Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any history of after delivery FSD discounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my SR+ for just over a week now and I already am so impressed with the technology and autopilot that I seriously wish I had FSD. I know it isn’t a huge leap right now, but I would LOVE to be able to keep AP engaged when needing to change lanes (because a lane is ending etc) when on the highway. I also now have considerably more faith in Tesla delivering self driving on city streets. Maybe not in October, and maybe not full autonomous this year or next, but I do see continuous improvements being a realistic expectation and a HUGE benefit as a driver aid.

Has there been any history of FSD being discounted at all to get people to purchase it after delivery? Any chance end of quarter they push for more cash flow and reduce or adjust the price down? $6k right now just feels killer, but I probably would cave and get it for $4k or so...

• Funny
Reactions: Chewy3
I’ve had my SR+ for just over a week now and I already am so impressed with the technology and autopilot that I seriously wish I had FSD. I know it isn’t a huge leap right now, but I would LOVE to be able to keep AP engaged when needing to change lanes (because a lane is ending etc) when on the highway. I also now have considerably more faith in Tesla delivering self driving on city streets. Maybe not in October, and maybe not full autonomous this year or next, but I do see continuous improvements being a realistic expectation and a HUGE benefit as a driver aid.

Has there been any history of FSD being discounted at all to get people to purchase it after delivery? Any chance end of quarter they push for more cash flow and reduce or adjust the price down? $6k right now just feels killer, but I probably would cave and get it for $4k or so...
They had a $5k deal for FSD I think in February for people that did not have AP at all. But no guarantee. You could ask your sales advisor to see if they may extend any original purchase offers since it’s so recent.

Reactions: groovidad
Has there been any history of FSD being discounted at all to get people to purchase it after delivery? Any chance end of quarter they push for more cash flow and reduce or adjust the price down?

There are claimed instances recently (@shimmy) of AP owners purchasing the EAP->FSD upgrade for $3k.

The minimum widely offered post-purchase price (to EAP owners, not AP owners) so far has been $2k. Currently for EAP owners it is $3k.

Absolutely it's a possibility that it will be discounted in the future, even to AP owners. Obviously no one knows exactly what will happen. It will depend on market conditions, Tesla's situation, and their FSD development.

FSD will likely be a level 2 system (requires fully attentive driver) for the next couple years so I don't anticipate any price hikes until (if) they actually get beyond that.

I could also see them creating an upgrade path to EAP functions for HW2.5 owners who are currently with AP at some point in the future. That would be cheaper. But who knows.

Reactions: groovidad
They had a $5k deal for FSD I think in February for people that did not have AP at all. But no guarantee.

Occasionally, Tesla pushes promotional "trial" periods for AP to sell it. Followed by a short-timed promotional price offer on that feature with a $1K discount.
They used to do the same for EAP a year or two ago.
I haven't heard of them doing the same with FSD, as frankly, there isn't much to trial right now.

There are claimed instances recently (@shimmy) of AP owners purchasing the EAP->FSD upgrade for $3k.

That's different.
EAP customers had already paid $6-8K for EAP (roughly same feature set as the renamed FSD). So Elon threw them a bone and only charged them another $3K to get what they thought they paid for under EAP.

You could ask your sales advisor to see if they may extend any original purchase offers since it’s so recent.

Pre-purchase and post-purchase FSD pricing is the same right now: $6K.

Infer from that what you will about the demand...

That's different.
EAP customers had already paid $6-8K for EAP (roughly same feature set as the renamed FSD). So Elon threw them a bone and only charged them another $3K to get what they thought they paid for under EAP.

You didn't read my post, there was a reason I put AP in bold ;) . @shimmy (who had only AP) got the FSD upgrade recently for $3k. As I said, it is a claim. I doubt he's the only one, in any case. Not an official deal of course.

Also EAP was $5k at purchase.

Last edited:
Occasionally, Tesla pushes promotional "trial" periods for AP to sell it. Followed by a short-timed promotional price offer on that feature with a $1K discount.
They used to do the same for EAP a year or two ago.
I haven't heard of them doing the same with FSD, as frankly, there isn't much to trial right now.

They did a promotion for model 3’s. 5k for FSD if you had not purchased any AP related options.

Tesla's autopilot bait-and-switch does a disservice to early buyers who took them at their word - Electrek

Here is the quote out of this long article... to save you reading.
“Consider an early Model 3 owner who purchased both AP and FSD before delivery (*the author of this article may fall into this exact category). For these two options, they will have paid $8,000, being told at the time that if they were to purchase them after delivery it would have cost them $10,000 (or $11,000 after Tesla raised the post-delivery price of FSD – and before they removed the package entirely due to “confusion”). Now, compare that to an owner who purchased neither AP or FSD – that owner can receive the same benefit today at a cost of $5,000, which is $3k less than the first owner paid (or $5k less than what they were told the post-delivery price would be).”

You didn't read my post, there was a reason I put AP in bold ;) . @shimmy (who had only AP) got the FSD upgrade recently for $3k. As I said, it is a claim. I doubt he's the only one, in any case. Not an official deal of course.

May, or may not have, happened.
Would be easier to believe such a claim if there was any data to back it up (other than anonymous post on internet).
Then again, Tesla could have made a mistake and treated someone as an EAP customer when they only had AP. Not likely, but not impossible.

Also EAP was $5k at purchase.

Good to know, thanks.

FSD was marketed to me as a $6K "buy now, or you will never see this price again" option pre-delivery earlier this year.
I passed.
Then the FSD price got bumped to $8K for a month or two.
Then the FSD price dropped to $6K now, post-delivery.
Then Elon threatened to jack it up to $8K again, then neglected to do so.

If FSD product ever gets real, and I can test drive it to validate its functionality, I might consider it at some future date.
As-is, what is being currently sold is worth, probably, $250 to me. And even that as a shits-n-giggles "look I can control my car by remote" gag to show off to friends. The rest are flaky unreliable promises.

There is no way in hell I'm laying out $5-8K for a pig in a poke!

YMMV,
a

May, or may not have, happened.

As I have said, it’s a claim. I have not seen hard evidence from @shimmy.

Tesla could have made a mistake and treated someone as an EAP customer when they only had AP. Not likely, but not impossible

I think this is somewhat more likely than some random person on the internet making stuff up about exactly which FSD package they bought, for weird reasons. But neither is a particularly rare event so I would not be surprised either way.

If you listen to Elon, they were supposed to have RAISED it by $1,000 last week, and keep raising it whenever new features come online. They didn't, but that doesn't mean they won't in the near future...or they might have a sudden sale, who knows? Personally, I refuse to play the game, and won't buy at all.

Reactions: wgood33
If you listen to Elon, they were supposed to have RAISED it by $1,000 last week, and keep raising it whenever new features come online. They didn't, but that doesn't mean they won't in the near future...or they might have a sudden sale, who knows? Personally, I refuse to play the game, and won't buy at all.
My feeling is the same as yours, I will not play (pay). Elon is so inconsistent in many respects, wearisome for those who are paying close attention. He sometimes reminds me of Trump. The amazing product makes me forgive/ignore his flakyness.

Reactions: vickh
They would have me at a lower price as well, so I guess I would play.:rolleyes: AP at $2000, FSD at $(I'm not sure).
I thought this car would have adaptive cruise, my only disappointment with the purchase.

hopefully year end

No AP trials lately either. Per a sales guy ever b/c all new cars except SR are bundled with it :(

I too would buy at the right price. $9000 is no where near the right price. ($3000 for AP, which I don't have, & $6000 for FSD).

I would have bought in March, the last time it was on sale, but I missed it by one day. I've been waiting for another 50% off sale since.

I'll keep waiting. It's something I may want. I certainly don't need it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I too would buy at the right price. $9000 is no where near the right price. ($3000 for AP, which I don't have, & $6000 for FSD).

I would have bought in March, the last time it was on sale, but I missed it by one day. I've been waiting for another 50% off sale since.

I'll keep waiting. It's something I may want. I certainly don't need it.

so it was $4500 in March?