Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any best practises for charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any best practises on charging etc? Should I run it down to 10-20% then charge it back to 90% as needed or should I be charging a small amount each night back to 90%

What's best practises for maintaining good battery health.

To be honest it’s all voodoo and speculation. Experts on here will quote different supporting multiple ways of how best to charge.. and shoot me down in flames.

It will make f all difference if you just charge it and use it. Maybe in 5 years time there might be a difference but who knows? How do you charge your phone, every day or only when it’s flat? Has one way meant your current phone has lasted longer than your previous one?

I put mine on between 12:30-4:30 (5p Octopus Go) every night until it reaches 80 or 90% full. Which, if I’ve been on a long journey, then it takes 3 nights to complete. I like to leave some room to top up 5% or so in the day from solar to keep from exporting before my house batteries fill up😂😂

I’m a tight ar$3

I'm also a tight ar$e so I use the free BP pulse and work chargers as often as I can. This typically means I charge the car (Sept '21 M3LR) up to 90% on AC chargers once or twice a week, I take it down to anything between 15 and 40%. I also use superchargers when I'm doing longer trips but usually charge to 80% (more due to time and also as I only charge as much as I have to due to the cost on super chargers).

I've decided not to worry too much about optimal charging regimes and just use the car to suit me.

Reactions: alangold
Just a couple more comments.
  1. Tesla has spoken: A plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla. And it means that if you do that, you don't have to worry about whether the car is charged or not when you have to abruptly leave on a trip somewhere.
  2. Tesla mildly suggests that 90% is the maximum regular charge when one is doing #1, above. Lots of other people think that 80% is better for battery longevity. There seems to be a difference in that regard with LFP batteries, where going to 100% is a Good Idea.
  3. I've, personally, noted that the range estimation calculator seems to get more accurate when there's deep discharge->deep charge cycles, like on long trips. Usually, the range estimate increases when this happens. Certainly true when first getting the car back in 2018; not so true nowadays in 2022.
  4. If you're about to go on a longish trip somewhere and you know when, charging to 100% on a non-LFP battery just before one leaves doesn't bother Tesla and is recommended practice.
  5. I've occasionally charged to 100% on a road trip at a Supercharger if (a) we're out eating a meal and don't care if takes longer for the car to finish and (b) that's at a non-crowded SC location, where Tesla will let one do that. The idea being that right after eating, we're going to pop into the car and take off. I've gathered that it's not a good idea to charge to 100% and then just let the car sit there. Again, this is with a non-LFP battery.
In the end: None of these charging strategies are that big a deal. Best thing to do: Just Drive the Car 😁.

Reactions: alangold and Sw1000
I keep my phone between 20 and 80%, it's now a year old and battery health is at 100%, i treat my car and anything else with a lithium battery the same way. The single worse thing you can do is to charge it to 100% and leave it there. Most people plug their phones in at night before bed and wonder why the battery degrades so quickly.

Reactions: Ricecooker
Best practice:
10 to 80% on SC will charge in 26 minutes.
Then 80 to 90% will go in another 10 minutes.
And last 10% up to 100% will require another 30 mins+

So always charge to 80% and go to the next SC if you needed and can reach. It is more time effective to charge to 80% and to leave till next one. And better to your battery health

Reactions: pow216 and s88ats
I keep my phone between 20 and 80%, it's now a year old and battery health is at 100%, i treat my car and anything else with a lithium battery the same way. The single worse thing you can do is to charge it to 100% and leave it there. Most people plug their phones in at night before bed and wonder why the battery degrades so quickly.
Samsung have introduced a feature to the Galaxy line to only charge to 85%. Finally common sense basic battery saving features on phones.

I wish apple would introduce something like that for iOS
They do. The phone will learn your habits and charge to 80% overnight and then top up to 100% just before it thinks you're likely to need it i.e. when you wake up. Great if you keep a routine, not so great if you're completely random like me. You can't set a specific percentage though.

But I'd be wary of assuming an iPhone at 100% is actually running with a full battery - all phones do battery management, so it's entirely plausible the phone is already managing it's charge without showing you it's doing it.

Reactions: pow216
In 27 months I've charged the car at 80-90% every day & displayed range has dropped 5% since new. That seems fair given that I've only once deliberately kept it below 10% for the BMS to recalibrate & otherwise, rarely below 30% for more than a few hours.

It is unplugged at night more frequently than plugged in.

LFP 100%, everything else:

Personally, I sit a 50% and then add 1/2 of tomorrow's requirement (I'm retired so only use the car once a week)