Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any configuration regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite living in NE, we opted not to get the Cold Weather Package. Even after the recent deep freeze, we found preconditioning enough. That said, we also have had rear seat passengers more in our Tesla than any other vehicle since we end up driving most of the time now - either because we just want to drive the car or because we are doing test drives. And since I usually end up in the back seat.....rear heated seats would have been nice.

Husband would say it's not worth the extra $ for the few times we'd need it. I'd say it's not that much in the overall price and we DO live in NE, so get it.

I think the pano is one of those things that either people (like yourself) love or people (like me) rarely use it. I wasn't sure which I was so I got it. No big deal. Better to make that mistake than regret not getting it, I guess.

Do you really NOT use the pano? Unless you purchased the inset to completely cover it, you are using it -- experiencing the feeling of openness -- even when you keep it closed, IMO. That is its advantage over sunroofs.

I rarely open mine but I would never buy a Tesla without it.

I regret buying third row child seats. Never used them.

I go back and forth about the RFS.

Sometimes I reget buying them, other times it's nice to have. Necessary? Absolutely not.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you really NOT use the pano? Unless you purchased the inset to completely cover it, you are using it -- experiencing the feeling of openness -- even when you keep it closed, IMO. That is its advantage over sunroofs.

I rarely open mine but I would never buy a Tesla without it.

Agreed. I never open mine, and I'm not a sunroof person; but my wife and kids love having the pano in the car. I probably wouldn't buy a Model S without one.

I would have skipped the pano roof, I've actually opened it less than a half dozen times in 20,000 miles. I'm a bit conflicted about the sound system; it would have been cheaper and better to use an aftermarket option, as I have done with several cars, but I was leery about installers knowing how to do it safely in the Model S. I would also have changed the upholstery color from gray to tan.

I wish I would have spent the $3000 for the power lift gate, not for the closing but for the limit at the top. My gate will hit the garage door at the top and I already have put a dent in it when I forgot.

You're gonna hate me but I got power lift gate for free! It was a part of a package that I did not order but my car still had it. It was a sweet surprise on delivery day. It has really come in handy.

A relatively minor one....

I've been driving slow cars for awhile now. My history is RX-7, modded 300TT, 545, Civic hybrid, Leaf, now 70D. Well you guessed it, yes the 70D is fast, but sometimes I wish I got the 85D. The few extra miles would have been nice - like save me a total of an hour over 8 months of ownership. And even that is stretching it. The lease payment was $180 a month difference. Not worth it at all for me. But the acceleration would have been nice....

So slight regret over he 85D because of acceleration.

I'm in the same boat as you. All previous cars were slower, but I would do the opposite if I had to do it over again. I'd go 70 w/o dual motor and pocket the cash or get premium interior or something. I live in SoCal so traction is not that big a deal. Also there have been a few times the extra fronk space would have been nice.

My only regret is not giving more consideration to the air suspension. I find the steel coils to provide a ride that is firmer than I like, and uncomfortable on roads in poor condition (which are plentiful in our area). I would have spent some time testing a car with air suspension to see how much better it was. Still might not have sprung for it, depending upon how much difference it makes.
Still, "regret" might be too strong a word for that. Most of the time I am quite happy with the ride, and my passengers have not complained.

Otherwise, I am happy with the choices. I could have lived without the premium interior, but I use the power liftgate constantly, and enjoy the extra interior lighting (but would like more and may enhance it further some day) and like the lighted door handles. Love the paint and upholstery colors, content with the audio (but recognize the UHFS would be better), and enjoy the sunroof even when it is not open. Could have lived without the cold weather package but do enjoy the heated steering wheel, and occasionally use the rear seat heaters. Have not had occasion yet (mild winter so far) to test the windshield wiper heater but I expect that could be very helpful.

Last edited:
I wish I had initially ordered the 21" wheels instead of the upgraded 19" Cyclones for our P85D.

About a month after I got my car last year, a local person was selling a set of non-staggered 21" wheels/tires/sensors that he had taken off his new Model S, so I bought and installed them. I figured the 19" Cyclones and all-season Michelin tires I removed could be used as my winter tires.

Guess what? The 21" wheels and tires (ContiSilents with foam liners) are just as quiet, don't make the car ride any worse, I've (so far) not hit any huge potholes, and I absolutely love the looks and handling of the 21" wheels/tires. So much so that I've left the 21" wheels on for the entire winter. Because they are non-staggered, I can even rotate the wheels for more even tire wear. If it snows I prefer to leave the Tesla in the garage anyway to avoid all the nasty road salt, and I have a 10-year-old SUV I can drive instead.

So I may just put my 19" Cyclones wheels and tires (nearly-new with less than 1000 miles) up for sale to gain back space in the garage.

The only other thing I regret with our yellow leather interior is choosing the light Alcantara headliner instead of black. I figured the light headliner would match the yellow leather and make the car feel more spacious and cooler in the summer. But now I think that a black Alcantara headliner would better match the black Alcantara dashboard and make the interior seem better integrated at the B-pillars.

I am really happy with the NVX. It really helped. It just would have been easier to get the UHFS out of the box.

I contemplated not getting this (and few other options) to go for the bigger battery pack, but ended up with a loaded 70D after taking a weekend test drive in one. amazing ride. How much was the install? I figured if I did get the NVX it would end up being the same price was installed....

Yeah very nice and neat job.

a0f6ab514a6359c6cbe3420b110963c0.jpg
c4418a47ad8dee76eece5ed7bc56bd63.jpg
14c0b6d232e805f7e564699505c03423.jpg
766ebe7853cbe3fa4214c89054115ec7.jpg
e7d1dfcc9454200d9a4e180bb0321ee2.jpg

I regretted getting the UHF sound, though the comments in this thread make me feel otherwise. I haven't felt like it was anything special, but maybe the stock system is worse.

I use the pano, I use the child seats, I use the air suspension. I probably would have liked the red calipers, but I don't mind that I passed on them.

I'm definitely glad I got the 85. I use the range a lot.