Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any out of state MA-store purchases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd title I'm sure, but wondering if any out-of-state owners purchased from an MA store and still had it delivered to NH? I'm on the fence about buying a SR+ over MR and seeing a few folks posting in the 3 forums stating they were able to get MR for the price of SR+ buying off local inventory (to increase delivery numbers this month).

I tried calling the Tesla general Sales line but the rep didn't know anything about any incentives or efforts to deliver more MR before quarter end. So next best effort would be to call an MA store but I'm not sure how that would work - would they still deliver it to NH? Would I buy it in MA, then register the car in NH, and then go back and pick it up?

you can if the dealership lets you. according to Massachusetts law. any cars delivered in MA has to pay mass sales tax, even if dealership didn't collect it, you're still liable because they have to report it. Unless your car is delivered in NH which a lot of MA dealership will do is to send someone to deliver the car to NH. Tesla doesn't offer such service unfortunately.

I live in NH and they will, or used to, deliver a vehicle there. You cannot pick up in MA without paying the MA sales tax.

If you’re a Mass resident and are just looking to avoid the sales that, they will not deliver to NH.

To clarify, I'm already an owner and had a car delivered to NH. This question was around if an MA store has inventory they are looking to offload, if it would still be delivered to NH or if an out of stater can pick it up. Not worth it if sales tax would be imposed though. Made a decision between the SR+ and MR so it's probably a moot point now.

Odd title I'm sure, but wondering if any out-of-state owners purchased from an MA store and still had it delivered to NH? I'm on the fence about buying a SR+ over MR and seeing a few folks posting in the 3 forums stating they were able to get MR for the price of SR+ buying off local inventory (to increase delivery numbers this month).

I tried calling the Tesla general Sales line but the rep didn't know anything about any incentives or efforts to deliver more MR before quarter end. So next best effort would be to call an MA store but I'm not sure how that would work - would they still deliver it to NH? Would I buy it in MA, then register the car in NH, and then go back and pick it up?
Independent of if or where they would deliver it, you'd pay MA sales tax. That, straight from the fine folks in Dedham. Not sure if NH no tax applies to cars but..MA will tax you.

Independent of if or where they would deliver it, you'd pay MA sales tax. That, straight from the fine folks in Dedham. Not sure if NH no tax applies to cars but..MA will tax you.

That is not true. You will only pay sales tax if you pick the car up in MA. If Tesla will deliver it to you in NH like they used to, you pay no MA sales tax.

That is not true. You will only pay sales tax if you pick the car up in MA. If Tesla will deliver it to you in NH like they used to, you pay no MA sales tax.
You may well be right but that is not what they told me. The original Model 3 I was supposed to get was shipped to Dedham. I discovered this just as they notified me it had shipped from Freemont and tried to intercede and redirect it. I, ultimately, had one sent to Mt Kisco but that was two months later.

I know several NH buyers. They all either picked up in Mt Kisco (NY does not charge sales tax to non-residents) or had home delivery. None were offered MA pickup, because it would cost them MA sales tax. MA and CA are the only states that I am aware of that charge sales tax on all deliveries that happen in their state, regardless of the buyer's state of residence and the car's state of registration. Most states only charge sales tax to their own residents.

My CPO came from TX, was shipped to Dedham for final prep, and then delivered to me at my home in NH. No MA sales tax was charged, nor was any owed. Granted, this was 2 years ago, which is eons in Tesla time, but nothing has changed IFAIK about relevant MA tax laws/policy.

Reactions: hcsharp
You may well be right but that is not what they told me. The original Model 3 I was supposed to get was shipped to Dedham. I discovered this just as they notified me it had shipped from Freemont and tried to intercede and redirect it. I, ultimately, had one sent to Mt Kisco but that was two months later.

If you want to pick up, Mt Kisco is your closest option.

If you will accept delivery they will send it to your home in NH.

If you pick up the car in MA, you pay the tax. Bottom line.

I ordered SR+ last night and got a text for delivery appointment on Tuesday in Dedham - even though I selected home delivery - twice, the configurator kept forcing Dedham as the selection. Called the Tesla sales line to adjust it - was told it would be taken care of, and...nothing. Reservation still shows as Dedham pickup. I'll have to call locally tomorrow and see if there's anything they can do - hoping it won't be waiting for a new VIN.

I know of at least 2 CPO cars that were shipped to Dedham to be prepped before being delivered to VT. No sales tax was paid to MA. Unless Tesla's policy has recently changed, which I doubt, then they will deliver to you in NH with no MA sales or use tax.

I know of at least 2 CPO cars that were shipped to Dedham to be prepped before being delivered to VT. No sales tax was paid to MA. Unless Tesla's policy has recently changed, which I doubt, then they will deliver to you in NH with no MA sales or use tax.
That was when. What they told me was in Sept 2018. I did not make it up, that is what they told me and, further, the sold the car destined for me to someone else locally.

It's just like ordering a book from Amazon. The "sale" occurs where/when the book is delivered, and sales tax is due to the delivery jurisdiction. It doesn't matter where you live, what your billing address is, where the item was shipped from/warehoused, what UPS depot it goes through along the way, etc. MA and CA extend this logic to cars - delivery/pick up in their state and you owe them tax.

"Independent of if or where they would deliver it, you'd pay MA sales tax" - that just doesn't make sense. If I order a car from a CA company, and it is delivered to me in NH, how does MA have any claim on the transaction? Just because the car spent a day or two in Dedham, and someone peeled off the protective film and washed it, I owe thousands of dollars to MA? Whoever told you that is wrong, I assure you.

That was when. What they told me was in Sept 2018. I did not make it up, that is what they told me and, further, the sold the car destined for me to someone else locally.
Are they sure they didn't say you'd pay sales tax, without specifying MA specifically?

None of this really matters to you, living in CT, since you live in a state with a higher sales tax rate than MA. It doesn't matter to your final bill if you pay 6.25% to MA and an additional 0.10% to CT (CT gives you a credit for the tax paid to MA), or if the entire 6.35% goes to CT; your bill is the same.

My parents picked up their S in Mt Kisco. They collected 6.35% and CT reg/title fees. They gave the full 6.35% to CT and processed the registration for them. If they had picked up in MA, 6.25% would have gone to MA, with the balance of the taxes and fees going to CT, but the total wouldn't have changed.

Reactions: hcsharp
None of this really matters to you, living in CT, since you live in a state with a higher sales tax rate than MA. It doesn't matter to your final bill if you pay 6.25% to MA and an additional 0.10% to CT (CT gives you a credit for the tax paid to MA), or if the entire 6.35% goes to CT; your bill is the same.

My parents picked up their S in Mt Kisco. They collected 6.35% and CT reg/title fees. They gave the full 6.35% to CT and processed the registration for them. If they had picked up in MA, 6.25% would have gone to MA, with the balance of the taxes and fees going to CT, but the total wouldn't have changed.
Dedham staff told me I'd be paying sales tax for both jurisdictions. In your example sure, I get that, that is not what they said though. It's 7.75%, for vehicles over $50,000. They are not allowed to sell cars into CT. Whether that's strictly a CT/MA thing or not, I do not know. There was no option, they weren't going to sell me that car nor were they going to ship it to Mt Kisco or truck deliver it to my door. It was a non-starter. Your parents got an S for <= $50,000? damn!

I ordered SR+ last night and got a text for delivery appointment on Tuesday in Dedham - even though I selected home delivery - twice, the configurator kept forcing Dedham as the selection. Called the Tesla sales line to adjust it - was told it would be taken care of, and...nothing. Reservation still shows as Dedham pickup. I'll have to call locally tomorrow and see if there's anything they can do - hoping it won't be waiting for a new VIN.

I think their system messed up again. I haven't filled in all the information on my order, other than the delivery address and my account shows an appointment somewhere else in the country.

Dedham staff told me I'd be paying sales tax for both jurisdictions. In your example sure, I get that, that is not what they said though. It's 7.75%, for vehicles over $50,000. They are not allowed to sell cars into CT. Whether that's strictly a CT/MA thing or not, I do not know. There was no option, they weren't going to sell me that car nor were they going to ship it to Mt Kisco or truck deliver it to my door. It was a non-starter. Your parents got an S for <= $50,000? damn!
Yes, you'd pay both jurisdictions. 6.25% to MA and an additional 1.5% to CT. I forgot about CT's luxury tax BS. Everyone I know in CT who bought an S (parents, their neighbors) went to Mt Kisco, since it's closer than Dedham. I don't know of anyone who had a car delivered to CT. They may not be able to deliver to CT due to the "can't sell cars in CT" BS. If that's it, it's strictly a CT thing.

So they wouldn't ship to Mt Kisco or your house in CT. Did they refuse to let you pick up in MA? There's no reason for that, and it wouldn't cost you any more:

DMV: Sales Tax on Registrations
Out-of-State Purchases - Credit for sales tax paid out-of-state will be granted if the registrant provides supporting documentation (purchase invoice and tax receipt) showing submission of sales tax to the appropriate state agency. If the registrant paid less than 6.35% (or 7.75% for vehicles over $50,000) sales tax in another state they will be required to pay the additional tax to DMV when the vehicle is registered.

If credit is not allowed due to insufficient documentation the registrant will be required to pay the tax (6.35% or 7.75% for vehicles over $50,000) at the time of registration and may request a refund from Department of Revenue Services (DRS) by completing a Claim for Refund of Motor Vehicle Tax (form CERT-106) refund request form.

Last edited:
I think their system messed up again. I haven't filled in all the information on my order, other than the delivery address and my account shows an appointment somewhere else in the country.
Yep - must be some kind of glitch. After talking to the direct Sales line, they'd say they'd fix to home delivery.

Got a new email saying Congrats - your delivery has been scheduled. Again, at Dedham, 3 days later than the original. I called Dedham this morning and he confirmed my order was marked as in-store pickup. He said he would change the setting for home delivery and to otherwise ignore the emails until I hear from home delivery in Vegas. The rep noted I already had someone assigned. Curious to know if I'll have the same VIN or not.

Not going to lie, I was really hoping they were going to be able to start delivering cars from Dedham. The cross-country delivery experience kind of sucked, at least it did in May. I'm hoping it goes much smoother this time.

Yes, you'd pay both jurisdictions. 6.25% to MA and an additional 1.5% to CT. I forgot about CT's luxury tax BS. Everyone I know in CT who bought an S (parents, their neighbors) went to Mt Kisco, since it's closer than Dedham. I don't know of anyone who had a car delivered to CT. They may not be able to deliver to CT due to the "can't sell cars in CT" BS. If that's it, it's strictly a CT thing.

So they wouldn't ship to Mt Kisco or your house in CT. Did they refuse to let you pick up in MA? There's no reason for that, and it wouldn't cost you any more:
As I said, it's either MA law or CT law but they implied I'd have to pay full tax in both and their weren't allowed to sell to me, which, yes, does contradict paying taxes in both places. It is what it is. The car, when it arrived was their's not mine. They had to look for another car, which they didn't find, so they ordered a new one. Good news is I got a car manufactured in Oct, past the Q3 push them out the door. Yes, I also understand about moving to a new state w/i 6 months of a car purchase you have to pay the difference. I've been around this barn 14 or so times now. Its safe to assume they knew the law better than I or us.

• Disagree
Reactions: an1235
As I said, it's either MA law or CT law but they implied I'd have to pay full tax in both and their weren't allowed to sell to me, which, yes, does contradict paying taxes in both places. It is what it is. The car, when it arrived was their's not mine. They had to look for another car, which they didn't find, so they ordered a new one. Good news is I got a car manufactured in Oct, past the Q3 push them out the door. Yes, I also understand about moving to a new state w/i 6 months of a car purchase you have to pay the difference. I've been around this barn 14 or so times now. Its safe to assume they knew the law better than I or us.

I'm very sorry that the person you spoke to at Tesla in Dedham told you wrong information. They either purposefully lied to you or they didn't know what they were talking about. In either case, they were wrong, as many here have clearly told you.

A Tesla employee tried telling me that I had to fill out an MA RMV-1 to register my car, picked up in NY by a NH resident, because "when you reserved the car 2 years ago you lived in MA. But don't worry, you don't get taxed and this doesn't register the car in MA." Which is so wrong, it's not even comprehensible.

All of this to say, don't trust Teslas overworked and underpaid staff to give you an answer to a problem that doesn't fit neatly into their standard operating procedure. Tesla has proven, both on the small scale and the large scale, to not handle exception cases well.

They lied to you or were misinformed themselves. That is not how sales tax collection works.

This, exactly.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcorey