Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any configuration regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I regret getting dual chargers. I never use them.

I rarely charge away from home, and 27 rated mi/hr is fast enough charge for me overnight. Given that I could've upgraded to dual chargers after delivery if I found I needed then I really kick myself for ordering them.

I regret getting dual chargers. I never use them.

I rarely charge away from home, and 27 rated mi/hr is fast enough charge for me overnight. Given that I could've upgraded to dual chargers after delivery if I found I needed then I really kick myself for ordering them.

Thank you for posting this - wondered how many folks actually use the dual. I didn't get them - 8 hours to charge my 90 (basically empty) with the single on the HPWC. That's fast enough.

I think if you road trip at all, dual chargers are worthwhile. It's been covered in many places on TMC, but I'll summarize here so the "other side" of the argument is well represented. I wasn't a road tripper at all prior to getting my MS, but we do it all the time now, so keep that in mind as well.

• Resource contention at destination chargers - frequently they'll have one or two at a hotel, and when you find there are three or more Teslas there, you don't have all night to charge. Valets do their best to shuffle cars in, but have twice forgotten to move ours into the queue. Having dual chargers allowed us to rapidly charge up prior to getting on our way in those cases. It also allows us to free up the charger for other cars.
  • Higher amperage public chargers - these are more common in the Pacific NW, but they're around. I've twice received 80A on road trips through Oregon, which allowed me to make it into areas which still are not covered by Superchargers.

If you never road trip or find yourself doing quick turnarounds at the house, I agree that dual chargers are probably overkill. Just remember that if you do show up to a hotel, that you're using up twice the amount of time that others might need, and please share the resource accordingly.