Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anthony Levandowski beats Tesla's Elon Musk to first Auto Cross country (3k Miles, 0 disengagement)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? just like their two FSD demo in 2016 right? Or how they flew dozens of journalists to a particular city (New Jersey) to do EAP demo on one route specific so that hot pieces can be written? Why not let the journalists from all over go to their respective tesla store and do a EAP demo there and selecting any highway route they want?

LOL gotta love tesla fans creating qualifiers to disqualify others while their own gawd company can't live up to.

No one is creating qualifiers to disqualify others but not Tesla's. What is laughable is the few Mobileye or whatever fans and Tesla detractors could only cling to some PR presentations and demos which are all they could get from those companies. Real man (or women) makes cars not vedios. Only little kids watch cartons and get excited.

Once again in this hot market today there is no reason why anyone who has a class leading technology would want to just do some demos instead of put it in real cars, or sell to others who will put it in real cars. Elon once anwered questions about all those claimed new battery technologies "show me real samples not Powerpoints". Pretty much applies to everything.

Last edited:
Journalists noted that pronto. AI could not merge on their own and had to be assisted.

No they didn't. Smh i feel bad for you ppl. Unable to appreciate technology. Intense animosity over anything non tesla.
Your statement in no way describes what actually happened and the context but rather alludes to incapability.

During the Guardian’s 48-mile test ride, it drove safely and competently, and succeeded in changing lanes several times on its own initiative. However, at one point, Levandowski took the wheel after the car failed to merge into busy traffic. Such hiccups are called disengagements in the self-driving world. Levandowski attributed the disengagement to the latest version of Pronto’s constantly evolving software.

The system that was demoed to the journalist was the a city street system in SF. The cross country drive system is completely different.The disengagement that happened WAS on the city streets.
DutNkl6VsAAdTWD.jpg:large

No one is creating qualifiers to disqualify others but not Tesla's.

I just gave you three scenarios that failed your qualifier and you ignored it. Most recent being Tesla taking dozens of journalist to New Jersey to demo EAP on a pristine route so they can get glowing reviews written.

That doesn't sound transparent, yet you were okay with it and never sounded an alarm. What about the two FSD demos in 2016. You also didn't sound an alarm, in-fact it was fans like you (back in 2016 and 2017 before the realization sunk in) that were trying to shove down my throat about how Tesla will be FSD next month and constantly referring to the demo as proof.

Anyone who didn't call out what happened then is a hypocrite, so is everyone who said nothing about EAP fake reviews generated by Tesla.

Once again in this hot market today there is no reason why anyone who has a class leading technology would want to just do some demos instead of put it in real cars, or sell to others who will put it in real cars. Elon once anwered questions about all those claimed new battery technologies "show me real samples not Powerpoints". Pretty much applies to everything.

If i applied basic logic into your statement it would show that traditional automakers are NOTHING LIKE Tesla. They are NOT agile, they develop and plan 3-4 years before to deploy 3-4 years later. Which is why the navigation/entertainment systems always sucks. This simple logic you refuse to apply will show you why A company would have a better system at this very moment when the same system is slated for a production model years into the future.

Even when a silicon valley company approaches a traditional automaker with a finished tech, it will take them 3-4 years to integrate the tech into a production model. That's how much backwards and slow the trad automaker is in their operation.

But the actual tech itself is quite different.
New startup automakers are of-course changing that as they all want to be agile.

The whole thesis of Tesla is not that they are not behind on autonomous driving, nor is it that they are right there with the competitors. But people insist that Tesla are 3-5 years AHEAD on autonomous tech. Therefore you have to provide evidence of that 3-5 years. When EAP released, most people claimed that EAP is that proof that Tesla is 3-5 years ahead.

However pronto.ai just debunked that. They proved that what other companies have internally are apparently far better than what Tesla has deployed (this is with Tesla being a silicon valley company therefore deploying the latest and greatest of their internal system). So how can Tesla be 3-5 years ahead?

If a company is planning to deploy a L3/L4 highway high speed system in 24 months (2 years) then they would have to be at-least at the level that EAP is at now or even well surpassed it. That is simple logic. For Tesla to be 3-5 years ahead would mean in 2021, any company who releases any system will only match the performance and features of AP1. That again is simple logic.

Last edited:
No they didn't. Smh i feel bad for you ppl. Unable to appreciate technology. Intense animosity over anything non tesla.
Your statement in no way describes what actually happened and the context but rather alludes to incapability.

The system that was demoed to the journalist was the a city street system in SF. The cross country drive system is completely different.The disengagement that happened WAS on the city streets.
DutNkl6VsAAdTWD.jpg:large

I just gave you three scenarios that failed your qualifier and you ignored it. Most recent being Tesla taking dozens of journalist to New Jersey to demo EAP on a pristine route so they can get glowing reviews written.

That doesn't sound transparent, yet you were okay with it and never sounded an alarm. What about the two FSD demos in 2016. You also didn't sound an alarm, in-fact it was fans like you (back in 2016 and 2017 before the realization sunk in) that were trying to shove down my throat about how Tesla will be FSD next month and constantly referring to the demo as proof.

Anyone who didn't call out what happened then is a hypocrite, so is everyone who said nothing about EAP fake reviews generated by Tesla.

If i applied basic logic into your statement it would show that traditional automakers are NOTHING LIKE Tesla. They are NOT agile, they develop and plan 3-4 years before to deploy 3-4 years later. Which is why the navigation/entertainment systems always sucks. This simple logic you refuse to apply will show you why A company would have a better system at this very moment when the same system is slated for a production model years into the future.

Even when a silicon valley company approaches a traditional automaker with a finished tech, it will take them 3-4 years to integrate the tech into a production model. That's how much backwards and slow the trad automaker is in their operation.

But the actual tech itself is quite different.
New startup automakers are of-course changing that as they all want to be agile.

The whole thesis of Tesla is not that they are not behind on autonomous driving, nor is it that they are right there with the competitors. But people insist that Tesla are 3-5 years AHEAD on autonomous tech. Therefore you have to provide evidence of that 3-5 years. When EAP released, most people claimed that EAP is that proof that Tesla is 3-5 years ahead.

However pronto.ai just debunked that. They proved that what other companies have internally are apparently far better than what Tesla has deployed (this is with Tesla being a silicon valley company therefore deploying the latest and greatest of their internal system). So how can Tesla be 3-5 years ahead?

If a company is planning to deploy a L3/L4 highway high speed system in 24 months (2 years) then they would have to be at-least at the level that EAP is at now or even well surpassed it. That is simple logic. For Tesla to be 3-5 years ahead would mean in 2021, any company who releases any system will only match the performance and features of AP1. That again is simple logic.

Guardian article is very suspicious of his claims and people are sceptical of the achievement so this small thread is not the only one.

If you claim that system needs to be reloaded for certain conditions than its worse than I thought since it likely means that his custom computer, with who knows how many GPUs, does not have enough compute power and/or city data is lowering scores for highway driving.

If you claim that system needs to be reloaded for certain conditions than its worse than I thought since it likely means that his custom computer, with who knows how many GPUs, does not have enough compute power and/or city data is lowering scores for highway driving.

Reloaded? they have two separate system one for highway and another for their FSD. You know how people thought EAP and FSD were different codebases. Now all of a sudden this is a negative.

Gotta love the warped logic.

Elon once anwered questions about all those claimed new battery technologies "show me real samples not Powerpoints". Pretty much applies to everything.

Here is Elon showing "real" samples.

In the announcement he says all the houses around have solar roofs on them. The roofs look "as good or better" than conventional roofs.
Reality is, none of them was working, not even close. It took them one more year to design the simplest one and they still don't have the other 3 types he presented on this event:

In the announcement he says all the houses around have solar roofs on them. The roofs look "as good or better" than conventional roofs.
Reality is, none of them was working, not even close. It took them one more year to design the simplest one and they still don't have the other 3 types he presented on this event:

The solar cell worked, the 3M directional viewing grate worked, the glass existed, there was a contact system. Everything needed further testing before releasing it with an industry leading warranty.

Reactions: CarlK

Do you want to say something or you just want to bash? Demo is not the same as real thing. It applies to Tesla the same as everyone else.

The solar cell worked, the 3M directional viewing grate worked, the glass existed, there was a contact system. Everything needed further testing before releasing it with an industry leading warranty.

"when Musk saw an early concept two months before the event, he found it hideous and ordered a skunk-works group to prototype something sexier, according to multiple former Tesla and SolarCity employees. They rushed out a glass-based version up to the standards of Musk, who neglected to mention that the shingles he showed off at Universal weren’t yet able to generate electricity. "

"Musk initially tapped his cousin Peter Rive, previously SolarCity’s chief technology officer, to run the project. Rive’s team focused first on developing a textured black shingle, one of four designs Musk had showed off at Universal. But according to several people familiar with the project, Rive struggled with its scope. “There was a meeting where Pete was like, ‘Well, we’ve pretty much done it. We just have a few kinks to work out,’ ” recalls a former senior employee involved the effort. “Everyone was looking at each other like, ‘What? Are you kidding me?’ ”"

"By the end of last year (which is 2017), the company was making progress on the Solar Roof. Musk had given his blessing on a design employees internally referred to as the “gold sample roof,” and Tesla spent months refining the technical specs to match Musk’s aesthetic requirements. He even had a prototype installed on his guesthouse in Los Angeles. All they had to do next was figure out how to mass-produce it."

Bloomberg - Did Elon Musk Forget About Buffalo?

There are only 2 types "available" at the moment. This is the shiny design. Elon wanted (presented) a conventional roof look, which is still not ready.
Tesla Solar Roof

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TheTron
...how easy...

I set out to see if I could do Autopilot for 200 miles without any disengagements on freeways and it was successful after 3.5 hours in scattered showers at some stretches along the way. The speed was from 70 mph in the Central Valley California to stop-and-go in Los Angeles in the South.

The route was CA-99S to I-5S to CA-91E to CA-57N.

This was the older and less capable version 8.1 because I hate version 9 interface that restricts my positionings of 2 windows on my central display.

AutoPilot turned on and remained on with no interruption until exit ramp in 200 miles later(lit up teal steering wheel icon at Instrument Clusters, on the right side of live speedometer number).

It worked fine when it was entering to the physically wrong road direction I-5N which is temporarily re-directed for driving South during the road construction:

After about 3 miles, entering back to the correct direction of I-5S.