Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one use the TACC for exiting a highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P

PaulR

Wonder if anyone has tried exiting from a highway using TACC I think the manual says it will do so and slow down upon entering the exit lane.... I have used auto steer and found it works well, but never had the nerve to try the exit thing.

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turnsignal when driving in the right-most lane
within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a
restricted access road only, such as a highway
or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control to assume you are exiting. As a result,
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow
down the vehicle."

Your experience?

This was listed under the heading or TACC and I quoted the 7.1 manual verbatim.... it would seem it is a function of auto lane change, but they don't list it there.....

In fact, it would seem from the quote that you don't have to invoke auto steer to make this work... just TACC.

I haven't tried it, but it sounds kind of silly. You're supposed to start slowing down after you leave the travel lanes.

Another one of Elon's ways to make driving less stressful?

It would seem from the manual that it does just that, as the quote from the manual says:

...As a result,
down the vehicle."

I have used it as such and it does do what it states. The problem is that it can't really distinguish between an exit lane to a light and an exit lane to a continuing other freeway. So, sometimes you have to use the accelerator (the horror, I know!) to bump up the speed when you are exiting but still on a freeway. It seems to catch up fast and gets back to the speed.

I have used it as such and it does do what it states. The problem is that it can't really distinguish between an exit lane to a light and an exit lane to a continuing other freeway. So, sometimes you have to use the accelerator (the horror, I know!) to bump up the speed when you are exiting but still on a freeway. It seems to catch up fast and gets back to the speed.

Thanks for the feedback. If you did it I know I can do it too!

Another one of Elon's ways to make driving less stressful?

It would seem from the manual that it does just that, as the quote from the manual says:

...As a result,
down the vehicle."

The manual says that it starts to slow while you're still in the travel lanes. The manual's sequence seems to be: signal, slow, change to exit lane. Whereas I think you're supposed to do: signal, change to exit lane, slow. Assuming, of course, that the exit lane is suitable for it.

It's all moot for me, as I disengage everything before signaling the exit in the first place, but it's weird to see the car effectively endorsing what I see as incorrect behavior.

The manual says that it starts to slow while you're still in the travel lanes. The manual's sequence seems to be: signal, slow, change to exit lane. Whereas I think you're supposed to do: signal, change to exit lane, slow. Assuming, of course, that the exit lane is suitable for it.

It's all moot for me, as I disengage everything before signaling the exit in the first place, but it's weird to see the car effectively endorsing what I see as incorrect behavior.

It all sounds logical to me. Remember that the manual says that this must happen within fifty meters (164 feet) of an highway exit. Driving at highway speed it would seem that if you saw an exit that close that you wanted to use you would, indeed, begin to slow down before you actually exited anyway. The manual just says that it "begins to slow down" at that point. It doesn't say how fast it slows down. Thats why I wanted to ask someone who had tried it. Seems that JenniferQ thinks it works O.K.. YMMV :smile:

I use this all the time, and it's really great. The old way was: you have TACC set to, say, 75. You make the lane changes through traffic to get to the right to exit. You're slower because there's traffic in front of you. You proceed to take the exit ramp. Your car rockets back up to 75 up the ramp because you forgot TACC is set. New way is: you have the blinker on when you're ready to exit? The car automatically slows down as you head up the exit ramp. Really nice, actually. Just wish it would show the set speed change on the dash.

I use this all the time, and it's really great. The old way was: you have TACC set to, say, 75. You make the lane changes through traffic to get to the right to exit. You're slower because there's traffic in front of you. You proceed to take the exit ramp. Your car rockets back up to 75 up the ramp because you forgot TACC is set. New way is: you have the blinker on when you're ready to exit? The car automatically slows down as you head up the exit ramp. Really nice, actually. Just wish it would show the set speed change on the dash.

Glad to hear it works so well. With the exception of what JenniferQ mentioned above it would seem to.

I guess you just have to look at your speedometer to see your "set speed change". :wink: So does the blue "TACC" Icon turn grey to indicate it isn't in control any more?