Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any point in placing an order now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are an investor I would say yes. Getting onto a line at 300k may sound like pretty far back but waiting much longer (after part 2 reveal) could put you 500k or higher and that may be a full year additional wait if production isn't ramped.

The deposit is refundable - if you can float the $1k, why not?

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Reservation queues are speared by region. If you reserve today, you aren't necessarily going to be the 350,000th person to get a Model 3.

Your profile indicates you're from the west coast of Canada, so depending on how deliveries are fulfilled, it's not unreasonable to think you will get your car before a large portion of pre-orders outside of North America.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I would think there are several factors that might help you decide...

1: Tesla can use your money to bring positive change to the world, while you wait for your vehicle. Tesla will likely need more money to finish the Gigafactory, Tooling and Line Setup for M3, and to complete Alpha Design on Model Y. Your donation, along with ours, will help.
2: Model Y will likely be announced before M3 gets to mass production. You could transfer your reservation early, if you liked it better.
3: The higher the reservation numbers, the more likely you'll motivate other Legacy Automakers to get off their collective butts, and accelerate their own BEV programs. More choice means lower prices and less carbon in the atmosphere-- are all great things.
4: Panasonic has historically been fiscally conservative with phasing in investments and expansions at the Gigafactory. More production pressure might help them feel more confident about spending more, earlier than they had anticipated-- due to the overwhelming and growing demand for Tesla's vehicles. Model 3 really needs the new form factor batteries that only the Gigafactory can likely provide.
5. You would basically be giving an FU to legacy vehicle companies that have produced no BEVs, lame hybrids, compliance level BEVs, or outright repeated the industry myth that "No one wants Electric Vehicles."
6. You would basically be giving an FU to corrupt politicians and automotive lobbyists trying to block Tesla's Direct Sales, and folks like the Koch Bros., Exxon, Terrorists, and their ilk.

There are probably many more, but that's good for now...

If you like the car, go for it. :)

I say go for it...I didn't order until Sunday morning and I live in Georgia...although I am still holding out hope I will get mine just in time for my birthday in July of 2018 but that's probably still a longshot..plus it's refundable if you have 1k laying around..just think about it being in the Bank of Tesla instead of your bank

Canadian deliveries will be after US deliveries. But why not? By 2019ish, they'll be producing several hundred thousand cars per year.

That's probably true and was the case with the S and the X, however, prior owners may get their cars in Canada before the general public in the States. I also note that Tesla doesn't separate out Canada from the States in their announcement:

"Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. North American deliveries will be first, followed by Europe, Asia and Pacific countries then countries with right-hand drive configurations. Those who own Model S or Model X cars will be offered priority production slots as a special thanks for supporting the Tesla mission."

I say go for it...I didn't order until Sunday morning and I live in Georgia...although I am still holding out hope I will get mine just in time for my birthday in July of 2018 but that's probably still a longshot..plus it's refundable if you have 1k laying around..just think about it being in the Bank of Tesla instead of your bank

Oh yeah... I forgot to add this one:

7: Your money will do more in that time while in Tesla's hands, than sitting in your bank-- doing nothing. Except making bankers more money.

Remember reserving the car will always give you priority over other people in your local geography. Plus you are closer to US west coast. I would imagine you should get your car earlier than rest of Canada. They only have to truck the car to you, won't even need to get on a boat like for other countries. I would do it. You can't loose.

20024028.jpg

Oh yeah... I forgot to add this one:

7: Your money will do more in that time while in Tesla's hands, than sitting in your bank-- doing nothing. Except making bankers more money.

Or you can invest your money instead of loaning it to Tesla who is sitting on a billion in cash.

Elon Musk's net worth is 13 billion by the way.

Also you can wait and buy a CPO Model 3 if the wait is going to be three years or more.

Wow, lots of folks in for the late reservation here. I guess it depends on what car you are going to order. If you are going to get a "highly optioned" car, then you might be able to wait until cars start shipping and jump ahead of others in line. I believe you can do that now with an X by ordering a P model.

If you are trying to get a base model, the longer you wait, the longer it will be to get the car. Might as well jump in if you have the cash.