Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
giphy.gif

I set a budget for the "new cheap Tesla" when I put my $1,000 down of about $50,000. That was assumed based on Musk estimating he thought the average car, with options, would run around $45,000.

At $60,000 for my current build (Blue, DM, EAP) I am already way over budget...

When the "flood gates" opened over a month ago and I was able to finally place my non-refundable deposit, I became excited I would have the car "soon". I did not expect it to turn into another extended wait like this.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?
This is my EXACT story, brother! Right down to the finest detail that you've mentioned. I too assumed that my "somewhat loaded with the fun stuff" Model 3 would be $50k. I had always wanted DM and EAP, so the car ended up at $60k. And, of course I ordered blue. And of course I have no indication that anything is moving forward with my order, even though I stood in line to reserve, and I placed my AWD order the moment it was available to me (June 26). Each day when I have heard of other deliveries, I've assumed that my email will arrive.... tomorrow. Been doing that for weeks now. Then the 10k AWD VINS were assigned. over a week ago. Must be getting my email tomorrow! Additionally, I live just an hour from the Fremont plant so the car doesn't need to be shipped anywhere (why am I paying delivery fee again??). In six weeks, I've heard nothing except the boilerplate that somebody is studiously putting together a contract for me.

Taking delivery of a non p awd on tuesday the 14th. We had 2 reservations on the account, identical except color, white is about to be delivered and blue still has edit button. Highly color dependent I think .
This is a great post. Same car configuration except for paint, and the blue is MIA? Hmmm. Sounds like AWD blue is getting the cold shoulder here!

Reactions: voip-ninja
This is my EXACT story, brother! Right down to the finest detail that you've mentioned. I too assumed that my "somewhat loaded with the fun stuff" Model 3 would be $50k. I had always wanted DM and EAP, so the car ended up at $60k. And, of course I ordered blue. And of course I have no indication that anything is moving forward with my order, even though I stood in line to reserve, and I placed my AWD order the moment it was available to me (June 26). Each day when I have heard of other deliveries, I've assumed that my email will arrive.... tomorrow. Been doing that for weeks now. Then the 10k AWD VINS were assigned. over a week ago. Must be getting my email tomorrow! Additionally, I live just an hour from the Fremont plant so the car doesn't need to be shipped anywhere (why am I paying delivery fee again??). In six weeks, I've heard nothing except the boilerplate that somebody is studiously putting together a contract for me.

This is a great post. Same car configuration except for paint, and the blue is MIA? Hmmm. Sounds like AWD blue is getting the cold shoulder here!
I was told I was matched to a car today (blue AWD, EAP), and I'd be contacted in the next few days. So hold out hope!

Also, the 1000 delivery fee I'm assuming is the averaged cost of shipping the cars everywhere and they just charge everyone the same fee?

I was told I was matched to a car today (blue AWD, EAP), and I'd be contacted in the next few days. So hold out hope!

Also, the 1000 delivery fee I'm assuming is the averaged cost of shipping the cars everywhere and they just charge everyone the same fee?
I believe someone said they are required to charge everyone the same fee (or I suppose alternatively not charge a fee) by law.

I'd have more hope if you weren't just about to take delivery of my car! :)

I believe someone said they are required to charge everyone the same fee (or I suppose alternatively not charge a fee) by law.
I'm sure there is some weird, nonsensical law about it. I know nothing beyond how silly it is to be paying to deliver something that's picked up where it is made. (worse, though, is paying the "advertising fee" that most dealers charge).

I'd have more hope if you weren't just about to take delivery of my car! :)

I'm sure there is some weird, nonsensical law about it. I know nothing beyond how silly it is to be paying to deliver something that's picked up where it is made. (worse, though, is paying the "advertising fee" that most dealers charge).
Yea BMW did that for a while. Advertising and training fees. Smh. I guess they do it so someone in Maine isn't paying 3000 to ship it and someone in Fremont is paying 0. Just make it all the same. Same as BMW charges the same if you pick it up in South Carolina or Oregon.

From the Autotrader site:

Let's get the bad news out of the way first: That destination charge listed on every new car's window sticker is something you'll have to pay. According to U.S. law, car delivery -- transporting the vehicle from port or assembly plant to dealer showroom -- is always listed as a separate line item on a new-car window sticker. Automakers may use different names to describe it, but it always works the same way, with buyers covering the cost.

Freight, delivery or destination charges ensure that the buyer pays equally to cover the cost of delivering a vehicle to a dealership, regardless of whether the dealership is nearby or far away from the vehicle assembly plant.​

I added the red. Of course everybody assumes that the car actually is transported from port or plant to a showroom. None of that happens in this case, but I pay the same as if it were shipped across the country. So... has the Model 3 delivery charge gone up to $1200 for everybody now. I think it started at $800. Then $1000. And now $1200. Do I have that right?

Added: My current invoice shows $925 destination charge. Ordered June 26. Is everybody paying that same amount? I keep seeing $1200 mentioned now.

Last edited:

Let's get the bad news out of the way first: That destination charge listed on every new car's window sticker is something you'll have to pay. According to U.S. law, car delivery -- transporting the vehicle from port or assembly plant to dealer showroom -- is always listed as a separate line item on a new-car window sticker. Automakers may use different names to describe it, but it always works the same way, with buyers covering the cost.

Freight, delivery or destination charges ensure that the buyer pays equally to cover the cost of delivering a vehicle to a dealership, regardless of whether the dealership is nearby or far away from the vehicle assembly plant.​

I added the red. Of course everybody assumes that the car actually is transported from port or plant to a showroom. None of that happens in this case, but I pay the same as if it were shipped across the country. So... has the Model 3 delivery charge gone up to $1200 for everybody now. I think it started at $800. Then $1000. And now $1200. Do I have that right?
I think there is a truck driver shortage causing issues for everyone. Guess their costs have gone up. Or they are gouging us.

Added: My current invoice shows $975 destination charge. Ordered June 26. Is everybody paying that same amount? I keep seeing $1200 mentioned now.
Started at $1000, went up to $1200 with the other price increases. If you ordered before then you get the lower price. Model S and X have always (at least for a couple years) been $1200.

Started at $1000, went up to $1200 with the other price increases. If you ordered before then you get the lower price. Model S and X have always (at least for a couple years) been $1200.
Hmmm. Then I'm even more confused. I have been charged a $925 Destination Fee for my late June 2018 Model 3 order.

I see a $75 Doc Fee too. Are people combining these for the $1000?