Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issues having no connectivity for a few consecutive days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be taking my new MS camping occasionally. There are times when we will be in the middle of nowhere with no cell connectivity for a few days. Any issue with keeping the car 'in the dark' for so long? Will it continuously try to phone home and waste battery? Is there a way to put the car into a deep sleep mode to minimize vampire drain during that time?

There is no physical problem, assuming of course you have sufficient battery for your MS to still be alive when you return from your hike and get you to where you need to go. If you want to maximize saving your battery charge, I'd suggest two things:

1. Controls / Displays / Energy Saving: ON & Always Connected Checked -- that combo is discussed in other threads, but in my tests of each combination, offered me the best reduction in daily vampire drain when parked while retaining the ability to connect my Tesla App back to the car within a few seconds assuming my MS has cell connectivity. Keep Energy Saving ON and turn the checkbox OFF, and MS won't try as often to occassionally check since you'll be out of range. You'll save just a tad bit more rated range (<1mi/day on my S90D) by unchecking that box, but I personally don't bother with it as I then have to remember to check it again for normal use so I'm not waiting minutes if I want my Tesla App to connect with my MS -- I hate feeling like I need an airplane/spaceship checklist when I get in and out of my MS switching options around.
  2. If you listen to USB audio, either unplug your USB devices or switch to say an FM channel before you leave your MS. There is discussion elsewhere about the Media Player doing phantom playing while it's otherwise OFF (an acknowledged unresolved bug), and I'm personally not 100% convinced of every condition that causes it to play by itself, but have found it can add 2-3 miles to daily vampire drain on my S90D if I don't take preemptive action. My thought is, just remove any USB sticks if you have one plugged-in before you exit your MS, to be absolutely sure.

Have a great vacation. Your MS will peacefully sleep and manage itself awaiting your return. Oh yeah, if you're gone several days, don't be alarmed when you come back if you need to physically touch your door handle while you have your FOB to get them to present -- Tesla, like most auto mfgrs, reduces frequency and turns off some antenna/broadcast things to save even more energy when your MS is off for extended periods.

Last edited:
I'll be taking my new MS camping occasionally. There are times when we will be in the middle of nowhere with no cell connectivity for a few days. Any issue with keeping the car 'in the dark' for so long? Will it continuously try to phone home and waste battery? Is there a way to put the car into a deep sleep mode to minimize vampire drain during that time?
Not an issue. Happens all the time driving through Nebraska. When you get back into cellphone range, you may have to reboot the 17" display to get immediate connection. Vampire drain mostly comes from things other that the phone.