TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any good places to rotate tires near MA/NH?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by blue_101, Sep 16, 2015.

1. blue_101

blue_101 New Member

I picked up my T on June 30th, I've already driven 4500 miles on it. They are 19' wheels, so I saw that they need to be rotated every 6K miles.
    The SC in Dedham and Watertown are still too far away, looking for a reputable place that deals with Tesla's often. Any suggestions? I'm in the Salem, NH and Andover, MA area.
    I did buy the 4 yr service plan, but how many times will they rotate my tires for free? I was really just looking for a place that sells a unlimited/N-yrs tire rotation plan close by.

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I did mine in my garage at home :)

just need two jacks.

3. blue_101

blue_101 New Member

So there's nothing else I would need, like alignment?

4. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

Not necessary. Just a 21mm socket and torque wrench capable of ~130ft lbs. If you want to rotate diagonally, it may be a pain to have a place to put one wheel as the other one is still on the ground. Maybe someone else knows how to get 4 wheels in the air, without a lift. Swap a snow tire in/out?

5. anthony

anthony Member

I would just get a set of 21's and put winter tires on the 19's. Then you'll only need one jack.

6. blue_101

blue_101 New Member

Thanks guys!

7. sbanks

sbanks Member

I work in Salem, NH and have had Sullivan Tire on North Broadway rotate mine. Had my MS85 11 months and have 30k miles on her.

8. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Just remember that if you choose to rotate tires, you will be introducing a second wear pattern on the tread. This will create tire noise down the road. You are trading some extra mileage on the tires or extra noise.......take your pick.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The main problem when rotating (if you don't do it yourself) is that they may mess up the nuts. The nuts have a cap on them that is easily damaged.

As far as the "noise after rotation" goes, if you do a first rotation very early in the tire's life so that each tire gets a turn on the drive axle, you'll likely never encounter it. Also all tires get noisier as they wear down, so I suspect that's where most of the "louder after rotation" comes from. If something caused the tire to have an odd wear pattern, you'll get extra noise whether you rotate it or not.