Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The secret that is not talked about with the ATVM loan program was that it was created to allow Ford to avoid going into bankruptcy like GM. That's why they got the bulk of the loans, $5.9 billion. The Bush administration still had to sell it to both sides of the fence so it was an Advanced Technology loan program. That high tech angle allowed Tesla and Fisker to join in. It was not easy either, because you had to match whatever funds you got which is what killed a lot of the little fish, like Aptera and others.

Fundamentally the program was there to save Ford from following GM and it succeeded. The whole program is 97.5% successful with Tesla being the shining star of the bunch.

I had never heard this and on it's face it seems quite believable. Are there any links to an article on this? Or can you write one? If true it is an important point to counter the whole "loan programs for EVs is bad." meme.

Actually, mitch672 is right about this. The correlation between youth (roughly speaking "born after 1980") and "not voting Republican" is one of the strongest correlations in the political world. Though not as strong as the correlation between living in a city and "not voting Republican". And by "city" I mean things which are quite small, 10,000 residents.

Yes, but nobody stays young forever (despite our best efforts). Plenty of those youths will grow up to be conservatives. The city correlation is more interesting, but I'd like to see what Nate Silver has to say about it before I draw any conclusions. :)

In fairness to The Motley Fool, you're reading blog articles written by its subscribers. These are different from articles written by the people that actually work for the company. One of the foundations for the company is that they welcome various opinions and ideas. There almost never is a consistent "everyone thinks this way" situation. Matter of fact, one of TMF's services might recommend a stock while another shorts it. I am a subscriber. What I like is that they back up their opinions with a rationale, fact-based, investment thesis.

Two separate services of TMF have recommended buying Tesla, plus one of their "Real Money Portfolios" (which just re-recommended it on Tuesday, good timing). Many subscribers are skeptical, but I'm working on changing that. :biggrin:

Fool seems to think that once the BEV market is large enough to care about, Ford & GM will simply take over. And that's exactly why I use AOL for social media, shop online at Kmart.com, and rock out with my iSony music player.

Yep! Don't forget Blackberry and Palm. They reigned supreme in the smartphone arena until iPhone showed up. Big mistake by Detroit in falling behind this tech.

Yep! Don't forget Blackberry and Palm. They reigned supreme in the smartphone arena until iPhone showed up. Big mistake by Detroit in falling behind this tech.

Agree. I think the point is not that Detroit (or Stuttgart for that matter) don't have the technology but it is a matter of not believing in BEVs.

It's a classic change management problem: If something new comes along, people are typically reluctant to let go of the old, if that means for them that they have done 'the wrong thing' for their entire life up to that point. Tried to summarize the challenge here.

Just look into how much the German car guys think that Diesel cars are better than Hybirds (which is often true for modern Diesel cars). By trying to focus on engineering of better fuel engines, they obviously miss out on the new technology paradigm so there is a chance of building up technology, establishing super chargers and building a brand that will be strong enough to stand by itself.

Agree. I think the point is not that Detroit (or Stuttgart for that matter) don't have the technology but it is a matter of not believing in BEVs.
While I agree with your points, Sebastian, I wouldn't underestimate the hurdles other manufacturers will have in developing the technology for a truly effective BEV -- particularly because they must avoid infringing on Tesla's patents. Tesla has a first-mover advantage not only in branding but technology.

I know, but as far as creating components for an EV there are many different effective ways to do it. What's wrong with all the other EV's on the market? Not the motors or inverters, it's the range. Using LiCo variants in the 18650 format gives Tesla an energy density and cost advantage at this point in time

Are Tesla's patents really the issue? If an established automaker approached Tesla with a reasonable proposal to make use of some of their patents, I suspect the "master plan" side of Elon would help them come to an agreement that's a win EVs as a whole.

A long paper describing how the Model S is not green. http://www.uniteconomics.com/files/Tesla_Motors_Is_the_Model_S_Green.pdf Someone spent a lot of time combing through the forums here, linking member's posts. I have not yet gone through it all, but I really wish Tesla would kill that damn vampire load already.
Blabla, I don't care that much. Currently these CO2 and soot emissions take place next to me and my kids. With EV's that is centralized and my town stays clean. Anyone played simcity here?

A long paper describing how the Model S is not green. http://www.uniteconomics.com/files/Tesla_Motors_Is_the_Model_S_Green.pdf Someone spent a lot of time combing through the forums here, linking member's posts. I have not yet gone through it all, but I really wish Tesla would kill that damn vampire load already.

Yes, the TSLA "shorts" are getting desperate, as they are getting absolutely killed with borrowing charges, and if they decide to cover, face massive losses. They will try ANYTHING to knock the stock price down, even a "research report" like this. I read it, I'm not impressed.

True, but this is a fairly detailed and obviously funded effort, brought to you by http://uniteconomics.com/ which seems to have ties to Weiss, Harrington, and Associates, http://companies.findthecompany.com/l/16631326/Weiss-Harrington-And-Associates-Llc-in-Boston-MA Precursor to a class action lawsuit regarding the energy usage of the Model S? At the very least this will be grabbed onto by the anti EV anti Tesla crowd and used as a bludgeon. If you read through it you can see how he's taken many statements of forum members, in link form to avoid copyright issues, and used them to paint a picture. It's actually worth reading through it to see how deep it goes.

Last edited:
There is a definite agenda here. I love how they say "When the CO2 emitted during the production of the battery pack are incorporated" while blatantly ignoring the energy used to create gasoline or the energy used to create an ICE engine when talking about the gas and hybrid cars they use as examples. And what a wonder, but then the Model S is a terrribly dirty car spewing massive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere.

If you hate EVs then this can be used to further your beliefs and anyone mildly aware knows this crap for what it is - crap.