Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ants attracted to charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this before? Ants are swarming to the charge port. Images attached.

Is this something common with electric cars - are there certain kinds of ants attracted to electric currents like this? I’m in Northern New Jersey, so we don’t have raspberry crazy ants up here (I think). I know they can be attracted to electricity.

Anything I need to be concerned about? Not sure if there’s any real damage they can do.

Will leave some terro traps around where the car chargers.

Attachments

• D63F62F2-884C-44BD-B7EF-A10BDBAF3561.jpeg
    D63F62F2-884C-44BD-B7EF-A10BDBAF3561.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 1,405
  • D6E64791-F8B8-4437-8FAC-A406ACB79E98.jpeg
    D6E64791-F8B8-4437-8FAC-A406ACB79E98.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 1,069
I once had ants nesting around a gfci in my kitchen wall. The amount of eggs they laid was crazy and I was concerned it was going to cause a short and lead to a fire. There is a good chance they are doing just that on your car. Any chance you can put the car in a small garage and bug bomb the garage? Would that kill ants? You should intervene before it gets out of control. Especially before the eggs hatch.

Has anyone seen this before? Ants are swarming to the charge port. Images attached.

Is this something common with electric cars - are there certain kinds of ants attracted to electric currents like this? I’m in Northern New Jersey, so we don’t have raspberry crazy ants up here (I think). I know they can be attracted to electricity.

Anything I need to be concerned about? Not sure if there’s any real damage they can do.

Will leave some terro traps around where the car chargers.
I've had this happen twice so far, both times in Florida, and both times when the cable was on the ground btw the unit and the vehicle.
Both times involving destination chargers.

In fact, it strikes me as a really good reason that supercharger cables are so short.

I didn't have any lasting issues from either incident, although in both cases I was on top of it within probably 8 hours of the start.
My son had a similar issue twice when charging our LEAF at his house in Atlanta...cable on the ground.

I have no idea if ants are attracted to something electrically. I just know that keeping the cable from touching the ground has solved any risk for me.

There have been a few threads on the topic here, and similar threads on Leaf and Volt/Bolt forums, too. A quick look didn't seem to find any consensus on why the ants were attracted to the charge port, other than it was easier to follow a charging cable from the ground than to go all the way through tire, suspension, and so on. Ant control efforts near where your charging cable is stored, and trying to keep it off the ground as much as possible, seems to be your best bet.

Reactions: rpiotro
Went out to my garage and found a ton of little brown ants taking a path to and from the charging cable onto my Model Y. They went in every panel gap on the entire car, but I didn't find any inside the car. The majority seemed to be at the front grill air intake. I have never had this happen to a car inside my garage. I couldn't find where they were coming from after the cable, there were no trails and nothing around the tires. It's very odd. I spent an hour on an ant killing spree and think I have to take the frunk out tomorrow to get inside deeper. I did run the AC on high for a while, with different vents opened and then on Hot doing the same thing, just to stir them up. My car has never been in the rain, so there should be no standing water anywhere inside it and I have never had food in it. This time of year they most likely are looking for water, since my area hasn't had rain since the beginning of the year. I haven't driven it in a week, so there shouldn't be any condensation on the AC coil. I go out to the garage every day and this is the first I have seen ants on my car.

Anyone else go through this?

(moderator note)

Merged with thread on similar topic that you linked to.

=====================================

(regular post)

This is a pretty strange situation. I wonder what specifically they might be being attracted to.

(moderator note)

Merged with thread on similar topic that you linked to.

=====================================

(regular post)

This is a pretty strange situation. I wonder what specifically they might be being attracted to.
It's long been known that fire ants in the Southwest will nest in electrical boxes and fixtures on the ground (like landscape lighting, etc.). Some think it's the warmth from the electric current, and others say it's something about the micro-vibrations caused by alternating current. Don't know, but the little buggers do like electricity.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you have an ant problem, an effective and safe way to kill ants is to use Simple Green cleaner. The Simple Green will not only kill the ants, but will clean the chemicals and odors that the dead ants leave behind. Normally, more ants are attracted to these chemicals and odors. Simple Green will reduce the chance of more ants coming back.

But since Simple Green has a pH of 8.5-9.5, depending on dilution ratio, it may degrade or strip car waxes and sealants. So if you use it to kill ants, you may need to reapply your car wax or sealant.

So today I looked at my car and couldn't find one ant...anywhere. I know last night there were still a lot more inside the front grill vent area. I took out the frunk to get a look under that area and no ants there either. Last night I sprayed around the car and put a light coat on the charging cable, also around where the cable sits. I'll check it again tonight when it's cooler. I'm hoping I don't have a nest somewhere inside my car.

On a side note, when I took off the air intake cover panel in the frunk, it was missing two of those white tabs one on each end and they weren't on the car. They don't seem to be needed because the panel is held in place pretty securely without them. I assume Tesla decided to leave those out on purpose?

Also, I couldn't get that switch disconnected in the frunk. Looked like it has a tiny tab that probably needed to be pushed in to allow the connector to come off, but I had no luck with it. So I ended up slipping the panel through the hole and leaving it in the car when I removed the frunk.

If you have an ant problem, an effective and safe way to kill ants is to use Simple Green cleaner. The Simple Green will not only kill the ants, but will clean the chemicals and odors that the dead ants leave behind. Normally, more ants are attracted to these chemicals and odors. Simple Green will reduce the chance of more ants coming back.

But since Simple Green has a pH of 8.5-9.5, depending on dilution ratio, it may degrade or strip car waxes and sealants. So if you use it to kill ants, you may need to reapply your car wax or sealant.
Windex is another option that I've found to be very effective on the little black Argentine ants; I would expect it work well on other ants too.