Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another solid experience with Tesla Service, and WOW the P100DL is scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm continuously blown away by the level of service I've received from Tesla, so I'll post this as another two thumbs up experience.

Brought my 2015 Model S 70D in for the 2nd annual/25k mile service to Tesla Torrance this time since they're down where I work, and I figured I'd drop it off on my lunch break. They were able to get me in on 2 days' notice. I was surprised at how quickly they were able to get me in...I figured maybe someone cancelled? Last time I was at the Costa Mesa Service Center for my 1st annual 12.5k mile checkup, they were booked solid for a good month or so. In any case, I dropped off the car at 1230PM and by 5PM they had called me to let me know my car was done.

They were also kind enough to get me into another Model S loaner, and not just any loaner. They gave me a brand new P100DL+ without batting an eye. I hopped in and the odometer had less than 1,000 miles, VIN was I think 172xxx if I recall correctly.

The loaner was capped at 85MPH as a top speed, and I was able to experience the power behind the car. I did 2 so-so launches...I say so-so because after the first second or so, I let off the accelerator. This car really felt like I was being launched from a rocket! I was actually quite glad to get the loaner back to the Service Center, because quite frankly, having that amount of power is just downright scary for a 4 door sedan/everyday family vehicle, and I did NOT want to be able to have access to that amount of power so easily. Awesome experience, yes, but also a bit scary as I can see how people can get into big trouble with this car if not driven responsibly.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually quite glad to be back in my "vanilla" 70D. More power than I ever need, and just reinforces what I thought before: having no regrets over choosing the "lowly" 70D instead of a higher performing model. Also helps keep me out of trouble = )

I had the same experience when my S75 was in for service and I had a P85D loaner.

I told my wife that having that type of power was going to be dangerous for me! I was happy to go back into my vanilla 75.

Who knows, I may change my mind in the future, but I'm happy with my vanilla 75 (for now)!!

Wow, I use Paramus NJ's SC and they only have "base model" service loaners. Older P85's, 60's and 70's. Almost never a D. Hey, I'm glad to get a Tesla as a loaner when I take it in. Maybe they are more free with the new performance stuff when you take it in for a checkup that you pay for. Most of my visits were the warranty kind. And I was told "those P85D's are sales loaners and these 60's and 70's are service loaners. We can't give you a P85D."

I did get a P85D with insane mode once because my car was in there getting the paint on the A pillar fixed when one of the tech's chipped off a 1 square cm of paint down to the metal and then tried to cover it up with the wrong color touch up paint. So I had to bring it back for them to do paint work. Which they did, and I got a P85D loaner out of it, but I had to fight for it. Took a little arm twisting, not much but a little.

Wow, I use Paramus NJ's SC and they only have "base model" service loaners. Older P85's, 60's and 70's. Almost never a D. Hey, I'm glad to get a Tesla as a loaner when I take it in. Maybe they are more free with the new performance stuff when you take it in for a checkup that you pay for. Most of my visits were the warranty kind. And I was told "those P85D's are sales loaners and these 60's and 70's are service loaners. We can't give you a P85D."

I did get a P85D with insane mode once because my car was in there getting the paint on the A pillar fixed when one of the tech's chipped off a 1 square cm of paint down to the metal and then tried to cover it up with the wrong color touch up paint. So I had to bring it back for them to do paint work. Which they did, and I got a P85D loaner out of it, but I had to fight for it. Took a little arm twisting, not much but a little.

I've only had two service loaners. One was when I took it in for an air conditioning issue that turned out to be more of an engineering issue and the other was to get the front seats upgraded. The first time I got a 75D inventory car slightly older than mine (built just before the refresh, but after the center console becoming standard). The second time was a P85D that I think was a trade in. From the VIN, I think it was an early 2015 (this was in December last year).

They have indicated to me they hand out the cars they have based on availability. I'm getting the buzzing headlights fixed next week, we'll see what I get as a loaner.

Loaners are the best way to experience L. We got a 90L and have not turned on the L in almost a year. Besides making us and our passengers sick the car just plain exceeds the human body's tolerance for acceleration. Besides finding places to be ludicrous while your vision is narrowing. It was an easy decision to not upgrade to the 100L when they offered it!

Good for you.. lucky you didn't get stuck w/ a clunker loaner from Hertz...
(Like many do..)

My last SC visit I got a Nissan Altima that I think had the most uncomfortable driver's seat I've ever experienced. And I'm coming from a world where the Model S costs 4X any car I've ever driven and I've driven a few cars worth less than $1000.

I was lucky the first two times and got Model Ss both times. I think the second one was a P85D, but I didn't do anything extreme with it.

I'll add a similar (in terms of new information that is) unexpected story. I took my P85D in to West Palm beach for the first service. I had heard about early cars differences so I asked if they had a very high mileage very old Tesla i could take instead of a new one. Five minutes later i was in an early 2013 P85 with 108,000 miles. I was astonished that it behaved just as did the new ones, but without TACC and other new features. That was more than a year ago, but it reaffirmed my belief about Tesla longevity.

What might I think if I'd driven a P100D? I suspect it would cost me lots of money so I'm avoiding that!:eek: