Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non-employee get to configure their Model 3 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is the execs will get their bonus based on a goal of delivering non-Tesla employee cars by year-end.
They probably moved up a select group of non-employees and will return to employee deliveries in January.

I hope you are wrong about that. "Gaming the line order" for "optics" like that would seem wrong.
I am hoping that they will get through owners and get going on regular line waiters soon.

Reactions: TimM. and Nevek
I hope you are wrong about that. "Gaming the line order" for "optics" like that would seem wrong.
I am hoping that they will get through owners and get going on regular line waiters soon.

I recall this was exactly what someone mentioned months ago. Order was something like this but obviously it's not 100% correct.

1. employees ca
2. Current owners Ca
3. Non-owners ca
4. Employees non-ca
5. Current owners non-ca

I recall this was exactly what someone mentioned months ago. Order was something like this but obviously it's not 100% correct.

1. employees ca
2. Current owners Ca
3. Non-owners ca
4. Employees non-ca
5. Current owners non-ca

More like:

1. Employees CA
2. Employees everywhere in the US
3. Current owners CA
4. Current owners everywhere in the US (already hitting this point based on very limited examples)
5. ????
6. ????

I think 5 is going to be an opening of the floodgates and California non-owners will not benefit from any sort of priority.

Reactions: PaulJB
More like:

1. Employees CA
3. Current owners CA
4. Current owners everywhere in the US (already hitting this point based on very limited examples)
5. ????
6. ????

I think 5 is going to be an opening of the floodgates and California non-owners will not benefit from any sort of priority.

I hope you are wrong about that. I waited in that long line, and deposited not having seen the car, assuming that living near the factory would get me some priority over people further from the factory.
I wasn't sure if out of state owners would be in front of non-owners living near the factory.
I also didn't count on some distant people registering some CA address to get location priority.
I also didn't think that recent S / X buyers would get the same priority bump as those that already owned a Tesla product when they waited in line.
I also didn't think that employee priority would mean not just Tesla, but also Space-X, Solar City, their friends, their family, etc. I wonder if it includes Hyperloop companies, AI research and other Elon funded companies?
There had been talk of rewarding those who waited in line, but it seems like priorities changed and they are "giving cuts" to different groups and leaving us behind.

Well, the whole tax credit scare thing has me mostly just hoping I get to order while the full tax credit is still available.
If the tax credit died Dec 31st, I would be very upset. As it is now, I am just mildly annoyed with the way the queue seems to be working.

• Disagree
Reactions: TimM.
I hope you are wrong about that. I waited in that long line, and deposited not having seen the car, assuming that living near the factory would get me some priority over people further from the factory.
I wasn't sure if out of state owners would be in front of non-owners living near the factory.
I also didn't count on some distant people registering some CA address to get location priority.
I also didn't think that recent S / X buyers would get the same priority bump as those that already owned a Tesla product when they waited in line.
I also didn't think that employee priority would mean not just Tesla, but also Space-X, Solar City, their friends, their family, etc. I wonder if it includes Hyperloop companies, AI research and other Elon funded companies?
There had been talk of rewarding those who waited in line, but it seems like priorities changed and they are "giving cuts" to different groups and leaving us behind.

Well, the whole tax credit scare thing has me mostly just hoping I get to order while the full tax credit is still available.
If the tax credit died Dec 31st, I would be very upset. As it is now, I am just mildly annoyed with the way the queue seems to be working.

Yeah the whole situation is somewhat less than satisfying. especially when we know Tesla are late for everything and we can't trust the delivery windows anyway. Once I get the car I won't be worried about it any more… the wait hurts, but the uncertainty on how things will shake out is worse.

Reactions: ggies07
What if I say I don't want premium options but want LR and AP only? Wondering how far will that push the date?

The short answer is we don't know, but it actually could be awhile (hopefully not though). I am/was in the same boat. I was hoping to get a LR w/o PUP. As discussed in the thread linked below, Tesla does not appear to have LR w/o PUP or SR w/ PUP on their radar. Next production configuration after "first production" is apparently SR w/o PUP (no PUP upgrade optional). It could very well change by early 2018, or they may broaden configuration options shortly after, but nonetheless I may opt to go SR w/o PUP.

Initial SR Model Production to ONLY include base interior

Just an FYI.

• Informative
Reactions: TimM.
More like:

1. Employees CA
3. Current owners CA
5. ????
6. ????

Yeah but it doesn't make sense to follow it "strictly" from a strategy perspective. By strict I mean wait till the LAST employee to do the FIRST non-employee. If it was me I'd want to parallelize beta-testing the delivery mechanisms that are further down the sequence while working on scaling the initial steps, to have as much time to fix any qualitative kinks concurrently.

Am a Model S owner of almost three years. We waited in line on Model 3 Reservation Day for four hours in Pasadena to get our names on the list.

Got my configuration notice four weeks ago. Filled it out right away. Got word the car would be available in four to five weeks. Got our call from the Delivery Experience Team that the car will be ready next week (exactly five weeks from when we got the configuration email.

I wonder how much weighting is given to whether the SC has had a prior employee delivery or not? If they've already had a delivery, then that staff has presumably already been trained to support the car. For these very early non-employee deliveries, that might be a factor...