla who then also thinks it's OK and then gives it back to a customer.

That needs a repaint and I would even claim diminished value with all the paint on that fender people will think it was hit .

• Like x 1
  10. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

I’m angry at myself for not seeing it for a month. Now it’s all I see. Tesla said to take it to an approved body shop and have them paint with code PPMR, but I am wondering if I should have them repaint the whole car now?

11. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

I would insist on a loaner car and have them take care of it - none of this was your fault, only theirs.

• Like x 1
  12. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

I agree. From the picture can definitely see it’s darker.

13. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Lesson learned. Never have a new body panel repainted unless the problem is glaring and horrible. it will never match exactly. You've allowed a minor annoyance that likely didn't even need to be fixed to be turned into a significant problem.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  14. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

Whoa! Horrific--you must have it repaired. I would speak with the owner of the shop, who will probably be mortified. If he's not, you might report him to Tesla and/or ask tesla to cover the cost of another shop redoing the work. Probably a long shot on that last one, but Tesla body shops have been required to make significant investments in training in order to be certified.

• Helpful x 2
  15. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Minor now becomes major!

This should have been caught by Quality Controls and it should repair that before the delivery.

Instead, you have become unpaid Quality Controls who spotted the defect.

I guess, the right thing to do at that time would be to refuse the delivery, pass the buck back to Quality Controls, and get a new replacement.

Now, it's too late so my guess is to have the incompetent body shop to repaint the whole car with a same paint!

Unless, they will be too incompetent and ran out of the same paint the middle of the job.... No. I won't even think about it!

• Funny x 1
  16. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I sincerely believe you would be making a mistake with a complete repaint. Just have them repaint the panel, nothing more.

17. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Additionally red is the hardest color do blend or do correction matching on.

Body shop guys work very hard to blend the paint with usually decent results but generally they can never match what the factory does when the car is painted new in a multi-coat process that uses robots.

18. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

Great, now I can't help but wonder how awful my hood is going to look after they repair a damn paint chip on metallic blue.

19. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

This was one of the imperfections from delivery day along with door jam. I didn’t ask them to repaint the whole fender as I think a little bit of touch up and some sanding would have done the trick.
    6D7E29EF-7D56-4AB3-9C6A-878A5F67A159.png

20. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Nice. Blame the victim.

• Like x 5