TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any consistency in wait time?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ChrisH, Aug 8, 2018.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

All,

I’m guessing there are threads on this already but I couldn’t find a clear answer using the search function.

Is there any consistency in terms of how long people are waiting for VINs/delivery after configuration?

I FINALLY pulled the trigger (was waiting for SR, but wanted to take advantage of the full tax credit) and am curious how long it might be until delivery. The estimate says Oct 18 - Dec 18 but I know that is kind of just a placeholder at this point.

Details are:

Not a previous Tesla owner
    Did not reserve until 2/23/2018
    Configured/ordered on 8/7/2018
    LR RWD
    MSM with PUP
    Aero wheels
    EAP

Planning to trade in current vehicle

Located in western Washington State

The tracking sheets I’ve seen have people getting VINs within 3 days and delivery within 2 weeks in some cases but in other cases people still waiting for a VIN (3+ months).

Has there been any consistency or is it still an unclear waiting game?

TIA

2. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

It's all a bit of a crapshoot these days. You picked a popular RWD configuration, so it's possible you'll get it quickly. No way to tell for sure.

3. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Also,

Has anyone figured out if Tesla waits until all of the checklist items (registration, insurance, financing, etc) are complete before moving someone forward for delivery?

4. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

I'm by new means an expert (just placed my oder 24 hours ago and showing the same Oct-Dec time frame), but based on what the Owner Advisor rep told me those are mostly to facilitate the delivery day experience, so I wouldn't think they have any impact on production. Your initial deposit, the configuration you select and the state you're located seem to be the primary factors. The only "pattern" I've noticed in spending some time with the order tracking sheet is that California customers definitely appear to get VIN & delivery sooner, which is to be expected I guess. I've got 3 dealerships within 5-30 miles of my work / home, wondering if the one I picked is better or worse than the others in terms of priority, but who knows....

As for those requirements, the dealership would probably just withhold car once delivered if you didn't already have proof of insurance, drivers license and financing taking care of because I think they try and get you in/out as quickly as possible.

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah that makes sense to me. Thanks! I’d love to get the car in 2-4 weeks but know I should expect closer to 2-4 months which is what the estimate is! Just crazy to see all of those people getting delivery so quickly!

6. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

I was told by the OA that they are seeing delivery closer to 2-3 months now that production has ramped up. Fingers crossed I’m in mine by Thanksgiving!

7. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

I was “quoted” Sep-Nov for my non-p dual motor and I pick up on th 15th. They are cranking those things out right now.

8. rodrego66

rodrego66 Member

I configured mine on 7/27, paid my $2,500 deposit and they called me six days later on 8/2 for deliver on 8/7, but because of personal scheduling will not be able to pick it up until 8/11. Had to work quick to get the financing lined up.

9. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Ummm I just got an email saying I can pick up August 17th. That’s 10 days from order date. WHAT?!

10. stonelance

stonelance Member

Yeah it seems most RWD orders are delivered in <2 weeks. I think they still have some stockpiles from June\July

11. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

VIN is 49xxx. This is so crazy! Does that VIN line up with a late June production date?

12. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

When did you place order? Also did you change paint color or anything else?

13. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

I placed my order on 31MAY18. The only thing I changed was I added FSD when Mr. Musk put out there they were going to start charging more after delivery.

Day 1 line stander in Bay Area
    Config 31MAY18
    First contact (email) 28JUL18
    VIN (email) 30JUL18
    VIN shows up on confirmation page (same VIN as in email) 08AUG18
    VIN 641XX
    Delivery 15AUG18 Devon, PA
    White, dual motor non-P, aero, black interior, EAP, FSD

14. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

Definitely makes me feel good about prospects of delivery closer to the 2 month mark considering they were still ramping up production during half of your post-order wait time.

15. corduroy

corduroy Member

I believe you can call and ask them to look up the production date, based on the VIN, but the VINs aren't always sequential.

I am also looking at delivery in just over 2 weeks from order date.

16. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

What did you order?

17. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

Ordered 8/7/18
    LR / AWD (non-performance)
    Midnight Silver
    AutoPilot
    Black interior
    18" wheels

Showing October-December delivery time frame, and still have option to edit design.