Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new 100D is significantly faster and outputs a much higher peak kW than my old 85D. The 40-60 passing is not even comparable, it's possibly faster than the old P85D. Being that the uncorked 75D is the same performance as the 85D was, I can say with confidence newer 100D's are much faster and seem to have an uncorked version out there.

Reactions: Skipdd and Bebop
I recently drove a new 100D loaner and it felt as though the acceration from 30km/h to 80km/h was lightning fast. From standstill, it actually seemed not as punchy? as from 25/30 and then nailing the peddle.

However compared to my 16’ 90D (traded in) I didn’t notice any difference. Both provided that ‘my lord’ rush feeling all the way into illegal speeds

I recently drove a new 100D loaner and it felt as though the acceration from 30km/h to 80km/h was lightning fast. From standstill, it actually seemed not as punchy? as from 25/30 and then nailing the peddle.

However compared to my 16’ 90D (traded in) I didn’t notice any difference. Both provided that ‘my lord’ rush feeling all the way into illegal speeds
I agree about the launch, they're definitely holding back with the initial power. I ran an 11.997 quarter mile this morning which is quicker than the 12.3 I was running in the 85D. Some 100D's are way faster than others, we just don't know why, but to hear you say there wasn't a noticeable difference between the two models is surprising.

I agree about the launch, they're definitely holding back with the initial power. I ran an 11.997 quarter mile this morning which is quicker than the 12.3 I was running in the 85D. Some 100D's are way faster than others, we just don't know why, but to hear you say there wasn't a noticeable difference between the two models is surprising.

I had the 90D April 2016 which had a new battery config to the 85. Not sure if that made any difference. Perhaps the DU’s were also updated. To me, the power and acceleration between the 90 and the loaner 100 was virtually identical. The 90D also seemed to be holding back slightly at launch but 25/30-80 was a rocket.

I have the power tools app and my 90D would run 0-100kph in 4.33-4.36s consistently. Never tried 1/4 mile.

Perhaps the loaner was not an uncorked 100D. It was brand new with 3km on the odometer so it was recently built.

The speed of the 100D with the new Drive Unit (DU00) got me hooked and resulted in purchasing a new 100D. The initial inventory car I was going to buy showed it had the DU00, but was a very early June build. This made me nervous about whether it really did have the DU00 drive unit and no one at Tesla could verify it did indeed have it. They did have a slightly older (an even earlier June build) 100D that they were using for test drives (the original one I test drove was sold). So my plan was to test drive that one, and if I couldn't tell a difference between the two, then I'd buy the early June build car. Now, I have no quantitative data to prove this, and it could be a placebo effect, but in my "many years of Motorsports and racing" opinion, the older 100D didn't accelerate as hard, especially from 30-40 mph. This caused me to go with a slightly more expensive September build 100D that guarantees the DU00. Of course, "purchasing" and actually having possession of the vehicle are two very different things, as every Tesla owner knows. Should be here in 2 week...

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
The speed of the 100D with the new Drive Unit (DU00) got me hooked and resulted in purchasing a new 100D. The initial inventory car I was going to buy showed it had the DU00, but was a very early June build. This made me nervous about whether it really did have the DU00 drive unit and no one at Tesla could verify it did indeed have it. They did have a slightly older (an even earlier June build) 100D that they were using for test drives (the original one I test drove was sold). So my plan was to test drive that one, and if I couldn't tell a difference between the two, then I'd buy the early June build car. Now, I have no quantitative data to prove this, and it could be a placebo effect, but in my "many years of Motorsports and racing" opinion, the older 100D didn't accelerate as hard, especially from 30-40 mph. This caused me to go with a slightly more expensive September build 100D that guarantees the DU00. Of course, "purchasing" and actually having possession of the vehicle are two very different things, as every Tesla owner knows. Should be here in 2 week...
100% there is a significant difference in the 30mph+ pull. The launch is similar to the old one, which makes me think we might get an update uncorking our launch even further. There were listing of international inventory 100D's with 3.3s 0-100kph, which would be about 3.1 0-60, so there are rumors an update is coming to improve our speed to fill the gap between the 75D and P100D. That has since been corrected, but the same thing happened with early 85Ds before an April 2015 software update that officially brought down the 0-60 to the numbers listed on the international site. The data is there; new 100D's output much more power than the originals with the launch being very subdued.

I guess the only way to find out is to actually ask. My 90D has the new drive unit and I have a service appointment this thursday, I'll ask to see if it's theoretically possible to increase the performance. But if someone beats me to it, please post any findings.

The assumption is yes however i'd rather hear from someone who works "inside"

New 100Ds already are likely uncorked with DU00 drive units and a P1 performance configuration. . Peak kW output is about 430kW... that's about 576hp! I've recorded 0-60's between 3.5 and 3.7, and my data and run logs are on the performance metrics thread. The non DU00 100D's are still about 3.9s, but closer to 410kW peak.
Hi Chasedrgc!
I just ordered a inventory 100D and saw your post and got really excited. Are you telling me that instead of 4.1 zero to 60 I could be seeing 3.5? That would be awesome! This is my spec sheet for my car

Attachments

• 1DE349A3-1EDF-491C-B8C1-5F3D2BAE983A.jpeg
    1DE349A3-1EDF-491C-B8C1-5F3D2BAE983A.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 177
@rbtower2, you definitely have the new DU00 drive unit, so yes, you should be able to do 3.5 0-60 runs. To put it more in perspective, you'll be a 1/2 second faster 0-60 then a 75D as well. Were you able to test drive a newer 100D?
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET! That is awesome. Yeah I did, it was crazy fun. I had never test drove any other S so didnt have anything to compare it to. Plus I never accelerated from a complete stop, just on an on ramp. I cant wait to get my car!!

I clocked 120mph for that run

That's faster than a P90DL (118mph), and almost as fast as a P100D (122mph). Something is up with your numbers. Were you measuring yourself and going downhill? Any ideas what else it could be? I see from your logs that it's putting down good power, so I'm not doubting it's fast, but it shouldn't be that fast. If it is trapping that, it should be in the low 11's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bebop
That's faster than a P90DL (118mph), and almost as fast as a P100D (122mph). Something is up with your numbers. Were you measuring yourself and going downhill? Any ideas what else it could be? I see from your logs that it's putting down good power, so I'm not doubting it's fast, but it shouldn't be that fast. If it is trapping that, it should be in the low 11's.
We don't have a runlog from a P100D that is as long as Chasedrgc1223's so it is hard to tell exactly the difference, but Chasedrgc1223's previous runs have been pretty consistent. cyphear, where do you get the 118 and 122mph numbers? Chasedrgc1223 do you have a runlog for that full run? We really need a SP100DL quarter mile runlog.

upload_2017-11-6_1-3-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_1-0-42.png
    upload_2017-11-6_1-0-42.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 103
I still don't understand why Tesla isn't advertising this? On the EU websites it still states 4.3 for 0-100. I had a brand (BRAND) new loaner, build just 3 weeks ago and arrived 2 days ago at Tesla Amsterdam. It was the 100D with the great new backseats.

I couldn't clock it with scientific accuracy, but the manual check with someone in the passenger seat consistently showed 3.5 tot 3.9 seconds.

I still don't understand why Tesla isn't advertising this? On the EU websites it still states 4.3 for 0-100. I had a brand (BRAND) new loaner, build just 3 weeks ago and arrived 2 days ago at Tesla Amsterdam. It was the 100D with the great new backseats.

I couldn't clock it with scientific accuracy, but the manual check with someone in the passenger seat consistently showed 3.5 tot 3.9 seconds.

It makes no sense not to advertise this, nevertheless I'm happy to read that also the new European version will have this upgrade.
Now just waiting for my S100D floating around the ocean being delivered 1st week of december. :)

It is stupidly fast. I drove it side by side with a S 90D from a family member which, factory spec, should do 4.4. It is un-comparable. While the 90D is of course a fast car, the 100D just throws you in your seat and keeps you there.

4.4 compared to 3.6 sounds is 0.8 difference, which sounds like like a decent upgrade but in reality transforms the car into another league.

cyphear, where do you get the 118 and 122mph numbers?

I track all the model's acceleration data in a big table. I think there is a similar post on this forum somewhere. Anyway, sources are...
P100D Tesla Model S P100D Quarter Mile – P100D Is Quickest Sedan
P90DL: New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40
P85D: 11.5s @ 115.7mph (source dragtimes 2015 + owner data to back this up)

You can also get some more data here: Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

A car that launches well (AWD) should have a faster ET at 120 MPH. The awesome data you have collected shows the 100D is putting down a little power (kW) than a P85DL. With a significantly slower ET (about a second) slightly lower peak power in, and also a slower 0-60 (although we can ignore this), the MPH should be a good bit lower, unless I'm missing something about it holding the power for longer (power under the curve).

The weird thing is, people were clocking 3.8 to 60 in 85D's and 90D's previously. However, people here are saying the 100D is significantly faster. Maybe the 100D is a lot faster from something like 40mph on, and not showing up too much in the 0-60? Maybe it delivers power more instantaneously? Maybe there is some placebo effect, or it's only a few tenths faster which really feels a lot faster?

I have an order in for a 75D and i'm thinking about switching it to a 100D. I'm not trying to bash anyone's data, just trying to validate the real performance increase.

Reactions: bhzmark
My theory is that Tesla is intentionally holding back power until 30-40 mph, then unleashing all the power (more power than the 85/90D) from then on. That would explain the slow (if you can call it that) elapse time while having a fast terminal speed. Also, non-P cars don't have launch mode (that I know of), so you're probably losing 1/2 a second right there.

We don't know what kind of change the new DU00 drive unit is doing. It could be more efficient, thereby creating more acceleration with the same or slightly more power (kW).

@cyphear, if you want to keep your 75D order, I would suggest you DON'T test drive a 100D then. This poor choice on my part is why my plan changed from buying a 75D to a 100D (and spending a lot more $$$). I'm actually kinda grateful the P100D is priced a crazy amount more than even the 100D is. Otherwise...

Last edited:
Reactions: cameronr