Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any features for FSD cars yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I've been out of touch since fall so have not followed developments. I'm wondering if people who paid for FSD have yet received any features that are not also available to people who have EAP? I bought EAP when I originally ordered the car, and I'm very happy with it. I notice that the "surrounding car" icons are still way off: Cars in the adjacent lanes that are smack-dab in the center of their lanes where they belong, are shown WAYYY over the line into my lane on the screen. Not sure if this bodes well for the rapid arrival of anything like FSD. But mainly for now just wondering if there is as yet any actual differentiation between EAP and FSD.

I didn't get FSD in part because it didn't occur to me that there might be useful features available in the FSD package before the car was actually capable of fully driving itself, which I expect to be 5 to 10 years away. I know there have been promises and hints and speculations. But any actual features yet???

The advanced summon is only firmware or two away. We've seen several beta videos.

As you might know, they've gotten rid of EAP and have separated it out into AP and FSD. FSD now encompasses advanced summon, NoA, etc. whereas AP is just basic lane keeping and TACC.

Nothing yet. We are still waiting on Advanced Summon that is part of EAP. After that, new features should be part of FSD.

I am not clear if the red light detection is part of EAP (I believe it is). Once the cars recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs - that will be FSD.

The advanced summon is only firmware or two away. We've seen several beta videos.

As you might know, they've gotten rid of EAP and have separated it out into AP and FSD. FSD now encompasses advanced summon, NoA, etc. whereas AP is just basic lane keeping and TACC.

I'm confused. I had NOT heard that they'd eliminated EAP and separated it into AP and FSD. I bought EAP, but my screen shows me that I can activate Navigate on Autopilot, whereas you say that's FSD only. Did they boost me into FSD???

My screen also shows me that I can set up Summon, though I have not tried that yet. Since I'll be moving soon, there doesn't seem much point in setting it up here.

I'm confused. I had NOT heard that they'd eliminated EAP and separated it into AP and FSD. I bought EAP, but my screen shows me that I can activate Navigate on Autopilot, whereas you say that's FSD only. Did they boost me into FSD???

My screen also shows me that I can set up Summon, though I have not tried that yet. Since I'll be moving soon, there doesn't seem much point in setting it up here.

If you bought EAP when it was available, you're grandfathered into what EAP was *before* they split it into AP and new FSD. So you get to keep Nav on Autopilot, Summon, and Autopark, which are all now new FSD features. But it doesn't mean you got boosted into FSD.

Reactions: JeffK
I have FSD (or at least bought for 2K). Since then got 8.3 update with red light detection, but never have noticed any warning and tried to to see if it would work.
I believe the traffic light and sign detection is only for early access users. Those are users who bought FSD prior to the new "three tier" categories (Autopilot, EAP, and FSD). They were granted this special status for having paid Tesla money for something that didn't exist.

In regards to the tiers, there are now three:

Autopilot - Includes Autosteer and TACC

EAP - Owners who only purchased EAP prior to the new Autopilot / FSD tiering. This includes Autosteer, TACC, Summon, and Navigate on Autopilot. This is no longer for sale, but if you had it prior to the new two-tier (Autopilot / FSD) products then you continue to get any updates to those features. This is no longer for sale.

FSD - Prior to change, this included no released features. It now includes Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Park, Summon, and will include Enhanced Summon when it is released. Most likely, this will now be the package required for all new features.

Some of that is a prediction, so I hereby declare that this is all subjective and I cannot be held legally responsible for Tesla's decisions. Or, you can sue me. Whatever.

Not yet.

Check back in a year.

Enhanced Summons doesn't count as that you have that with EAP
Unconfirmed lane changes also doesn't count as you have that with EAP
Passive stoplight detection doesn't count as everyone with HW2+ will likely get that.
Freeway level NoA improvements don't count as you have that with EAP

Would be interesting to see what the first feature is that you miss out on. I imagine it's going to be the HW3 upgrade.

Stopping for a red light under AP could be the first actual SW feature. I figure it's going to be 6-12 months before that as it's only now in an Early access build.

I believe the traffic light and sign detection is only for early access users. Those are users who bought FSD prior to the new "three tier" categories (Autopilot, EAP, and FSD). They were granted this special status for having paid Tesla money for something that didn't exist.

Although Tesla promised Early Access Program to anyone who had originally purchased FSD, they have not granted this to anyone yet and they have since added the caveat that it is subject to space being available in the program and it is currently full.

Being in the EAP program doesn't actually get you early access to most updates but will get certain firmware releases early for beta testing/guinea pig program. I know they had received Ver 9 early for testing and currently receiving 2019.9 that includes Enhanced Summon (which you can find plenty of owners breaking their NDA on YouTube demonstrating).

Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs (and automatic driving on city streets) are two updates promised later this year and most likely will be the first two FSD updates (even for people with the original Enhanced Auto Pilot). None of the Early Access customers are testing those yet. It is likely Tesla employees are currently testing those features and may required HW3 to work properly.

Thanks for all the replies.

What is meant by "automatic driving on city streets"? Both TACC and autosteer work presently on city streets, and lane change works on some city streets in my EAP car.

Does "passive red light detection" mean that it would tell you there's a red light, but will not stop for the light? (Presumably they could be worried about false positives which would cause the car to stop in the middle of traffic.)

And what's the difference between "enhanced" summon and regular summon?

Off topic:

Note: On South Kihei Road, in Maui, there are pedestrian crossings where a person can press a button, and rather than a red light, there's a pair of small strobe lights that warn that someone may be crossing the street. They would not look like a red light to the car, and when they start flashing, cars have to stop, but when the person finishes crossing the street, if nobody else enters the crosswalk, cars can go again even if the strobes are still flashing. These are located in places where there is no intersection. I think they may all be at beach access points, though not all beach access points have one. This will be very difficult for a true autonomous car. I'll bet there are other kinds of traffic issues where localities have dealt with unusual situations in creative ways.

Even when red light detection truly works, it probably won't work for this. And what about places where a stop sign is obscured by foliage?

Thanks for all the replies.

What is meant by "automatic driving on city streets"? Both TACC and autosteer work presently on city streets, and lane change works on some city streets in my EAP car.

The owners manual states autosteer/lane change are explicitly not intended for use anywhere but limited-access divided highways.

If you're using them on local roads you're using them where Tesla does not intend you to.

automatic driving on city streets would be a more advanced version that is intended for such use.

Does "passive red light detection" mean that it would tell you there's a red light, but will not stop for the light? (Presumably they could be worried about false positives which would cause the car to stop in the middle of traffic.)

Yup- it just would warn you if it thinks you're about to run a red light, but not prevent you from doing so.

And what's the difference between "enhanced" summon and regular summon?

Regular just lets you move the car forward/backward at very short range (40 feet I think max?)

Enhanced, the car will navigate to wherever you are or tell it to go (up to 150 foot range in current test version) including exiting a parking spot, turning, etc.

@Knightshade. Thanks for those clarifications. It's curious that Tesla allows the use of features on roads where it says they are not intended for use.

I don't use EAP on residential streets because there are too many stops to be worth it. I do use it sometimes on main thoroughfares. Always fully alert. Always hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. But for lane-keeping and adjusting speed for the traffic, it's a better driver than I am. It's also curious that when the car is driving, I'm more laid back about people getting in front of me. It doesn't bother me when the car is driving, as it does when I'm driving. It really is a better driver than I am, for road conditions when it can drive.

I actually bought EAP just for the TACC. But once I got used to autosteer, I really like it. Especially on highways. I'll pay for FSD when there is a feature I want. Elon's chrono-optimism means that we have no idea when a promised feature will really be available, so I'm not going to try to second-guess timelines by buying any promises. When FSD was first announced, Elon's words made it seem as though he expected the car to be fully autonomous while most early buyers still owned their cars. And with existing hardware. I expect to own this one for 5 to 7 years, then buy an even better Tesla and drive it for 5 to 7 years before they bring out the real fully-autonomous car, which I will buy if I'm still walking around.