Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial SR Model Production to ONLY include base interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, maybe I missed a post on this already, but I've now spoken with Tesla personnel on two recent but different occasions regarding when various configurations will be available, and I am hearing that after "first production" cars, Tesla will be producing the standard range Model 3 with ONLY the base interior. That is, you'll only choose options for the exterior color, wheels, and AP options. No option to add the PUP initially.

Maybe some of you are saying "Duh!," and in hindsight it seems a obvious (Model 3 FAQ makes this clear now), but I guess I assumed that once they were producing LR Model 3s with PUP and SR Model 3 with base interiors, you'd be able to also opt for 1) a LR Model 3 with base interior or 2) a SR Model 3 with PUP. It does not sound like that will be the case or awhile.

My sources are multiple Denver staff (which initially I took with a grain of salt), but also now from an email correspondence with Tesla (outside of Colorado).

Have I been under a rock? Seems to me there will be a decent amount of people waiting to get the SR Model 3 with PUP. I was actually planning to get the LR Model 3 with base interior, but now may have to reconsider the SR.

Tesla sales people are often misinformed, so I wouldn't despair until the SR version actually enters production. Nobody really knows at this point.

Thanks @Mika. I understand, which is why I took my initial discussions with Tesla staff at the store with a grain of salt, and didn't post anything at the time. It seemed a lot more plausible when I spoke with someone else from inside sales (based not in Colorado) who said the exact same thing. Also, when I went back to the Model 3 FAQ, their wording of when different options will be come available seems consistent.

If true, it will help make the decision for me. I posted mainly because I figured there were several others that may find this interesting. Who knows, even if this is the plan, it could change by next spring.

I mean, I guess if they want to do that, that would give me even more time to stockpile money. But it would seem silly given that I would imagine putting a battery pack in is probably a little to a lot easier to do than a new different interior. It would make more sense (both in production and possible $$$ upfront to Tesla) to start the differentiation with battery size, and then move onto the interior (and eventually AWD) but they would be in the know better.

I mean, I guess if they want to do that, that would give me even more time to stockpile money. But it would seem silly given that I would imagine putting a battery pack in is probably a little to a lot easier to do than a new different interior. It would make more sense (both in production and possible $$$ upfront to Tesla) to start the differentiation with battery size, and then move onto the interior (and eventually AWD) but they would be in the know better.

@Bad Horse I completely agree with you. Seems like you could focus on keeping production easier and only change the battery size, or continue to make $$$ on the bigger battery and offer the base interior. While it does allow me to save more, it also put me at greater risk for losing a part of the tax credit (assuming it is still intact).

PS - @Bad Horse This is random, but I grew up in Overland Park. :)

Hmm... That's disappointing and not what I understood, but I can see it being true. I would have wanted the PUP with SR myself.... I think the unheated textile seats are a no-go for my wife just as much as a 50k starting price for LR+PUP.... We'll see what the options are by the time it's my turn.

Well, the config site when you finalized your order seems to suggest that at SOME point you'll be able to get whatever combo you want, because they already have checkboxes for turning on/off the PUP independent of anything else, but that button just doesn't work yet (and has a little disclaimer explaining why). I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I also wouldn't necessarily start worrying about it until we see the SR version actually start getting built.

Reactions: PaulJB and EinSV
While this doesn’t sound great - it makes perfect sense. They are initially focused on the high margin cars and then they turn their focus to the lowest cost model. They probably have a large number of both they need to deliver before they add the complexity of lots of variations in the middle.

Thanks for highlighting this though as it will likely help people plan and decide what to do.

Reactions: Ulmo and WarpedOne
Perhaps they will never mingle the two. Maybe the SR will always only come with the base interior, and the base interior will only be available on the SR. Likewise, maybe the LR will always come with PUP, and PUP will only be available on the LR.

Not unusual for other manufacturers to bundle and restrict premium options to larger engine options.

I'm not indicating that Tesla is like other manufacturers, so don't go there. Just making an observation.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Well, the config site when you finalized your order seems to suggest that at SOME point you'll be able to get whatever combo you want, because they already have checkboxes for turning on/off the PUP independent of anything else, but that button just doesn't work yet (and has a little disclaimer explaining why). I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I also wouldn't necessarily start worrying about it until we see the SR version actually start getting built.

Another data point to add to that, the layout of my configuration page suggests that PUP may be an option in Early 2018 when the SR is introduced.

Coming soon
Additional configurations, including the entry level Model 3 without upgrades, will become available as production ramps:

Base $35,000 Vehicle Early '18
Standard Battery - 220 Miles (EPA est.)
Premium Upgrades optional

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Spring '18

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulJB
Sounds plausible to me. If they are still in the ramp-up process when they offer the SR they're going to want to keep things simple. Given that they hope to max out the first production line (5k/week) by the end of Q1 I'd bet that's when full configuration freedom would start.

Personally, I think this reinforces the "build in batches, then assign VIN" theory. This allows them to build SR Model 3s as fast as they can, with the only options being small changes that can be done in the last day or two prior to delivery (such as wheels). Every "big, built-in" option (such as PUP, interior color, dual motor, SAS, etc.) means another full set of variants that would have to stockpiled.

So doing it their way, they only have 2 lines - one for LR, one for SR - they just paint in batches and stick 'em in the storage lots waiting for assignment to owners (and their wheel choice).

I'm sure we'll eventually get to the "build-to-order phase", but I wouldn't be surprised to see Telsa offer these "first build" configurations to ALL reservation holders before broadening out to "build to order". I know it's not what not folks want to hear, but it makes the most sense from the "quick ramp up" point-of-view.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Doesn't make sense to me, but Tesla has a very different mindset on how they run their business. IMHO, the focus should be on releasing the most expensive configurations so that profits can be maximized. Tesla has generated a "cult" like following similar to Apple, but on a much smaller scale. People will certainly extend their budgets just for the sake of being able to get a vehicle that some have been waiting near 2 years to obtain (after deposits).

Seems very implausible for them to NOT offer a margin-boosting option that they already have in production anyway.

This is exactly my thought. They'd just be leaving money on the table at a time when they desperately need it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they prioritized SR w/ PUP before moving on to SR w/ Base, given that they're already building the PUP interiors.

Reactions: Zoomit and TimM.
Doesn't make sense to me, but Tesla has a very different mindset on how they run their business. IMHO, the focus should be on releasing the most expensive configurations so that profits can be maximized. Tesla has generated a "cult" like following similar to Apple, but on a much smaller scale. People will certainly extend their budgets just for the sake of being able to get a vehicle that some have been waiting near 2 years to obtain (after deposits).
They offer a 'car for the masses' at 35k and that is an important spearhead. So now it's important to offer this car and do what they set out to do: disrupt the ice car dominated middleclass market.

Reactions: MP3Mike and ilg
MHO, the focus should be on releasing the most expensive configurations so that profits can be maximized.

Which is exactly what they have done. Now the next car they need to release is the one that actually sells for $35k. If they make the options only available on the "first production" version they push more people to get that instead of the $35k version. (Which people might actually do to be able to get the $7500 tax credit.) I suspect that once the tax credit goes to $3,750 Tesla will release more customizability.

But the screen shots of the configutor seem to indicate that PUP would be an option on a SR Model 3.

Reactions: EinSV
I agree that it would be nice for the next batch to include PUP optional along with SR, but I can see how Tesla might be aiming to continue to keep the choices very limited for reasons that have already been stated upthread (minimizing production complexity and maximizing batching ability mainly--all cars in the 'next stage' would still either be the current LR+PUP config, or SR-PUP config. And I think they are aiming to shoot to actually produce the $35k version next so that they minimize backlash over bait-and-switch that they'd get if they drew out the time to production of that config. So given the choice b/t SR+PUP or SR-PUP for their next config, they chose the $35k config.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Seems to me there will be a decent amount of people waiting to get the SR Model 3 with PUP. I was actually planning to get the LR Model 3 with base interior, but now may have to reconsider the SR.
I was planning on getting the SR with PUP. If this is no longer an option in the beginning, I will pull the trigger on the LR with PUP as soon as I get my invite. i would spend $9K on something I don't want or need rather than passing on PUP that I DO want and need. I wish TESLA would clarify this ASAP because there would be a subset of us who would order sooner (at higher margin LR + PUP) rather than waiting until later just to find that an option is not available at time of invitation.

Reactions: BagheeraNY