Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news. Are you now able to receive any of Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Classic FM and BBC World Service, e.g. via Tunein?

Mine is booked for upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 + HW3 + digital tuner in late Oct and I am trying to judge whether to postpone if the tuner upgrade is not available then.

It will be interesting to see if that upgrade improves the DAB reception, which in turn might resolve one of the problems with Tunein; My car (2015 MS) seems unable to pick up Talksport via DAB, but does receive it via Tunein - the problem is that when Talksport carry the commentary for a live match we get a message saying 'you are not permitted to receive this broadcast in your region' - presumably because the SIM card in my car is a non-UK card?

Good news. Are you now able to receive any of Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Classic FM and BBC World Service, e.g. via Tunein?

Mine is booked for upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 + HW3 + digital tuner in late Oct and I am trying to judge whether to postpone if the tuner upgrade is not available then.

How much extra is the digital tuner.. I'm gutted I wasn't given this option :(

Don’t worry, they’re going to offer the tuner as a retrofit option both as a separate item after MCU2 retrofit, as well as at the same time as MCU2 retrofit.

Ohh good to know, so they don't use the existing MCU1 tuner?! Cause that would be annoying to pay for the tuner again. Wonder if its cheaper to have it installed at the same time as the MCU2 retrofit,

I have not been quoted a price yet. Labour cost is likely to be lower if the tuner is upgraded at the same time.

I wouldn't bank on that to be honest - I asked about upgrading my 3G sim to LTE at the same time as changing the daughterboard and was quoted additional cost of 'around £400' - I made the point that surely some of the required labour would be covered in the work to replace the daughterboard but was told the cost for the sim swap was the same whether it was done as a one-off or with another job.

• Informative
Reactions: nikhon
Upgrade done. it went in for the CCS Upgrade/MCU1 > MCU2 and > AP2.0 to AP3. 8:15am arrival, complete at about 3:30pm.

Like a different car, in fact just like my Model X that has MCU2 and AP3, with the exception of no Radio. SC said fix being worked on, no firm date when it will be. Could be next month, could be in a year, who knows. Equally no idea as to the price for it.

Given we mainly use Spotify for pretty much all of our listening or TuneIn for Podcasts, I really wasn't bothered to wait given our MCU1 was playing up.

CCS worked out of the box. Not tried Supercharger V3 (should have done I forgot there was one at the SC). But I was doing some tests later in the day on Zap-Pay using CCS as Engenie have just opened up all of their charge points in the NW to Zap-Pay and it worked great at 42kW (I was already at 85% charged) on a 50kW CCS.

You do loose all of your settings in terms of profiles and config for the car (i.e. have to select to opt in to all of the Beta's again, doesn't know car name) however the favourites from an audio perspective were all there... go figure.

It had to re-calibrate on the cameras, but that took about 10mins on the M60 on the way home.
Cool. How much was the cost if you don’t mind me asking?

I asked Heathrow when I was there on Thursday collecting my X after repair. They weren’t sure of the precise cost, but in the £2,400 ball park was mooted.

There was also no exact date known for when the tuner upgrade would be available, and no doubt this will be more ££

Just picked up my car today after the upgrade and as someone who was really on the fence about it I must say I don't regret it. Immediately noticed the difference, but that was likely because my MCU1 was on its last dying breath.

Some things I noticed
- all my settings were intact, didn't loose anything
- didn't need to calibrate anything (I think they took it for a drive after install according to the navigation destinations)
- dashcam and sentry works amazing (not sure how I lived without it)
- fsd visuals are surprisingly accurate
- logging into Netflix, it thinks I'm signing in from the Netherlands

Last edited:
Just picked up my car today after the upgrade and as someone who was really on the fence about it I must say I don't regret it. Immediately noticed the difference, but that was likely because my MCU1 was on its last dying breath.

Some things I noticed
- all my settings were intact, didn't loose anything
- didn't need to calibrate anything (I think they took it for a drive after install according to the navigation destinations)
- dashcam and sentry works amazing (not sure how I lived without it)
- fsd visuals are surprisingly accurate
- logging into Netflix, it thinks I'm signing in from the Netherlands
Price?
No FM?

£2400 - no FM. They wouldn't tell me how much for the tuner, but did confirm that it wouldn't have been cheaper to do it with the MCU2 install.

On your latter point, I get the impression now that all Tesla work is priced for on a similar basis, i.e. each separate job is priced for without regard to any other work. In a similar vein, I was told it made no difference to the price to upgrade my sim from 3G to LTE if I did it with a daughterboard swap or as a stand-alone job.

They did acknowledge that in effect I would be paying twice for some aspects of the labour costs but wouldn't budge on their stance.

Reactions: nikhon
On your latter point, I get the impression now that all Tesla work is priced for on a similar basis, i.e. each separate job is priced for without regard to any other work. In a similar vein, I was told it made no difference to the price to upgrade my sim from 3G to LTE if I did it with a daughterboard swap or as a stand-alone job.

They did acknowledge that in effect I would be paying twice for some aspects of the labour costs but wouldn't budge on their stance.

Yeh it does seem like they are trying really hard to set a precedence on any negotiation. I think that was the only sour note for me... They initially said no loan car because it's an upgrade not a warranty job.. but when I asked them to fix my MCU1 instead they said they'll give me the loan vehicle, as they would be doing that anyway. (Which I appreciated) but when I asked if the price could be reduced since they would have had to replace the daughterboard anyway, it was a solid no. Annoyingly I know in the US they reduced the cost for people who upgrade during a warranty claim.

So how bad is the reversing camera at night with MCU2 compared to MCU1?

Some people say it’s bad - basically unusable with MCU2, while it was good with MCU1

It's usable for me
IMG_20200929_205320.jpg