Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any point in placing an order now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other points to consider:
-Elon's been hinting that Part 2 of the Model 3 reveal is going to be amazing. Now is your chance to get a reservation in before another 300k people jump in.
-The only way to get one of those exclusive Telsa reservation holder gifts is to reserve. No other way to get the swag!
-You can demonstrate your forward thinking to friends, neighbors, and acquaintances - very few people will care exactly where you are in line!

That's probably true and was the case with the S and the X, however, prior owners may get their cars in Canada before the general public in the States. I also note that Tesla doesn't separate out Canada from the States in their announcement:

"Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. North American deliveries will be first, followed by Europe, Asia and Pacific countries then countries with right-hand drive configurations. Those who own Model S or Model X cars will be offered priority production slots as a special thanks for supporting the Tesla mission."

I am really hoping you're on to something there, as I had somehow assumed that being on the west coast of Canada would somehow translate to getting our Model 3 earlier. :oops:

This is exactly why I have been saying it's foolish for Elon to continue to announce backlog #'s. It can only hurt him now. Just let it ride until the next reveal....

Aside from the potential market value growth that's been experienced from Tesla's consistent updates of the Model 3 reservation tally, Elon and Tesla are attempting to prove the incredible demand that we all had for a car like this. I'm grateful that we have as many reservations as we do because it'll mean Tesla will be well off and continue to innovate for a very long time.

Reactions: pmich80 and Bimbels
I ordered within 40 mins of online ordering opening. And being in Australia which is a right hand drive country. I have no doubt you will be months and months in front of me in getting a car if you order now.

Don't let the big number put you off, you are a lot further down the line than a lot of the planet.

I am really hoping you're on to something there, as I had somehow assumed that being on the west coast of Canada would somehow translate to getting our Model 3 earlier. :oops:
Other than the US west to east (for the initial batch) we don't know what the order will be, or what countries will be next. I suspect it will be batches based on location, then order date, then maybe battery size, who knows what other factors.

Or you can invest your money instead of loaning it to Tesla who is sitting on a billion in cash.
Not a horrible idea, but doesn't get OP any closer to Model 3 ownership.

Elon Musk's net worth is 13 billion by the way.
To me, this sentence is as relevant to the conversation as saying something like My cat has 6 nipples. Not only does net worth NOT equal spendable liquidity, it also doesn't matter how much money Elon has or doesn't. Yes, he did fund and save the company financially several times but the company is no longer in that stage.

Two years is a long time. It's likely that a considerable number of people in front of you will cancel their reservations for various reasons, not necessarily because of the car, but because of life.

My next car will not be a five-seat sport sedan, but if I thought it might be I'd go ahead and reserve.

Then again, if you plan to order top-of-the-line, you can probably wait until 2018 to reserve.

I didn't place an order, and now there are over 300,000 people in front of me. Is there any point in placing an order now? orders are tapering off now. Appreciate your thoughts.

If you're even considering it, DO IT, DO IT NOWWW!!!

I preordered the day after the reveal just as Elon sent out the tweet saying they were at 198k. I'm kicking myself for not going with my gut and ordering as soon as it was possible. That cost me several months at least.

The difference between 3 years and 4 years is a big deal but fast forward to when they start delivering in the 350k range... do you want to be getting one that day or wait another year or two or whatever?

Considering its refundable, I'm surprised no one else I know has gone ahead with it. Its a no-brainer.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Not a horrible idea, but doesn't get OP any closer to Model 3 ownership.

To me, this sentence is as relevant to the conversation as saying something like My cat has 6 nipples. Not only does net worth NOT equal spendable liquidity, it also doesn't matter how much money Elon has or doesn't. Yes, he did fund and save the company financially several times but the company is no longer in that stage.

Exactly, StraightDave is just being difficult and unnecessarily negative/douchey. 2-3% is not a lot of money to reserve a lower tier luxury car, much less one that is based on developing technology. Not to mention, you'd have to be extremely lucky to make a sizeable return on $1,000 in only 3 years. A profit could be made but nothing compared to the first year of gas savings alone. So there is absolutely no reason not to put down the deposit.... even if he chooses to get his refund and go CPO down the road.

Also remember that Elon Musk said Tesla may make some special arrangements to maximize the US Tax Credits available. The way the US Tax Credit works that could mean they stop delivering to the US for a short period of time so as to not hit 200K US Sold vehicles until the rollout is in full force. It is a complicated situation. But basically Tesla will want to hit 200K sold in the US at the very beginning of a quarter and then have that quarter and the next to push out vehicles to US market as fast as they can. So they could choose to stop US deliveries for sometime and ship the vehicles to other countries and western Canada is close.

If you're even considering it, DO IT, DO IT NOWWW!!!

I preordered the day after the reveal just as Elon sent out the tweet saying they were at 198k. I'm kicking myself for not going with my gut and ordering as soon as it was possible. That cost me several months at least.

The difference between 3 years and 4 years is a big deal but fast forward to when they start delivering in the 350k range... do you want to be getting one that day or wait another year or two or whatever?

Considering its refundable, I'm surprised no one else I know has gone ahead with it. Its a no-brainer.

i don't think it necessarily will have cost you several months...you're in southern california, right? you're going to be ahead of a large chunk of those 198k people based on that alone. i'm in the same boat (perhaps a little ahead of you in line, but still morning of 4/1 is when i finally got mine to go through). i made two attempts the night of 3/31, but neither one went through...

i don't think it necessarily will have cost you several months...you're in southern california, right? you're going to be ahead of a large chunk of those 198k people based on that alone. i'm in the same boat (perhaps a little ahead of you in line, but still morning of 4/1 is when i finally got mine to go through). i made two attempts the night of 3/31, but neither one went through...

Yes, I'm near Ontario, CA. I sure hope you're on to something...

Yes, I'm near Ontario, CA. I sure hope you're on to something...

they have always said west coast of the US will get their cars first...i would imagine as long as you were within the first 24 hours or so (like we both were), we'll be near the front of the line. anyone else in CA who ordered before us will be before us, but certainly not the whole 198k people...

The more orders there are, the more Tesla will have to, and be able to, increase the number of production lines.
And when (not if) the production line is doubled, it will take half as long to get your car.
And when (not if) the production line is tripled, it will take a third as long to get your car.
So order a Model 3. Get everyone you know to order a Model 3.
The more the merrier on this one, for all involved, even the planet!

To be frank, unless I needed a car, I would not want one of the first Model 3s.

You always want to be in the second or third batch, particularly with Teslas, judging from the Model S deliveries. The car is always being improved, iterated, and little bugs fixed: so, the later you can buy, it's actually beneficial. Likely fewer service visits, too--again, judging from the Model S deliveries.

Canadian deliveries will be after US deliveries. But why not? By 2019ish, they'll be producing several hundred thousand cars per year.

I don't think this will necessarily be true, I think a very early pre order in Vancouver might even get their car before a very early pre order in New York. I would think they might use Canadian deliveries to maximize US tax credits.

Reactions: Kira and MP3Mike