Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, a sound system related question: Tesla says the '21 M3 LR has 14 speakers + 1 subwoofer. Does that mean it has 14, or 15? All other manufacturers include the sub-woofer in the speaker count. Heck, they even count a coaxial speaker as 2, so my guess is the 14 count includes the sub, but rather ask. And finally, any diagram where each speaker is? I'm curious how many in the very front of the dash (at the base of the windshield), since it looks like a giant speaker cover. Thank you.
Don't really see how the question is related to the NVX sub but I'll answer anyway.

Let's do a quick speaker count
3 front grill near windshield. Or 4 if you want to I clude the tweeter.
2 both a-pillars
2tweeters 2-8in woofers on both doors
2 both rear doors
2 rear shelf
1 subwoofer
If yiu really carr about speaker count there's a small speaker below the glovebox and I guess the outside speaker.

Having counted that it's not always about speaker count. A nice component set can sound just as good or even better that a 20 speaker set.

My grill cover had a dent in it, probably from shipping. I believe the surround was hitting this, but also believe it could just be the case in the overall amount of excursion I see of the woofer itself. I think there are 3 hiccups in this setup. (1) the internal volume of the enclosure seems larger than 1 cubic foot (I did not do the test which is to take a 1x1x1 foot box fill it with styrofoam peanuts and dump it in, but by eyeballing it it's over 1 cubic foot -- Old installer trick FYI I'm old...). (2) This tiny Amp reminds me of the old Soundstream digital motorcycle line. Yeah it puts out, but it's a $100 amp. (3) The sub looks beefy, but I can make it pop and do dumb stuff when I get on the gain and or bass boost. Sure the XLCA puts out something crazy like 9v preouts so any amp is going to be driven... For me, only having 1 RCA hooked up allowed me a lot more fine tuning to the music I like (Rap, Techno, Rock, Country). At the end of the day for all the gear you get this is an okay system. Attached is the grill I removed.
@m1xmstr,

Copy that thanks for the reply. Those grill covers occasionally are flexible enough to allow some reforming so I’d attempt to push out lightly with your thumb to re-mold it to original shape if it bothers you to have it off. Or contact NVX to see if they replace it and ship you another one. I’ve also had them snap/break if not flexible enough as well. YMMV. Glad you got the setup working to your satisfaction.

Ski

Reactions: m1xmstr
Don't really see how the question is related to the NVX sub but I'll answer anyway.

Let's do a quick speaker count
3 front grill near windshield. Or 4 if you want to I clude the tweeter.
2 both a-pillars
2tweeters 2-8in woofers on both doors
2 both rear doors
2 rear shelf
1 subwoofer
If yiu really carr about speaker count there's a small speaker below the glovebox and I guess the outside speaker.

Having counted that it's not always about speaker count. A nice component set can sound just as good or even better that a 20 speaker set.
So that's 15 then. By the way, what are the 'A-pillar' speakers? I put my ear next to one, with the stereo cranked up decently loud, and couldn't hear anything, hence my question. And yes, I agree speaker count doesn't really tell how good the system is. My little Tesla with 15 speakers sounds better than a '21 Genesis G80 with 21 speakers I was considering. I assume the Model S with 22 must sound better than our M3, but I've heard a couple of people say it doesn't. THAT doesn't make sense to me, but it's possible, I guess :). But my M3 is the best sound system I've had, and I've owned much more expensive cars than that, so kudos to Tesla. I think Tesla snatched B&O engineers to design their systems, right? Okay, enough hijacking. Ha ha.

I wanted to post my settings for the XCLA2 and VADM1 amp. I am not an expert, I just watched a lot of YouTube videos, and read about this. I did some of what cdub715 posted earlier in this thread. Hopefully this will help get some installs close to a decent sound.

I didn't adjust the X Bass threshold on the side of the XCLA2.

I used a Kicker 50hz -10DB test tone. I tried all 3, but I like more bass so settled with the -10db one.
I had all ICE EQ settings at 0. I had the volume about 4-6 notches from max volume, which is roughly around 3/4 volume. I don't listen this loud usually. I turned the Bass Level knob until the maximized light lit up, then backed it off a tad. I did turn up the Bass-X knob just a tad.
tune 3 xcla2.JPEG

I stopped the test track, removed power from the XLCA2, then removed my speaker wires from the VADM1 and secured my voltmeter probes in the wire adapter. I made sure lowpass was at the max 250hz, subsonic was at 10hz, boost at 0 and SENS gain at 5v (low). I gave it power back and ran the test track again. I adjusted the SENS gain control until I got the 25.2V (Voltmeter on AC mode).

I connected my speaker back up, and did some test listening to some music. I adjusted my low pass and subsonic filters. A comment on the NVX youtube video by NVX stated they used 80hz LPF, 25hz subsonic, and slight bump for Bass-X. I found the bass not quite enough, so I went back and adjusted the SENS up just a bit. I hooked up my voltmeter one last time to get a reading of the voltage I am settling at. Turns out its at 27.4V.
tune 3 amp.JPEG

This is will probably clip at loud volumes and on some music, but I think for most of what I listen to it will be good (EDM, Pop, Rock, not alot of hip hop or rap). Specifically, I tested with these songs (Linkin Park - Bleed it Out, Creed - My Sacrifice, Chevelle - The Red, Pink Floyd - Money, Panic! at the Disco - The Greatest Show, Lauren Daigel - Still Rolling Stones, Deadmau5 - Sofi Needs a Ladder)

Side note, i was able to get the charge release lead on top of the sub so it can be pulled. I'll probably extend it with some rope.
charge release.JPEG

So that's 15 then. By the way, what are the 'A-pillar' speakers? I put my ear next to one, with the stereo cranked up decently loud, and couldn't hear anything, hence my question. And yes, I agree speaker count doesn't really tell how good the system is. My little Tesla with 15 speakers sounds better than a '21 Genesis G80 with 21 speakers I was considering. I assume the Model S with 22 must sound better than our M3, but I've heard a couple of people say it doesn't. THAT doesn't make sense to me, but it's possible, I guess :). But my M3 is the best sound system I've had, and I've owned much more expensive cars than that, so kudos to Tesla. I think Tesla snatched B&O engineers to design their systems, right? Okay, enough hijacking. Ha ha.

A-pillar speakers are only active with “High” surround setting

Here’s a diagram of the model three premium speaker set up

I think there is only 2 amps - 1 in the front of the car and 1 in the rear. I think the front does all the pillars, doors, front dash and rear deck and the amp in the rear does the sub.
On the premium system, the rear amp powers the subwoofer, rear dash, rear doors, and front doors. The computer in front powers the front dash, mirror tweeters, and overhead a-pillar speakers.

Reactions: ratcityrain
@kev1n,

Yup.... check out post #180....guy had same issue. Let me know if it helps you, also would love your opinion of the system and sound vs. OEM after install!

Ski
i saw that post, mine was not shifted out of place(already tried adjusting it and flipping the bracket around). my guess is they shipped it with the wrong bracket. their customer support seems like total crap. emailed them twice already with no response at all so i decided to bend/drill a new hole in the existing one.

its better than stock but i would say its a bit underwhelming as there isnt much wiggle room for more bass, i will have to play with it some more to give a better response.

So after the NVX $700 learning experience I'm starting to think about what will work... I can find a used rear deck on eBay for $160 then fiberglass a box on the bottom. I believe I could slam a 15" in the center and make everything look pretty decent. I'm still leaning towards using a car audio battery isolator that instead of a second battery would go to the larger subwoofer amplifier. This idea is a work in progress so I'll keep the forum posted.

Reactions: Skione65
So after the NVX $700 learning experience I'm starting to think about what will work... I can find a used rear deck on eBay for $160 then fiberglass a box on the bottom. I believe I could slam a 15" in the center and make everything look pretty decent. I'm still leaning towards using a car audio battery isolator that instead of a second battery would go to the larger subwoofer amplifier. This idea is a work in progress so I'll keep the forum posted.

I'm putting a JL Audio 12 inch TW1 in the sub trunk on Friday. 400W RMS amp. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Reactions: M3 2018
I just did my subwoofer install yesterday and went through the hard shut down sequence (which is really quick). I left all windows open, frunk and trunk open, and opened the rear doors since that is where i was working. The disconnected the 12V negative (which oddly did not turn off the interior lights to the car) and then disconnected the HV battery contactor in the penthouse. When I was done I hooked it all back up and the car powered back up no issue. Great thing is that you don't lose any settings like you do in a regular car.