Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla fire in a garage, this time in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone see a way that the stock doesn't drop at least some in early trading tomorrow? I'm read to take advantage if it does. After what happened the last 2 times, it seems like a guarantee we are heading down in the short term.

edit - why is this thread located here? I would have never found it had it not been linked from Model S forum, should be in investors forum also (maybe it is by now).

sub, I think it's worth noting that while the first fire led to a sizable drop, the fire in Mexico was almost completely ignored.

beyond that, yes, it will likely go down a few dollars. after that, could move either way (including back over $200), the stock has just had such large moves of late.

I am curious about the photos, both about their lousy quality and about their origin.

1. If you look at the photo credits under each photo in the BI article, it says "Business Insider" in tiny print. Did Business Insider take the photos, or did they buy them? If bought, from whom? If taken, what were they doing in Toronto that day?

2. Regarding the lousy image quality: they remind me of still frames from low-quality video. Or maybe a very very old cell phone. I mean, I can't imagine any recent smartphone, regardless of make, taking anything as crappy as these photos. I'm going to guess Business Insider has a video. I am also going to guess it came from either the owner of the car, or, more likely, from the fire department.

Also, another side note: interesting that the Toronto International Automobile Show is going on right now, this week, in Toronto, as this news breaks.

Finally, the fact that Business Insider broke the story? What's up with that? Not a source in Toronto? Not the AP news wire? I don't get it. How did they know? Who tipped them?

I am curious about the photos, both about their lousy quality and about their origin.

1. If you look at the photo credits under each photo in the BI article, it says "Business Insider" in tiny print. Did Business Insider take the photos, or did they buy them? If bought, from whom? If taken, what were they doing in Toronto that day?

2. Regarding the lousy image quality: they remind me of still frames from low-quality video. Or maybe a very very old cell phone. I mean, I can't imagine any recent smartphone, regardless of make, taking anything as crappy as these photos. I'm going to guess Business Insider has a video. I am also going to guess it came from either the owner of the car, or, more likely, from the fire department.

Also, another side note: interesting that the Toronto International Automobile Show is going on right now, this week, in Toronto, as this news breaks.

Finally, the fact that Business Insider broke the story? What's up with that? Not a source in Toronto? Not the AP news wire? I don't get it. How did they know? Who tipped them?

Like I posted earlier, there is a lot to believe that BI timed to publish the article exactly at 4PM on purposes. The photos were processed by their publishing platform between 4-4:02PM.

this thread along with that article should be renamed "fire in a garage that happened to have a Tesla parked in it". honestly. after reading it all again, it really sounds like BI really really stretched here to put the words "TESLA" and "FIRE" in the same sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

Bloomberg and SFGate running with a copy of the story now too

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ause-of-toronto-garage-fire-with-model-s.html

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bu...Caught-On-Fire-While-Sitting-In-A-5233464.php

and here starts one media outlet whispering down the lane. it already started with a bad story so can't wait to see what this turns into tomorrow...

This thread's title is inflammatory (pun intended) and ought to be changed until the facts are available. "Another Tesla fire in a garage..." makes assumptions. All we know is that there was a Tesla in a garage that caught fire.

For perspective, a few months ago my coworker's garage caught fire and burned down the house. A gas generator on one side of the garage developed a leak in the fuel line. The fuel rolled all the way to the other side of the garage (slightly downhill) and the fumes were ignited by the pilot light of a gas water heater.

There are many possible causes here, innocent and nefarious. Personally, I'm going to assume that 98% of the article is incorrect information until the facts emerge.

Last edited:

that is the strange one. Why/how was a stock market journalist site the first media source to report this and only after two weeks?

Also, with all the news lately on this topic, how had no neighbor, firefighter, or person directly involved not spoken about this? That rumor would have spread like wildfire I would have thought. I'm sure at least one firefighter recognized the vehicle. I'm sure they are used to not speaking up due to dealing with investigations regularly, but I would have thought some word would have slipped out.

I wish that another news outlet would:

• contact Toronto Fire Services, talk to their media person, talk to Fire Chief Chris McShannock, and order an incident report ($75)
• get more official and unofficial quotes from Tesla
• find the house, talk to the owner, get their story

There is so so so much more to this story that we don't know. All we have is a gossipy blog post that feels like it was a tip-off to ground zero of Wall Street (Henry Blodget's Business Insider in NYC).

I think we can all agree this piece of "news" is a blatant attempt at stock manipulation through FUD. The timing, poor reporting, and the fact Business Insider published it clearly shows this is total BS. I'm going to go ahead and assume just about ever detail in the article is a lie, doesn't tell the whole truth, or is worded vaguely to stir things up. Maybe if we are lucky someone will release the actual truth about what happened, in the mean time though I wouldn't take it to seriously or jump to any conclusions.

I wish that another news outlet would:

• contact Toronto Fire Services, talk to their media person, talk to Fire Chief Chris McShannock, and order an incident report ($75)
• get more official and unofficial quotes from Tesla
• find the house, talk to the owner, get their story

There is so so so much more to this story that we don't know. All we have is a gossipy blog post that feels like it was a tip-off to ground zero of Wall Street (Henry Blodget's Business Insider in NYC).

Takes 30 days to get the report :( http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=7d173497436e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Several people have called Tesla and received the same messaging as in the article

Not sure how to find the house...

Twitter Search, Monitoring, & Analytics | Topsy.com

not sure if that link will work for you, but according to the unofficial toronto fire department twitter feed there were about 41 fires that day. On the first page of results, out of 10 on the page, 4 were vehicle fires.

what I searched for:
tofire (the username of their feed)
fire (for a keyword)
31 January at 23:59 to 1 February at 23:59

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else think its funny how a four month old tesla supposedly went up in flames exactly four months after the first one? Both on the first of the month? Haha

again, for all we know, the guy pulled to far forward and hit a gas line. My garage has a gas line at just the right height that goes to a water heater.

The first sentence of the article:

Earlier this month, a Tesla Model S sitting in a Toronto garage ignited and caught on fire.

From the Tesla statement:

In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire.

This investigation will take some time. Until we know the results, this is all conjecture.

How do you know it isn't?

Neither of us know for sure, but look closely how the article is written.

The first part is a direct statement attributed to Tesla. Nowhere in that statement did Tesla say they offered to pay for any damages. Why isn't that in there as a "direct statement"? Because the author and company could get their @sses sued off if that statement were an outright lie.

On the other hand, the author managed to slip hearsay in by mentioning that 7 Tesla employees showed up and they offered to pay damages but the owner said no.

Who gave that info to the author? Notice the writer didn't attribute that to anyone.

" The owner said "

" Spokesman for the Fire Department told us"

"I spoke with Tesla's investigation team and they told me"

The author wrote that part intentionally vague enough to weasel out of getting sued for publishing false statements.

I bet when push comes to shove the writer will say something like "gee, I talked to a lot of people on his. I don't recall who it was exactly, but I know I heard that."

If the author is willing to publish an article with a "direct statement" from Tesla confirming they offered to pay damages, I'm with you. Otherwise, I'm extremely sceptical.