Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any details on headline - Arizona pedestrian is killed by Uber self-driving car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Uber disabled an automatic brake system to promote smooth ride for everyone but it's turned out that the article below hints that the engineers wanted to specifically impress their boss that the ride would be incredibly smoother!

Report: Uber self-driving team was preparing for CEO demo before fatal crash

Love the pinned comment by Katana314:
I feel like if I worked at a nuclear plant, someone might say to me "Hey, so about the alarm bell that screams 'MELTDOWN IMMINENT, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY.' you were testing - it was really irritating to some people, and a lot of people were really scared about it. We were wondering if we could tone it down or just get rid of it since we don't want to have meltdowns anyway."

Reactions: croman
Uber allegedly ignored safety warnings before self-driving fatality

There was a whistleblower days before the pedestrian was killed.

Manager Robbie Miller wrote to executives and lawyers complained:

1) Incompetent technology: incidences kept happening
2) Incompetent human driving skills: human driver continued to let the car drive on the sidewalk
3) Lack of sense of urgency for investigations

Very bad name that Uber gave to the science of Autonomous Vehicle.

Reactions: croman
Uber allegedly ignored safety warnings before self-driving fatality

There was a whistleblower days before the pedestrian was killed.

Manager Robbie Miller wrote to executives and lawyers complained:

1) Incompetent technology: incidences kept happening
2) Incompetent human driving skills: human driver continued to let the car drive on the sidewalk
3) Lack of sense of urgency for investigations

Very bad name that Uber gave to the science of Autonomous Vehicle.

Uber needs to get bumper stickers for all their self-driving cars that say "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk."

Uber driver gets 3 years probation.
Quote: Vasquez had previously spent more than four years in prison for two felony convictions — making false statements when obtaining unemployment benefits and attempted armed robbery — before starting work as an Uber driver, according to court records.

Last edited: