Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another reason to always plug your car in when it is in the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tmoz

S85D, Y LR, ex Prius PiP
Aug 16, 2015
Gilbert, Arizona
Last night my wife noticed that her phone app came up with the message to the effect: "Summon failed. Charging cable plugged in."
We were inside the house and did not summon the car. Had it not been plugged in, we might have found it in the middle of the street.
When the summon app first came out a few days ago, we were seeing if both of our phones would get the option to summon the car.
But it seemed that only one phone at a time could get this privilege.
Could it be that the request was cached? I think I'm going to disable summon until I know I'm going to use it.
I don't use the feature to park my car because I don't park symmetrically in the garage, so I don't like how it parks the car evenly between the other car and the other wall.

That is odd. I would contact Tesla so they can look at the logs. Might be worth changing your MyTesla password too if it is something simple just as a precaution although it is extremely unlikely anyone else activated it.

Last night my wife noticed that her phone app came up with the message to the effect: "Summon failed. Charging cable plugged in."
We were inside the house and did not summon the car. Had it not been plugged in, we might have found it in the middle of the street.
When the summon app first came out a few days ago, we were seeing if both of our phones would get the option to summon the car.
Could it be that the request was cached? I think I'm going to disable summon until I know I'm going to use it.
I don't use the feature to park my car because I don't park symmetrically in the garage, so I don't like how it parks the car evenly between the other car and the other wall.
Maybe your S wants to get a service from the SC, without bothering you. Canadians don't have that luxury yet.

I also will have them check my right front sensor. When in AP, the yellow sense zone on that part of the car just doesn't light up like the others even though the distance is close to the object.
I had a malfunctioning sensor right off the bat with the left rear. It would complain periodically that something was there when there was absolutely nothing behind me.
When they replaced it, it stopped being flaky.
Maybe the right front is not good either.

I also will have them check my right front sensor. When in AP, the yellow sense zone on that part of the car just doesn't light up like the others even though the distance is close to the object.
I had a malfunctioning sensor right off the bat with the left rear. It would complain periodically that something was there when there was absolutely nothing behind me.
When they replaced it, it stopped being flaky.
Maybe the right front is not good either.

RE the front right sensor, I see that too--I think that's just how they've coded things up. When you pull into a garage, does that area look as you expect when you get close to a wall or obstruction? If so, it's probably functioning normally.

RE the front right sensor, I see that too--I think that's just how they've coded things up. When you pull into a garage, does that area look as you expect when you get close to a wall or obstruction? If so, it's probably functioning normally.

Agreed. The front sensors work well to about 25mph, after that they don't show "yellow" when you expect them too.

I also suspect it's a conscious software decision.

I had this same thing happen last night when I got home and plugged the charger in. I will see if the same thing happens tonight.