Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any movers from model s to model y. Anything you regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have a 2016 model s 90d. I have fsd and fusc w high mileage (82k) but no issues. Initially thought to keep s after listing but received several offers that were pretty decent/high. Essentially the move to a new model y would be free w fsd or at a savings wo fsd. Anyone make the move and regret it? Im guessing heated steering wheel is a bummer loss but otherwise?

I had the same and an original S.

The misses:
Air suspension (only for the cushy ride)
The auto wipers and auto high beams were better functioning
The auto high beam and reverse mirror tilt dont retain their adjustment on the Y

The hits compared to the S:
The new tech is markedly better.
Sentry and dash cam
Seats are far more comfy
Extra room
More range (although the vampire drain is far worse - I presume from sentry and cabin overheat.)
I enjoy the more "cockpit" feel with the taller center console.

I'd love to see a wider MCU that is adjustable L - R and a heads up display.

Reactions: Reborn and DanCar
I had the same and an original S.

The misses:
Air suspension (only for the cushy ride)
The auto wipers and auto high beams were better functioning
The auto high beam and reverse mirror tilt dont retain their adjustment on the Y

The hits compared to the S:
The new tech is markedly better.
Sentry and dash cam
Seats are far more comfy
Extra room
More range (although the vampire drain is far worse - I presume from sentry and cabin overheat.)
I enjoy the more "cockpit" feel with the taller center console.

I'd love to see a wider MCU that is adjustable L - R and a heads up display.
I too had an original 2012 MS. Absolutely no regrets switching to the MY for all the reasons stated in the aforementioned accurate summary. I really enjoy sitting higher above the road and the bigger trunk capacity so I can throw my bicycle in the back.

Yes, 2018 75D to long range Y

Things i missed are the dash screen, steering wheel that gives you more control such as windshield wipers or answering and ending phone calls. Air suspension and I think the s just looks better.

Y has better center console, better position to place the phone. Better and more cup holders! Standard chrome delete. It's more comfortable and piratical for my family of 4. Little more cargo space. Newer tech such as usb c, heat pump, and wireless charging.

I also was afraid the door handles of the s failing when it's out of warranty. My headlights already failed twice and I know it bound to happen again when it's out of warranty. They are all not cheap to replace.

In the end, the y is definitely a better car for my family. I used to say the S was faster, but with the new acceleration boost, the speed are about the same now.

Ill be honest the auto highbeams
And windshield wipers
On my s are awful. I always feel
I have to just manually adjust the wipers
And Frequently adjust the beams
On the s. I too have concerns over out of warranty repairs on the s (not battery and powertrain, but autopilot sensors, door handles, mcu etc etc) which is part of the motivation.

i test drove the y and really liked it. The lack of front screen creates a cool open feeling
To the car and seats were comfy. W snow that piles up where
I am having more ground clearance is great. Lack
Of air suspension is in my mind a good thing as i worry long term of repair cost on that

Yes, 2018 75D to long range Y

Things i missed are the dash screen, steering wheel that gives you more control such as windshield wipers or answering and ending phone calls. Air suspension and I think the s just looks better.

Y has better center console, better position to place the phone. Better and more cup holders! Standard chrome delete. It's more comfortable and piratical for my family of 4. Little more cargo space. Newer tech such as usb c, heat pump, and wireless charging.

I also was afraid the door handles of the s failing when it's out of warranty. My headlights already failed twice and I know it bound to happen again when it's out of warranty. They are all not cheap to replace.

In the end, the y is definitely a better car for my family. I used to say the S was faster, but with the new acceleration boost, the speed are about the same now.

The cupholders caught my eye. I love that our Raven S has six cupholders. The Y has more than this? I hadn't noticed when I test drove the Y.

I think the Y is a good size -- not too big, not too small (considering it's based on the 3). The Y's ride quality is too stiff and choppy for me and it just feels less premium overall. I think I would regret going to a Y from our S but probably because our S is still fairly new and has all the same tech goodies (HW3, Sentry Mode, FSD, FUSC, etc.). The Y does have more legroom in the backseat than our S and I love how they did a 40/20/40 split on the Y's backseat. I also notices the Y was noisier, but hey it's less expensive and has more range than our Standard Range S.

P
The cupholders caught my eye. I love that our Raven S has six cupholders. The Y has more than this? I hadn't noticed when I test drove the Y.

I think the Y is a good size -- not too big, not too small (considering it's based on the 3). The Y's ride quality is too stiff and choppy for me and it just feels less premium overall. I think I would regret going to a Y from our S but probably because our S is still fairly new and has all the same tech goodies (HW3, Sentry Mode, FSD, FUSC, etc.). The Y does have more legroom in the backseat than our S and I love how they did a 40/20/40 split on the Y's backseat. I also notices the Y was noisier, but hey it's less expensive and has more range than our Standard Range S.
The positions of cupholders for the S are horrible. The 2 for the back seats are the worst. Cup holders for the Y are much better. For the rear seats, the middle seat can fold down and it has 2 cupholders there, plus you can put bottles on the pockets in the doors.

I have both, a 2017 90D. The ride on the S is much better. The steering on the Y feels better to me. The storage in the Y is better. The S still feels faster, even after the performance upgrade on the Y. I feel like the S nags me more when I have FSD on. They are different, but both are great cars.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
P

The positions of cupholders for the S are horrible. The 2 for the back seats are the worst. Cup holders for the Y are much better. For the rear seats, the middle seat can fold down and it has 2 cupholders there, plus you can put bottles on the pockets in the doors.

I prefer the cupholder positions in the S. Having cupholders in a flip down arm rest means nobody can use them when someone is sitting in the middle position. I hated the armrest cupholder design in my previous Lexus LS. We didn't have access to the rear armrest cupholders, nor the built in mini-fridge, for 8 years while our daughter went through car seat and booster phases because we placed her in the middle seat (safest postion in the backseat).

The S also has two adjustable cupholders in the bin that accommodate two of the large Contigo or ThermoFlask water bottles from Costco. For a sedan, the S has an excellent assortment of cupholders.

Reactions: pilotSteve
have an S - 2014 pre-AP, so very basic compared to the newer ones... have test driven the Y. I think the Y is better in every way except no open-able sunroof. Would miss that on nice weather days. The full glass roof is cool... for the rear passengers. Doesn't do much for the driver.

The ride feels very similar to me... but my S has 19" wheels on coil suspension - not that cushy air suspensions the old folks prefer.

have an S - 2014 pre-AP, so very basic compared to the newer ones... have test driven the Y. I think the Y is better in every way except no open-able sunroof. Would miss that on nice weather days. The full glass roof is cool... for the rear passengers. Doesn't do much for the driver.

The ride feels very similar to me... but my S has 19" wheels on coil suspension - not that cushy air suspensions the old folks prefer.
Not that old, but then again if you lived in Jersey you might have a different opinion. I’ve always wondered where the mythical good roads in this country are. I guess Texas!

I'm glad I found this thread - I almost posted the exact same question!

I've got a pre-AP 2013 Model S that's just a few months away from the end of its extended warranty. While it's generally been an outstanding vehicle - the best I've ever had - it's had plenty of issues. It's on its third (fourth? I've lost count) drive unit, and it's currently in service for its second MCU (and this time, it took the dash screen along with it).

It's long since paid off and I'd planned on keeping it for years and years more... but the idea having to replace a drive unit or an MCU or the air suspension out of warranty is giving me serious pause. While I love the MS, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to just buy another one right now.

I saw the Model Y properly for the first time when dropping my car off for service this weekend and I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. The M3 hasn't really done it for me, but the MY's proportions seem to really work. So I've been pondering selling the MS and getting a MY and have been wondering what I'd gain (all of the new tech, more range) vs what I'd be losing (love the look and feel of the MS and it's just generally been an awesome car).

I'm glad I found this thread - I almost posted the exact same question!

I've got a pre-AP 2013 Model S that's just a few months away from the end of its extended warranty. While it's generally been an outstanding vehicle - the best I've ever had - it's had plenty of issues. It's on its third (fourth? I've lost count) drive unit, and it's currently in service for its second MCU (and this time, it took the dash screen along with it).

It's long since paid off and I'd planned on keeping it for years and years more... but the idea having to replace a drive unit or an MCU or the air suspension out of warranty is giving me serious pause. While I love the MS, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to just buy another one right now.

I saw the Model Y properly for the first time when dropping my car off for service this weekend and I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. The M3 hasn't really done it for me, but the MY's proportions seem to really work. So I've been pondering selling the MS and getting a MY and have been wondering what I'd gain (all of the new tech, more range) vs what I'd be losing (love the look and feel of the MS and it's just generally been an awesome car).
This is basically me. I am out
Of warranty and the stress of high priced out of warranty repairs is scaring me. Ironically im not concerned of the battery or drive units as they have the warranty but autopilot sensors, door handles, side view mirrors, ac unit air suspension and mcu are stressing me out. If the loss to “downgrade” to a model y is minimal id much rather get a less expensive car if its gives me 90% of the pleasure of my model s. But agree id only want a tesla as a commuter. And when cyber comes out upgrade to that bad boy!

So I've been pondering selling the MS and getting a MY and have been wondering what I'd gain (all of the new tech, more range) vs what I'd be losing (love the look and feel of the MS and it's just generally been an awesome car).

You lose supercharging free (at least use a referral code). Wasnt a big deal for me, I rarely supercharge.
The connectivity charge after one year... $10 a month.

But like you mentioned about stuff breaking, M3 and MY has fewer things to go wrong, so that is a plus.

You'll adapt easily. It's been a fun transition. New things to learn and play with.

Pretty similar situation here. My S has been great, but unreliable. 3 drive units (and acting up again), second MCU, literally dozens of other issues. It's been in the shop more than all of my previous cars combined, and more than a 12 year old ICE I often beat up at the track. I still love driving it, but am worried about its pending warranty expiration (I have the extended warranty through year 8). I have $1000 just in individual $200 extended warranty copays at this point, and the warranty has paid for itself several times over. I'm especially concerned with how extremely far the service experience has fallen since 2013. It was easier to forgive constant issues when service was painless, but now it's awful.

I had a day 1 reservation for a 3, but bailed when I found out they went with a trunk instead of a hatch. The Y checked a lot of boxes. I'm supposed to be picking it up in a day or two. Hope it works out and the transition is easy.

You lose supercharging free (at least use a referral code). Wasnt a big deal for me, I rarely supercharge.
The connectivity charge after one year... $10 a month.

But like you mentioned about stuff breaking, M3 and MY has fewer things to go wrong, so that is a plus.

You'll adapt easily. It's been a fun transition. New things to learn and play with.

Hadn't thought about the supercharging not being free anymore. But given the pandemic I haven't supercharged since Feb. of this year and even then it was rarely more than the occasional trip down to Atlanta to visit friends. I assume it would still be cheaper than gas, but will have to look up the rates for that.

Connectivity is another thing I hadn't thought about. Not a big deal, but yet another monthly subscription....

Any thoughts / comments on cargo space for MS vs MY? Have been very pleased with the amount of stuff I can fit into my MS. And it looks like the MY frunk is WAY smaller (my MS is RWD so in addition to the frunk I've got that giant "microwave" slot where the front motor would normally be).

Which brings up another good point in favor of the MY - All Wheel Drive. That would be a nice to have in inclement weather.

Love the tech so having new toys will definitely be a plus.

Will have to give some serious thought as to whether or not it's worth it to spend $8k on the "self driving" computer. The few times I've played with AutoPilot on loaner vehicles has been.... freaky. I love the idea of it and am greatly looking forward to a fully self-driving future, but having to keep my hands on the wheel and be ready to wrest control from the car at any given moment always puts me on edge. Not sure if I'm willing to spend nearly $10k extra right now for that particular pleasure. ;-)

Pretty similar situation here. My S has been great, but unreliable. 3 drive units (and acting up again), second MCU, literally dozens of other issues. It's been in the shop more than all of my previous cars combined, and more than a 12 year old ICE I often beat up at the track. I still love driving it, but am worried about its pending warranty expiration (I have the extended warranty through year 8). I have $1000 just in individual $200 extended warranty copays at this point, and the warranty has paid for itself several times over. I'm especially concerned with how extremely far the service experience has fallen since 2013. It was easier to forgive constant issues when service was painless, but now it's awful.

I had a day 1 reservation for a 3, but bailed when I found out they went with a trunk instead of a hatch. The Y checked a lot of boxes. I'm supposed to be picking it up in a day or two. Hope it works out and the transition is easy.

Hey, @Gizmotoy. I remember reading your posts back in '13 when I first got my car. Long time no see. ;-)

Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on your new MY. Please make sure to let us know what you think!

Trunk room is nearly identical. Easier if you need more since there's switches to fold rear seats. The power hatch was also a big plus. I hate manual liftgates.

Frunk? Whats that? LOL ... I've opened it maybe three times since 2012.

FSD is not worth it. Until every car is FSD, you're just gonna end up taking over or being paranoid about every movement. I have a enough stress in my life. IMO

It's worth the upgrade. The Y so much comfier and easier to get in and out of. And with the accel boost, it's right on par with the S if not a tad better.

Trunk room is nearly identical. Easier if you need more since there's switches to fold rear seats. The power hatch was also a big plus. I hate manual liftgates.

Frunk? Whats that? LOL ... I've opened it maybe three times since 2012.

FSD is not worth it. Until every car is FSD, you're just gonna end up taking over or being paranoid about every movement. I have a enough stress in my life. IMO

It's worth the upgrade. The Y so much comfier and easier to get in and out of. And with the accel boost, it's right on par with the S if not a tad better.

Nice. ;-)

I've used the hell out of the frunk on my MS. There have been several times when we've had the entire vehicle loaded up with people and/or cargo and the frunk turned out to be a life-saver. Not to mention that little cubby in the back is perfect for transporting and keeping dishes warm when going to family gatherings. ;-)

I'm feeling you on the FSD stress. I tried it on the interstate in my current loaner MS on the way home over the weekend and it was NOT a pleasant experience. I'm sure you get used to it, but I was on edge.

As for acceleration, I got over the 0-60 launches a long time ago. Now the thing that means the most to me is the immediacy of being able to make a maneuver in traffic without having to wait for the engine to rev up. Which every Tesla I've ever driven has had in spades.

(Quick aside: Last year I was traveling with a colleague in a rental car. Honda HR-V, I think. Perfectly adequate transportation. There was a moment where we were approaching an intersection and the light turned yellow. It was safe to go through and I thought we had plenty of time so I hit the accelerator fully expecting to, you know, go quickly through the intersection. The car didn't react. Like, at all. To the point where I apparently looked down to see if I'd actually hit the right pedal. Once we were through the intersection, my colleague started roaring with laughter at my confusion, saying, "You're too used to driving electric! This is what it's like for the rest of us!" :) )