Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Safety Tale... My Children Safe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Two of my sons and I were headed to the courthouse so that one of them (18) could vote for the first time.

On state highway 161, I stopped behind two other vehicles, waiting for the truck to turn left into a private drive. Between 3 and 5 seconds later, with zero warning, I was hit from behind at about 55 mph. I blacked out for about a second, regained consciousness, and steered the car off the highway. Luckily, the cars in front of me had cleared enough that I did not chain into them.

Immediately, the car turned on the flashers. I told my kids to get out, and they did. I walked back to the disabled car that hit me and checked that they were ok, then called 911.

We went to the hospital as a precautionary measure; a back strain for me, a lip contusion for my 18 year old (hit by my driver's seat, which broke from the force), and a minor harness abrasion for my 5 year old. I'm at home, resting now.

The other vehicle's occupants went to the hospital, their condition is unknown.

I'm convinced the outcome would have been far different in any other vehicle make.

20181106_174219.jpg

20181106_172550.jpg

20181106_173235.jpg

20181106_171428.jpg
20181106_171705.jpg

Oh yeah, and all four doors still opened for escape, although they bound just a hair.

I'm very happy to say we avoided more serious injury by having this wonderful piece of engineering.

-c

Wow, so glad you and your family survived that relatively unscathed. It could have been so much worse looking at that impact. I agree -- big credit goes to your Tesla for keeping you safe. I sure like having that solid battery pack under my feet. I hope the aches and pains are not too bad in the morning.

Reactions: MP3Mike and MC408
Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you and your family are safe!

as a fellow parent, you always try and prepare for the unexpected and protect your family the best you can. Owning a Tesla (or multiple from your signature), you did just that!

Your perspective is also in the right place where it sounds like you are just happy your kids are ok and not worried about your car (which is replaceable).

Rest up and be thankful.

Reactions: MP3Mike and David29
Sorry for the accident, but very glad you where uninjured.
I was rear-ended last August. I was driving my wife's Fiat Panda, stopped at a crosswalk to let an elderly lady go through, car at my back (a small Kia) stopped as well, car further back (small Peugeot) didn't stop, hit the Kia that chained into me. The car in the middle of the pack was completely totalled but the structure resisted, all occupants (4 person + 1 dog) escaped with minor contusion, but to open the rear doors it was needed to have the fire-fighters cut the steel. My wife's Panda suffered CHF 4.000+ of damages to the rear part. The hitting car broke 3 engine supports and from what I know the value of the damage was higher than the residual value of the car.
All of this with an hitting speed of about 30-35 Km/h!
So again, I'm happy to be driving a Tesla not only because it's a marvellous car to drive, but also for the inherent safety of it.

A983C728-F3A8-4E46-B93C-518B569636B8.jpeg
Glad everyone was ok! Also great job having all of you buckled in. My 3 year old daughter and I were hit at 70 and went in the ditch. We hit the guard rail and went airborne. All the airbags went off and the car did its job.

Attachments

• 4B3F230C-680B-45A2-BEB4-F98D9551D2B6.jpeg
    4B3F230C-680B-45A2-BEB4-F98D9551D2B6.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1A33EDA9-67B6-4462-89BC-C862CB8392D5.jpeg
    1A33EDA9-67B6-4462-89BC-C862CB8392D5.jpeg
    877.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 6C44450E-A097-4AE3-9FED-BF6A3DF612FF.jpeg
    6C44450E-A097-4AE3-9FED-BF6A3DF612FF.jpeg
    843.8 KB · Views: 90
Glad you are all ok! that is probably going to hurt a lot today or 48 hours after the fact. I was rearened like that a few years ago... not in my S... its what led to me getting a S!

a couple of questions. Is your S outfitted with the rear facing seats? (IE does it have the reinforced bumper) second you said your driver seat broke, is that reclined position where you had it set, or is it leaning back so far due to it breaking?

Reactions: 1375mlm
Great nothing worse happened. But, just for curiosity, what makes you believe no other car would make it? I'm not sure about US market, but you can find another 5* "crash-tested" cars here.
Any car with a likelihood of severe injury in a crash below a certain threshold is labelled "5 stars". One car might have a 9% likelihood, the other 4%. They would both be classified the same despite a massive difference in safety. See below. Both of those cars are equally safe based on star ratings. The difference is Tesla makes the cars with absolute lowest likelihood of injury. The number of stars doesn't tell the whole story.

Rear ended at 55MPH and yet the rear glass is intact, while the crumple zone underneath it did it's job.

The rigidity of the occupant cell is impressive. I am glad to hear you all are OK.

Looking at your pics, did your seat break in the sense of the mounting or backrest becoming loose, or is it just that rear trim piece that became detached, hitting the rear occupant?

Happy to hear all are ok. Looking at that picture makes me wonder how someone in the back left seat would be walking after that impact; not a lot of leg room left!

One thing is for sure; if it was the Tesla that rear ended the Ford it would be all over the news.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Sorry, but what's relevance of video of different car in completely different type of crash to prove whatever?
I can post the article, where model S got "acceptable" rating for off-center frontal collision. But again, what would be the relevance for rear-end crash?
But I see, yet another theoretical Tesla worshiper?

I can think of one way to find out; you feel like volunteering? :D
Sure, no problem, buy the "same category" car ($100k Volvo, BWM, Mercedes), I will sit in it and you can 55mph rear end it with your Tesla. I'm pretty sure I would not be injured more than OP.

And once more. I'm NOT saying Tesla is bad in crash situation. I just have concerns about "no other one than Tesla would make it"

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic