Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-EV / anti-Tesla advertising from competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love how the CD player is listed 5th.... super important!

Amazing that they try and dumb it down to potential consumers... 8-speed shifter compared to a "1-speed shifter"... give me a break! How convenient they leave out the HP and torque comparisons...

This and the most recent Lexus ad leaves me shaking my head...

Here's an example from an Audi dealer in Naperville. The A7 has more cargo space than the Tesla? What didn't they count in the Model S? That alone makes the comparison suspicious.

I'm trying to figure out what they used for the cargo room calculation. According to Tesla's Model S Specs page the rear alone fits double what the Audi dealer said:
Total cargo volume: 31.6 cu ft
Rear cargo volume (seats up/down): 26.3/58.1 cu ft
Front trunk cargo volume: 5.3 cu ft

Well this just tells me that they are now realizing that Tesla is competition, of course what they do not talk about is the fact you do not have to ever buy gas again.

They also (selectively) don't mention that the Supercharging is included for the life of the car.

Last edited:
But there's a critical distinction: Lexus isn't attacking its competitors, it's attacking an entire class of vehicle. A more appropriate analogy would be Samsung attacking tablets, or Coke attacking diet soda. Ethics aside, it's just incredibly stupid. If you ever enter that market, the first obstacle is your own prior ads. It makes you look like Luddite morons -- and rightly so.

What Lexus should be communicating to potential buyers is, "our technology is better than anyone else's." What they actually communicated with that ad is, "we have no product in the EV market, and we have nothing in development for the next ten years. We're so certain our engineers can never solve this problem that we're willing to mock the market rather than enter it."

True they are attacking an entire class of vehicle, but let's face it, it's mostly aimed at Tesla and a little bit at Nissan, BMW, etc. In the end, Tesla is really the big dog at this point. If Toyota decides to enter the EV market in earnest, it will conveniently ignore anything it said before, and most people won't remember. If Toyota is smart, it will introduce an EV that has something that it makes it superior to its competitors. However, it seems like Toyota is in a bit of rut. Indeed, I've recently driven a GS, ES, RX, Avalon and Prius, and the cookie cutter roll-outs are getting a little silly at this point.

I'm glad to see these ads, means they hear the gentle swoosh of the EV creeping up on them. I don't think they'd sway anyone seriously considering a Model S. Using Tesla in an ad might even just be a gimmick to draw attention to their brand.

I will give (minor) kudos to Audi for listing recharge time at 30 minutes vs the several hours that everyone else tosses out when they wanna be a hater.

i personally love the A7 and Audi in general - in fact when I bought the car I took it to the Audi dealership which is the closest automotive service center near my home to get a Virginia state inspection completed. The guys in the shop and on the showroom loved the Tesla P85 and where stunned at how nice it was.

I showed them the Tesla audio command search capability "Play""Anything you have ever heard in your life" and the cellular connectivity and everyone was sold once they realized it was accessing the internet and not a media drive to pull in the song"

Also the smooth Tesla Tech/ Navigation interface without all the legal blocks will prevent me from buying another Lexus/Toyota! Sayonara* Lexus/Toyota!

*Sayonara in Japanese for 'goodbye'; however, it carries more finality. Instead of being used at the end of a day, as in "Goodbye see you tomorrow," it would be used in situations where you will either not see the person for a long time, if ever again.

As an Audi S6 owner and a Tesla Model S owner, I believe I'm uniquely qualified to respond to them. And I did. The A7/Model S comparison is a valid one, given that these are similar vehicles at a similar price point. They just got some of the details on the Tesla wrong, beginning with the price—which should have mentioned the $7,500 federal tax credit. Mentioning the number of speeds in the transmission seemed like they were reaching. This is why such comparisons should only be done by independent third parties.

i personally love the A7 and Audi in general - in fact when I bought the car I took it to the Audi dealership which is the closest automotive service center near my home to get a Virginia state inspection completed. The guys in the shop and on the showroom loved the Tesla P85 and where stunned at how nice it was.

I showed them the Tesla audio command search capability "Play""Anything you have ever heard in your life" and the cellular connectivity and everyone was sold once they realized it was accessing the internet and not a media drive to pull in the song"

Also the smooth Tesla Tech/ Navigation interface without all the legal blocks will prevent me from buying another Lexus/Toyota! Sayonara* Lexus/Toyota!

*Sayonara in Japanese for 'goodbye'; however, it carries more finality. Instead of being used at the end of a day, as in "Goodbye see you tomorrow," it would be used in situations where you will either not see the person for a long time, if ever again.

I have driven and owned Lexus GS's only, since 1993..............NO MORE! Model S is a far superior car!!! Sold on Tesla and will never go back..................and I am sure I am not alone :) Model X reserved.

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes now seem well aware that their top models are being outsold, often by a wide margin, by the Model S. Like Lexus it appears the strategy is to attack the Model S rather than move more rapidly to build their own EVs.

Here's an example from an Audi dealer in Naperville. The A7 has more cargo space than the Tesla? What didn't they count in the Model S? That alone makes the comparison suspicious.

Thank you for the free advertising. Perhaps a dyed in the wool Audi owner would never had considered a Tesla. Seeing a dealer spend money on an add to convince me not to buy it would have me research and test drive the car. Once a buyer investigates Tesla, it is the winner.

As an Audi S6 owner and a Tesla Model S owner, I believe I'm uniquely qualified to respond to them. And I did. The A7/Model S comparison is a valid one, given that these are similar vehicles at a similar price point. They just got some of the details on the Tesla wrong, beginning with the price—which should have mentioned the $7,500 federal tax credit. Mentioning the number of speeds in the transmission seemed like they were reaching. This is why such comparisons should only be done by independent third parties.

It's more than just a few details: "The 2014 Audi A7 Premium Plus and the Tesla Model S share many standard features in common, but the A7 comes out on top by offering features such as keyless ignition, satellite radio and iPod® integration standard."

Is there some variant of the Model S that requires physical key insertion of which I'm unaware?

It's more than just a few details: "The 2014 Audi A7 Premium Plus and the Tesla Model S share many standard features in common, but the A7 comes out on top by offering features such as keyless ignition, satellite radio and iPod® integration standard."

Is there some variant of the Model S that requires physical key insertion of which I'm unaware?

It's not the "keyless", it's the "ignition"; there's no button to press to start the car. Clearly everyone would want to press that button.