Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any experience with the new Tesla home ev charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I’ve reviewed past posts from 2019 about home chargers recs, wondering if anyone has experience with the 2020 Tesla charger (with the added superfluous WiFi)? I will be feeding directly off the box in my garage, have a performance S, and am debating between Tesla vs JuiceBox vs ChargePoint. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

Not opposed to the Tesla charger at all, quality and durability are my main priorities, don’t mind having to deal with the adapter. Have you heard about any problems with the Tesla charger?
Never heard of any issues. Normally these things dont give problems. I did have a clipper creek at one time and it did go bad, I had to warranty it out. Been using my Tesla wall mounted charge since end of 2016.
Id really recommend going tesla charger instead of a 3rd party for the sake of the charger adapter. I hate putting that thing on. Plus that little button on the tesla charger is really useful to open the port. I dont like pushing down on the port and putting pressure on it. I feel like those things break and I would prefer it open itself. I have already had a charge port replaced due to failure.

I’ve had my Tesla charger for almost 3 years and it works as well as the day I bought it with zero problems thus far. Incredibly convenient and no messing with any adapter and the through speed gives my S a 80-90% charge generally within about 3-4 hrs. Works perfect whether we’re charging our Model 3 or the S. Content and would recommend.

Hi,
I’ve reviewed past posts from 2019 about home chargers recs, wondering if anyone has experience with the 2020 Tesla charger (with the added superfluous WiFi)? I will be feeding directly off the box in my garage, have a performance S, and am debating between Tesla vs JuiceBox vs ChargePoint. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

Lots of overheating issues with the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector. Some threads on TMC here:

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

Defective Wall Charger 3

Gen 3 Wall Connector Wifi issue

My gen 1 and gen 2 Tesla HPWCs work great, and I like being able to open the charge port with the button on the plug.

However, it sounds like Tesla needs to work some bugs out of their Gen 3 HPWC.

I recommend installing a 6-50 outlet and ordering a 6-50 plug from Tesla for the UMC that comes with the car. You can upgrade later to the Gen 3 HPWC after Tesla gets it sorted out. If you use 60 A capable wiring, then it will be easy to set the HPWC up to charge at its 48 A maximum speed.

Otherwise, JuceBox and Clipper Creek make good generic EVSEs that can charge any EV, including Teslas if you don’t mind using Tesla’s adapter.

GSP

I installed two gen 3 Tesla WCs in my garage at the beginning of the year and have not had a single issue. It does sound like there were a few bad batches of them that overheat. Tesla is aware of the issue as you’ll see in the other threads. Unless I had another EV, I’d never consider a different charger - if you stick with Tesla, have it permitted/installed professionally, and run into issues, they’ll help you get it sorted out. Anything else and you’re SOL if you run into problems

I just installed a 14-50 receptacle and purchased a mobile connector that I leave permanently installed. If the UMC ever dies, I can easily just plug in another one. The UMCs are a lot cheaper than a HPWC, and the gen 1 UMC will still do 40A if you need/want the extra current.

Reactions: anandoc
My gen1 and gen2 has worked great since the day I owned it and would still recommend it. But just food for thought. As more EVs start emerging, you may want to consider what your future needs will be. Pretty cool EVs like Lucid Air, EV trucks, and others have really changed the overall EV landscape. You may want to consider your garage layout for wall chargers. But I digress... good luck!

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Using the UMC that came with the car is cheap and painless. Yoiu just need to install a receptacle and that shouldn't be too expensive since your panel is in the garage. If you do install a dedicated receptacle you might consider running #6 wire in case you decide to convert to a WC later. Also, as of 2017 electrical code, which may or may not be in effect in your area, receptacles for EVSE require GFCI breakers, and these are pretty pricy.

If you go with a non-Tesla (j1772) EVSE, that would allow you to charge non-Tesla EVs also. Most are limited to 32 amps though (as is the mobile connector). Probably not an issue if you're charging overnight.

If you want full speed 48A charging and maximum convenience then the Tesla WC is the way to go.