Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S holdouts out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I think I'm one of them and I get the sense there are others. I've test driven the MS twice now, love it, want it, and am so close to ordering. However I can't help but think that with the model 3 release coming up soon, they're going to have to (my opinion here) announce something about the model S as well. I'm not saying anything drastic but maybe at least some interior upgrades or changes. I've read where some current new owners are recommending to hold back and take a wait-and-see approach with the MS launch. I'd be interested to see how many of us are sitting on the fence before we consider buying.

Just get the car. Anything announced this year is probably going to be cosmetic. I dont regret not waiting at all, even though i could've saved $2000 by delaying my purchase by 2 months. The car is fun to drive and i can't see myself driving a non-tesla ever again. The Model S went from 2012-2016 without any major design changes, dont think there will be another design change from 2016-2017....

• Helpful
Reactions: cdub and tga
Yes, this!
After 2 test drives, one being an extended weekend loan, I've had my Model S configured and waiting deposit for 2 weeks now.
Something keeps holding me back. Like you say, I have a feeling something else is coming.
The Tesla sales guy emailed me last week to see if there was anything else he can do for me to put the order in before the end of the week, so I purposely waited the week out but will likely hit the order button on Monday.

ps. In the 2 weeks I've been waiting to order, I've changed my mind on colour 3 times! Glad I held out.

I expect the interiors and luxury to be improved at the very least. Model S is twice the base price of a Model 3. But currently is not worth twice the price. Hence I am waiting.
If we are lucky they might start using the new battery cells which reduce cost, so we may get further quality improvements.

I am planning to wait until 200k cars are sold and then order.

I don't think you'll see much happen with the S for several months at best. It will still be a better car than the 3, and Tesla is laser-focused on the 3 launch right now with not a lot of bandwidth for playing around with the comparatively low-volume S or X.

Actually word form our techs and SC staff is interior announcements may come either at Model 3 launch or shortly thereafter. The model S interior has been essentially the same since 2012 and Elon will have to separate S and 3 more than ever. We are considering another one and all the sales folk we know have all hinted to wait just a month longer or I'll likely regret it. Ie. head up display, reclining rear seats, auto open/close doors (as in model X) and perhaps even some extra rear passenger controls. Most of the staff are hearing quiet whispers out of California.

Normally for minor tweaks like seats and center consoles...sure order away. But a major refresh I'd wait.

Myself I took possession of our 90D literally a week before they announced the refresh fascia and my brand new car was instantly relegated to a 2012-2015 style with only a week of ownership. Never again. This time I'll time it to after a big announcement :) Sometimes patience really IS a virtue.

I expect the interiors and luxury to be improved at the very least. Model S is twice the base price of a Model 3. But currently is not worth twice the price. Hence I am waiting.
If we are lucky they might start using the new battery cells which reduce cost, so we may get further quality improvements.

Porsche Boxster starts at a little over $50k, the 911 at about $90k. At that near double price luxury should be far greater in the 911 than the Boxster, but after 20 years it's not. Yet I'm sure there are propective 911 owners holding off until that happens -- which will be sometime near the year never.

Porsche Boxster starts at a little over $50k, the 911 at about $90k. At that near double price luxury should be far greater in the 911 than the Boxster, but after 20 years it's not. Yet I'm sure there are propective 911 owners holding off until that happens -- which will be sometime near the year never.

Look at the new 2017 Panemara. That should give anyone hints as to what Tesla need to do to its interior :)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
If tesla has the same build quality and interior features / design as 911, I would be happy. The thing is Model S interior does not feel like a 100k car.
Also, you get better 0-60 with 911 compared to base Boxter. But the entry level 0-60 for Model 3 and Model S is the same!
There is nothing worth paying twice the price for a Model S. Yes its bigger and has more screens and some additional features, but not worth twice the price.
Elon knows this and he is anti-selling Model 3. Either Model S should improve or price should reduce else its sales will be cannibalized by Model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Because I think I'm one of them and I get the sense there are others. I've test driven the MS twice now, love it, want it, and am so close to ordering. However I can't help but think that with the model 3 release coming up soon, they're going to have to (my opinion here) announce something about the model S as well. I'm not saying anything drastic but maybe at least some interior upgrades or changes. I've read where some current new owners are recommending to hold back and take a wait-and-see approach with the MS launch. I'd be interested to see how many of us are sitting on the fence before we consider buying.

I struggled with this too (I'm taking delivery on Saturday). When I ordered (originally in April), I really expected ... something.... to come about around the Model 3 launch. I wildly speculated about interior refresh, HUD introductions, battery changes, price reductions... I still believe that some or all of that will come to pass in the next month, but I'm confident that I'm going to love this car anyway.

After scouring the forums and looking at the revision history, it seems that ... something... is introduced almost every few months. The way I see it, you can wait for the next refresh and maybe it'll be a big one, or maybe it'll be a tiny thing; you'll pull the trigger and the huge refresh will be the next one that comes 2 months after you get your car.

At the end, I gave up. I just want the friggin car, man!

Last edited:
Model S interior is simple due to cost cutting. You are just defending tesla's cost cutting.
Btw, I am not talking about buttons. I am talking about build quality, material quality and some design. Tesla's is horrible compared to any German manufacturer.
Gotta love blanket statements :)
BMW X1 as tested: ~60k $
What a lovely quality! Hear the sound of German engineering!
Only Model X FWD can compete!
Too cheap?

Last edited:

And you might miss out on all or some of the $7500 tax benefit... we waited a long time for the S, then waited instead for the X and received ours 4 months before AP2 hardware was released. In the meanwhile we put 15k miles on the car and love it. Point is, don't wait forever or you miss the chance to actually own and drive one.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Are you considering a new Model S or a CPO?
If you go with a new, use a referral code so you can get the free supercharging and 1K off. I would get the model S for the money, but that is me.

My referral code is in my signature if you want to use it, we each get 5 that allow our friends and family to get the free supercharging.

Good luck with whatever option you choose. I absolutely love my S.