Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lolachampcar
I do know that but what I was trying to say is; isn't there a transformer somewhere in between the pack and the motor that regulates DC voltage into AC? I am assuming here that AC motor always likes a specific range of voltage and it gets regulated. To give an example; (all assumptions)

SoC 100% --> Pack voltage 400V

You demand power from the motor with your right foot, 403V DC gets converted to 375V AC (why not 375 for the sake of the example) and your foot decides the amps you'll get out of it.

SoC 50% --> Pack voltage 370V (again, all assumptions)

You demand power with your right foot, 370V DC converted to 375 AC again (via the transformer) and your foot decides the amps for the kW needed.

But there's far more into this than I don't know. Heck even charging voltage we see whilst supercharging and pack voltage when discharging is different. Also, when you floor it, there's this battery phenomena called pulsing where voltage drops a lot and gets back up after you stop flooring it. All of this is just stuff I read about online but of course lack the expertise and detail. So I'd love anyone with more and thorough knowledge to chime in and any suggested reading is much appreciated.
You are talking about something different. He is talking about peak power available. For example, the new battery fuse can allow 1500A. Ignoring voltage sag and conversion losses for simplicity using your examples:

SoC 100% --> Pack voltage 400V*1500A = 600kW max -> 600kW/375V AC = 1600A max AC

SoC 50% --> Pack voltage 370V*1500A = 555kW max -> 555kW/375V AC = 1480A max AC

Above examples will have to be adjusted for voltage sag depending on load and also conversion losses, but the general idea is there that the more power available from battery, the more power available to the motor.

You are talking about something different. He is talking about peak power available. For example, the new battery fuse can allow 1500A. Ignoring voltage sag and conversion losses for simplicity using your examples:

SoC 100% --> Pack voltage 400V*1500A = 600kW max -> 600kW/375V AC = 1600A max AC

Above examples will have to be adjusted for voltage sag depending on load and also conversion losses, but the general idea is there that the more power available from battery, the more power available to the motor.

That's interesting to learn. So, the lower SoC you have(lower voltage), you'll need more amps for same given x amount of power delivered to the wheels. Hence making power consumption exponential.

emir,

Sorry for being a smart arse.... Inverters do not "convert" DC to AC as much as they switch DC from the battery to differing windings in the motor which, when you look at the inductive charging of the winding, looks a lot like AC. The overall power as a function of input voltage and current ends up ruling the day.

Thank you. So it isn't "transforming" the voltage but just feeding the 3 phases of the motor creating the "sine waves". How is that creating the frequency AC is supposed to have then?

Anyway guys I'm really going off topic with my curiosity here. Feel free to not reply and let's wait for @fiksegts to charge. haha

I just had my P85D updated at the Van Nuys SC. I did not realize but they download it and when you get home you install it. The screen said one hour and 45 minutes to install but it seemed more like an hour. I tested it right away at 60%, 62 degrees and the maximum battery time said 30 minutes of heating needed. I had no problem at all enabling launch except once at a stoplight when the 4 seconds ran out but it was easy to reengage it. With my 19" wheels the car squatted and the tires actually for the first time skidded slightly as Heartbeat was fighting for traction. It seemed quicker judging by my butt. I will charge tonight to 90% and heat the battery and try again tomorrow.

I plan to go to the 1/8 mile drag strip in Irwindale but they run only on Thursday nights and I have a commitment this Thursday and the following two are holidays, so Jan 7th. My best time is 7.37 sec at 93mph.

On a side note I inquired about my status for the Ludicrous upgrade. I am #15 of 57 waiting. They have no info of if or when.

it's quicker, faster, but not by much.... might try again later tonight... before putting the video and data together...

0-60: 2.82
0-100: 7.46
1/8: 7.1 @ 98.1 MPH
11.26 @ 118.7 MPH

1.4-1.6G on the launch, not sure if I believe that....

it's quicker, faster, but not by much.... might try again later tonight... before putting the video and data together...

0-60: 2.82
0-100: 7.46
1/8: 7.1 @ 98.1 MPH
11.26 @ 118.7 MPH

1.4-1.6G on the launch, not sure if I believe that....

A little over a tenth. Every little bit is a help.

I had a good feeling that this update was going to result in some improvement.

So...here's a question for those of you with more experience with this.

When the "Motor Trend" article first came out, most of us thought the author just confused "Launch Mode" with "Max Battery Power." It's now pretty clear, though, that wasn't the case, and the car supplied to "Motor Trend" really did have the Launch Mode recently released in some firmware versions. My question is if Tesla was providing a car that was running firmware that was not yet available to the public, did they have an obligation to tell the writer from "Motor Trend" that? And if Tesla did disclose the information (we have no reason to believe they did not) did the writer have an obligation to explain in his article that he was testing a car with software that was not yet publicly available?

This is the relevant excerpt from the article:

"With Ludicrous mode engaged and using the new launch control feature, 60 mph in the Tesla comes in a staggeringly quick 2.6 seconds with the driver experiencing a peak of 1.1 g up through 14 mph."

The review, as written, seems less than completely honest. I'm not sure who to blame for that. Perhaps this is the way things normally work in the industry. As I said, I'm not familiar with what is typical, which is why I'm seeking opinions from those of you who are.

Power from a battery is current times voltage (P=IV)

No it's not. ;) Close sometimes, but batteries are not ideal voltage sources.

Let's not fall into using P=IV for batteries. Internal resistance and other factors make it much less than linear. http://skie.net/uploads/packampsvshp.jpg

The review, as written, seems less than completely honest. I'm not sure who to blame for that. Perhaps this is the way things normally work in the industry. As I said, I'm not familiar with what is typical, which is why I'm seeking opinions from those of you who are.
In the car industry it seems like there is no expectation that the press car you get is necessarily the same as a customer car. You might even get a pre-production unit where a lot of things can change.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/03/the-truth-about-press-cars/

Ferrari is the most known for rigging their press cars, but we only know that because some journalists chose to expose that, although most keep quiet because they want continued access to press cars (needless to say the person who wrote the following article was banned by Ferrari from all press cars).

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not. ;) Close sometimes, but batteries are not ideal voltage sources.

Let's not fall into using P=IV for batteries. Internal resistance and other factors make it much less than linear. http://skie.net/uploads/packampsvshp.jpg
For the exercise it was not necessary to consider non-linearity. He was mainly concerned if a higher battery voltage will mean more available power at the motor even after considering the DC to AC differences. And the answer is yes, even if it doesn't scale linearly.

Last edited: