Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Song Any Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly enough, if I play a "(Insert song name here) Radio" channel, then the original song gets replayed every time I start the car. If something else was playing, it finishes and then goes back to the original song again. If I want to repeat a song, I just flip to another Slacker channel and back again, and voila it plays! This seems to be the exact opposite experience than some have reported.

So, I saw Elon's Bloomberg video, and raced out to my S (standard audio) to try. Did the voice control, and said, "Play Tom Dooley" by The Kingston Trio." The S thought for a bit, then displayed a list that included Tom Dooley. When selected, nothing. If if I go to the input selection, and select "Slacker" it shows as being unavailable. Does this mean that his clever video only works if you have the Studio package, or are a paid subscriber of Slacker?

So, I saw Elon's Bloomberg video, and raced out to my S (standard audio) to try. Did the voice control, and said, "Play Tom Dooley" by The Kingston Trio." The S thought for a bit, then displayed a list that included Tom Dooley. When selected, nothing. If if I go to the input selection, and select "Slacker" it shows as being unavailable. Does this mean that his clever video only works if you have the Studio package, or are a paid subscriber of Slacker?
I don't have the sound upgrade and the feature works (90%) for me. I do wonder if Elon in that video knew ahead of time those songs happened to work ... his faves? ... and for his "Guest" it was a little luck?

I don't have the sound upgrade and the feature works (90%) for me. I do wonder if Elon in that video knew ahead of time those songs happened to work ... his faves? ... and for his "Guest" it was a little luck?
When I first got my S last year, I signed up for Slacker and paid for one month. Then heard that it was being provided free for the time being so didn't renew. I guess that borked the free access, as Slacker now shows as unavailable. And the search for the song works, it just doesn't play it when selected. Think I need to correspond with "Ownership" folks to get an answer.

Last edited:
So does not everyone feel like we need to get some feedback on the any song any time issue. If Elon put this out there and in fact is is not available, that needs to be addressed. Can we send an e-mail to technical and find out if we are missing something?

I won't be happy until I can get "Rock Atlanta" by my college friend. I know for a fact there are no recordings, however. It was also a terrible song with him and me on guitar, and we both can't play guitar. We also might have been severely intoxicated. But I won't be happy because Elon said "ANY SONG, ANY TIME!"

In reality if you search for Artist, and Song. Press on the song most of the time it plays. There seems to be some sort of 'time out' where it wont replay that same song. I think it is about 48 hours. It certainly wasn't promised to anyone when they bought the car. You just get what you get.

I do think Tesla and (probably only) Slacker should allow premium accounts all their perks in the car. I assume that is coming.

In reality if you search for Artist, and Song. Press on the song most of the time it plays. There seems to be some sort of 'time out' where it wont replay that same song. I think it is about 48 hours. It certainly wasn't promised to anyone when they bought the car. You just get what you get.

I do think Tesla and (probably only) Slacker should allow premium accounts all their perks in the car. I assume that is coming.

There not "perks" if you've paid for them. Why they're missing in the first place is a mystery and I would LOVE an answer but have asked repeatedly and received no satisfactory answer. I agree it's probably coming but the reason I'm trying to make people is aware is so owners request the functionality and we receive it sooner. I don't think it's priority #1 but it's actually pretty high on my list. Hopefully others feel the same way and make it known to Tesla so they feel motivated to address it. For those of us with premium accounts, it's a pretty noticeable difference.

While the Slacker "play any song" is clever, I'm not sure how much I'll use it. What I really want is voice control over my 30gb audio library on the flash drive. When the search results come up, it should include stuff from the flash drive as well as slacker stuff.

There not "perks" if you've paid for them. Why they're missing in the first place is a mystery and I would LOVE an answer but have asked repeatedly and received no satisfactory answer. I agree it's probably coming but the reason I'm trying to make people is aware is so owners request the functionality and we receive it sooner. I don't think it's priority #1 but it's actually pretty high on my list. Hopefully others feel the same way and make it known to Tesla so they feel motivated to address it. For those of us with premium accounts, it's a pretty noticeable difference.

I disagree about the usage of 'perk' but fine. I pay for my AmEx card every year but it comes with 'perks' as far as call them.

I would expect that this is really a Slacker problem, not a Tesla problem. How/Why would Tesla be limiting your choosing of individual tracks? Or whatever other benefits come with Slacker premium? I would call up Slacker, not Tesla on this one. It would be like blaming Apple for your Slacker premium account not working on your iPhone.

I disagree about the usage of 'perk' but fine. I pay for my AmEx card every year but it comes with 'perks' as far as call them.

I would expect that this is really a Slacker problem, not a Tesla problem. How/Why would Tesla be limiting your choosing of individual tracks? Or whatever other benefits come with Slacker premium? I would call up Slacker, not Tesla on this one. It would be like blaming Apple for your Slacker premium account not working on your iPhone.

As I mentioned, I have contacted Slacker. They say it's on Tesla. I don't see how you come to the conclusion that it's a Slacker problem when the features work fine via the web and on any iOS device. And yes, I WOULD blame APPLE if despite using the same premium account, Slacker premium worked on every device other than theirs (and they had released the app themselves to keep the analogy consistent). Why in the world wouldn't I?

As I mentioned, I have contacted Slacker. They say it's on Tesla. I don't see how you come to the conclusion that it's a Slacker problem when the features work fine via the web and on any iOS device. And yes, I WOULD blame APPLE if despite using the same premium account, Slacker premium worked on every device other than theirs (and they had released the app themselves to keep the analogy consistent). Why in the world wouldn't I?

The odd thing is that your account seems to work worse than the free Plus account provided with the car.

Clearly your problem (I use that terminology because it work fine for me) is related to Tesla/Model S, but that absolutely does not guarantee that it is on their end. As far as I can tell, Tesla wrote the Slacker App in the Model S, where it was Slacker that wrote the iOS and Android apps. It's entirely possible that the API Slacker provides their partners is incomplete, buggy or otherwise restricted; none of which would be Teslas fault.

It's also possible the app Tesla wrote is buggy, but given the nature of how Slacker works this seems unlikely. Tesla is sending either text or voice searches to Slacker, and Slacker is returning results. Tesla is asking Slacker to stream back one of those results. I doubt Tesla is sending the wrong request when you touch a search result on some Model S's but not others.

Speculation follows:
It's far more likely that Slacker expects communications with the Model S app to have certain accounts used, or certain flags on the account being used. You can easily test this by restoring your original Model S Slacker login and then attempting some of your failed searches. If it starts working, it's likely a Slacker issue with the account. If the searches still fail its also possible that the account has expired in some way. That is testable by logging in with a Slacker account from an S user that does not have these issues. If that works, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that Tesla is paying for n months of service on these accounts and was hoping to have the 3G/data packaging prices for Model S worked out by now. That would put the ball back in Teslas court... or Slackers, if accounts for use in Model S are flagged in some way (they could just flag your account).

To figure any of this out for certain is a pain, and neither Slacker nor Tesla support staff are likely to know the actual details. Maybe you can email George B.

Clearly your problem (I use that terminology because it work fine for me) is related to Tesla/Model S, but that absolutely does not guarantee that it is on their end.

I agree with most everything you wrote sciptacus. But even if the technical issue is on Slacker's end, I see it as Tesla's responsibility to address it since the reduced experience is happening in their car and more so when the CEO starts to tout that feature publicly. Perhaps I will write to George B. as suggested.

I agree with most everything you wrote sciptacus. But even if the technical issue is on Slacker's end, I see it as Tesla's responsibility to address it since the reduced experience is happening in their car and more so when the CEO starts to tout that feature publicly. Perhaps I will write to George B. as suggested.

I'd call ownership and have them look into it first. See what they and the engineers have to say.