Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any consistency in wait time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
All,

I’m guessing there are threads on this already but I couldn’t find a clear answer using the search function.

Is there any consistency in terms of how long people are waiting for VINs/delivery after configuration?

I FINALLY pulled the trigger (was waiting for SR, but wanted to take advantage of the full tax credit) and am curious how long it might be until delivery. The estimate says Oct 18 - Dec 18 but I know that is kind of just a placeholder at this point.

Details are:

Not a previous Tesla owner
Did not reserve until 2/23/2018
Configured/ordered on 8/7/2018
LR RWD
MSM with PUP
Aero wheels
EAP

Planning to trade in current vehicle

Located in western Washington State

The tracking sheets I’ve seen have people getting VINs within 3 days and delivery within 2 weeks in some cases but in other cases people still waiting for a VIN (3+ months).

Has there been any consistency or is it still an unclear waiting game?

TIA

Also,

Has anyone figured out if Tesla waits until all of the checklist items (registration, insurance, financing, etc) are complete before moving someone forward for delivery?

I'm by new means an expert (just placed my oder 24 hours ago and showing the same Oct-Dec time frame), but based on what the Owner Advisor rep told me those are mostly to facilitate the delivery day experience, so I wouldn't think they have any impact on production. Your initial deposit, the configuration you select and the state you're located seem to be the primary factors. The only "pattern" I've noticed in spending some time with the order tracking sheet is that California customers definitely appear to get VIN & delivery sooner, which is to be expected I guess. I've got 3 dealerships within 5-30 miles of my work / home, wondering if the one I picked is better or worse than the others in terms of priority, but who knows....

As for those requirements, the dealership would probably just withhold car once delivered if you didn't already have proof of insurance, drivers license and financing taking care of because I think they try and get you in/out as quickly as possible.

I'm by new means an expert (just placed my oder 24 hours ago and showing the same Oct-Dec time frame), but based on what the Owner Advisor rep told me those are mostly to facilitate the delivery day experience, so I wouldn't think they have any impact on production. Your initial deposit, the configuration you select and the state you're located seem to be the primary factors. The only "pattern" I've noticed in spending some time with the order tracking sheet is that California customers definitely appear to get VIN & delivery sooner, which is to be expected I guess. I've got 3 dealerships within 5-30 miles of my work / home, wondering if the one I picked is better or worse than the others in terms of priority, but who knows....

As for those requirements, the dealership would probably just withhold car once delivered if you didn't already have proof of insurance, drivers license and financing taking care of because I think they try and get you in/out as quickly as possible.

Yeah that makes sense to me. Thanks! I’d love to get the car in 2-4 weeks but know I should expect closer to 2-4 months which is what the estimate is! Just crazy to see all of those people getting delivery so quickly!

Yeah that makes sense to me. Thanks! I’d love to get the car in 2-4 weeks but know I should expect closer to 2-4 months which is what the estimate is! Just crazy to see all of those people getting delivery so quickly!

I was told by the OA that they are seeing delivery closer to 2-3 months now that production has ramped up. Fingers crossed I’m in mine by Thanksgiving!

I configured mine on 7/27, paid my $2,500 deposit and they called me six days later on 8/2 for deliver on 8/7, but because of personal scheduling will not be able to pick it up until 8/11. Had to work quick to get the financing lined up.

When did you place order? Also did you change paint color or anything else?

I placed my order on 31MAY18. The only thing I changed was I added FSD when Mr. Musk put out there they were going to start charging more after delivery.

Day 1 line stander in Bay Area
Config 31MAY18
First contact (email) 28JUL18
VIN (email) 30JUL18
VIN shows up on confirmation page (same VIN as in email) 08AUG18
VIN 641XX
Delivery 15AUG18 Devon, PA
White, dual motor non-P, aero, black interior, EAP, FSD

I placed my order on 31MAY18. The only thing I changed was I added FSD when Mr. Musk put out there they were going to start charging more after delivery.

Day 1 line stander in Bay Area
Config 31MAY18
First contact (email) 28JUL18
VIN (email) 30JUL18
VIN shows up on confirmation page (same VIN as in email) 08AUG18
VIN 641XX
Delivery 15AUG18 Devon, PA
White, dual motor non-P, aero, black interior, EAP, FSD

Definitely makes me feel good about prospects of delivery closer to the 2 month mark considering they were still ramping up production during half of your post-order wait time.