Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issue with having the switching and solar gear outside and Powerwall in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That 3 foot from a wall is going to be a challenge for any battery system. I hope they amend that or I will probably not get a powerwall. Not sure where one would put it inside or out and want to run 3+ feet of electrical conduit between wall and the Powerwall. Also does the 3 foot foot between "other equipment" mean Powerwalls need to be separated by 3 feet from each other?

If these are the codes and there is no variance I will likely not be able to install a Powerwall any will need to install something like a gas generator for backup from the PSPS.
Yes, 3' between Power walls. Your local fire department can make exceptions. Ours is very rigid.

Yes, 3' between Power walls. Your local fire department can make exceptions. Ours is very rigid.

Interesting. I see so many people installing them touching each other. I guess more than one Powerwall would be out since that triggers the over 20 KW limit.

We have a call with Tesla tomorrow and will bring this up. This is going to kill Tesla solar + Powerwall sales. And increase sales of Genrec natural gas generators.

I just sent over my photos of the wall where my electric panel is located. The Tesla Energy associate indicated they would install inside the garage as the only exterior wall near the panel faces west. Even though the garage wall is 80'+ away from the panel, they want to install inside to protect the PWs from afternoon heat.

I wanted my panels inside and they told me its better outside. I pushed for inside because I "thought" it would be better. They said that install only covers so much and If I push there may be extra charges. I let them do the panels outside and it turned out great. The only conduit added in my garage was to get the main wire back to my panel as they could go into the back from the meter can as previously wired (I'm sure that has to do with not running wires back through meter box)
IMG_8272.jpg
IMG_8276.jpg

I wanted my panels inside and they told me its better outside. I pushed for inside because I "thought" it would be better. They said that install only covers so much and If I push there may be extra charges. I let them do the panels outside and it turned out great. The only conduit added in my garage was to get the main wire back to my panel as they could go into the back from the meter can as previously wired (I'm sure that has to do with not running wires back through meter box)View attachment 476391 View attachment 476394
Hmmm, @davidwpb So you were not required to have a disconnect switch outside for your installation?

That looks like the breakers for the Solar and PW, and that might be to code in his county...In my county there has to be a single exposed disconnectView media item 120602

@chrisbaily13 - Your disconnect looks just like my disconnect did when I only had PV panels.
My current disconnect which includes Powerwalls looks like davidwpb's setup
60 amp disconnect for PV
(4) four 30 amp disconnects for (4) powerwalls
All in the same box (behind the door) and selectable

I wanted my panels inside and they told me its better outside. I pushed for inside because I "thought" it would be better. They said that install only covers so much and If I push there may be extra charges. I let them do the panels outside and it turned out great. The only conduit added in my garage was to get the main wire back to my panel as they could go into the back from the meter can as previously wired (I'm sure that has to do with not running wires back through meter box)
@davidwpb good data point to substantiate that PW installs need to take one day. It was a lot of work for Tesla to run 40ft of conduit inside (beautifully routed around plumbing soffits) to the opposite wall in the garage. I had other things going for me, I have a CLEAN empty tho' finished garage, and service panel had space on the inside wall. Some of the PW finishing work was finished the early afternoon next day where they installed the 100A Tesla HPWC.

@chrisbaily13 - Your disconnect looks just like my disconnect did when I only had PV panels.
My current disconnect which includes Powerwalls looks like davidwpb's setup
60 amp disconnect for PV
(4) four 30 amp disconnects for (4) powerwalls
All in the same box (behind the door) and selectable
@KY-Lonewolf I have one of those boxes too...but it is inside the garage. View media item 120489 The box on the far right with 4 conduits running to/from it.

Hmmm, @davidwpb So you were not required to have a disconnect switch outside for your installation?
No disconnect installed or shown on the plans. I recall reading something on the plans about the breaker being considered disconnect per NEC. SInce the panels are outside, maybe thats why I didnt need one. That said, the install is not dont so they could install one on the roof, but I doubt that would happen as its not readily accessible and defeats the purpose.

@davidwpb good data point to substantiate that PW installs need to take one day. It was a lot of work for Tesla to run 40ft of conduit inside (beautifully routed around plumbing soffits) to the opposite wall in the garage. I had other things going for me, I have a CLEAN empty tho' finished garage, and service panel had space on the inside wall. Some of the PW finishing work was finished the early afternoon next day where they installed the 100A Tesla HPWC.
In case you want more data, it was a three man team working from 9am to 2pm, one guy left and the otheres finished install. There was some cleaning up of wiring in my panel they did and they drilled through a DIY install I did and they re-installed better than I had it to begin with. They couldn't leave until FPL came back to turn the power on, the crew was from 2 hours north and they were going to have a replacement come wait for FPL to turn my power back on. Luckily FPL showed up just as the team was going to be replaced around 4pm.

In case you want more data, it was a three man team working from 9am to 2pm, one guy left and the otheres finished install. There was some cleaning up of wiring in my panel they did and they drilled through a DIY install I did and they re-installed better than I had it to begin with. They couldn't leave until FPL came back to turn the power on, the crew was from 2 hours north and they were going to have a replacement come wait for FPL to turn my power back on. Luckily FPL showed up just as the team was going to be replaced around 4pm.
@davidwpb Interesting that FLP had to come turn the power back on....My electrician pulled the meter themselves and reinstalled it when they were ready for power. Guessing that is just a requirement of different utilities. We have TECO in my part of the state.

@davidwpb Interesting that FLP had to come turn the power back on....My electrician pulled the meter themselves and reinstalled it when they were ready for power. Guessing that is just a requirement of different utilities. We have TECO in my part of the state.
It might have to do with the way its wired. FPL i think needed to be there to pull and reinstall the meter, but maybe not if the electrician has permission. The reason they cut power is that the electrician had to re-wire the meter box in my setup and one set of connections in the box would be hot if the power was not cut. So, probably just due to the way it had to be wired to give me full home back-up.