Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Song Any Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd call ownership and have them look into it first. See what they and the engineers have to say.

I have done this already. Contacted Slacker first who said its a Tesla issue. Contacted Tesla on a couple of occasions and it took quite a while for them to understand the issue (they weren't super familiar with Slacker) When I was able to make them understand, I got a courteous but generic "I'm sure it will be improved in a future update". And again, I'm going on about this and clarifying in the hopes that it gains Tesla's attention. As great as the car is, there are many things that can be improved via software. I'm just stumping for this one as I think it will greatly improve many people's enjoyment of the car.

I don't have the sound upgrade and the feature works (90%) for me. I do wonder if Elon in that video knew ahead of time those songs happened to work ... his faves? ... and for his "Guest" it was a little luck?

For me it has only failed once. For any of the other songs I have selected and any guests have randomly picked it has been flawless.

Contacted "Ownership" regarding Slacker and the Any Song, Any Time feature and it was confirmed that a Slacker subscription is needed for that feature to work. Currently, I gather, a trial Slacker subscription is provided, but I'm unclear of how long before it must be paid for. The reason I wasn't getting access to the free trial, is that early on I did a trial paid subscription and my email and password were entered in the Media App. I was told to clear those fields out, then go click on the Tesla "T" and the free trial username/password would be entered into the media app. And it worked, so I now have Any Song, Any Time...sort of. If I use the voice command button, and say "Play Tom Dooley by the Kingston Trio" I get a list of a bunch of stuff, including Tom Dooley by the Kingston Trio. But it doesn't just play it, as it did in Elon's Bloomberg video. I have to click on the screen to get it to play. Is there some setting I'm missing?

I'm impressed it worked quite as well as it did with Elon's accent, I do suspect a little bit of practice beforehand, or maybe any bloopers were just edited out, much like the 'autoplay' has been edited in by omitting the key step of selecting the song from the screen. For me, I get about a 50% hit rate on recognition, but my accent is British with 5 years of American, which apparently makes me sound slightly Australian. Either way, from all the VR systems I've used in Audi's and Merc's, this is still the best. Low bar though, to be fair.

... in the Media App. I was told to clear those fields out, then go click on the Tesla "T" and the free trial username/password would be entered into the media app.
This sequence of steps to trigger the autopopulation of the included trial account is news to me (and probably others). Probably worthy of the FAQ or somesuch. :)

Last I heard the autopopulation was pushed out with one of the updates. I hadn't heard anything about a user-exposed way of triggering this.

I'm having significantly less luck with the feature. I have the same accent as Elon, but for me the voice recognition only works about 20% of the time, and only if I pull the car over. The rest of the time it responds with "Unrecognized command". If I move even at 10mph on a smooth road I have a 0% chance of success of having anything recognized, no matter how load, soft, slow, normal, fast, punctuated or fluent I speak. Then it responds with "Unclear recording".

When I DO finally get something up, the majority of the selection is ridiculous, and you can't just quickly go back to pick the next one - you have to start from the beginning.

My typical day:

"Play 2nd piano concerto by Rachmaninoff!"....
...unrecognized command...

" Plaaay Second piano concerto Byyy Rachmaninoff! "....

" Plaaay Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto! "....
...beep...

" Plaaay Raaachmaaaniiinoff's seeeecoooond piiiaaanooo cooonceeertooo! "....
...unclear recording...

"Plaaaaaaaaay Seeeeccooonndd piaano concerto by Raaachmaninoff!"....

Yeah! Finally the list comes up :biggrin:. Click on one. Sit back...

"NOOOO! NOT using a banjo !! :scared:".

<Sigh>

I'm having significantly less luck with the feature. I have the same accent as Elon, but for me the voice recognition only works about 20% of the time, and only if I pull the car over. The rest of the time it responds with "Unrecognized command". If I move even at 10mph on a smooth road I have a 0% chance of success of having anything recognized, no matter how load, soft, slow, normal, fast, punctuated or fluent I speak. Then it responds with "Unclear recording".

When you press and hold the voice button. You will hear a beep. DO NOT START TALKING! You have to look at the screen about 1 second later it will change to 'recording ...' then you can start.

I had this problem, and still have it to a degree, of starting too early. And the software doesn't pick up your command word and thus is entirely confused about 'Rachmaninoff'.

I tried this and my 10-15% success rate jumped into the 70-80% success rate. Just don't try "Ke$sh".

When I DO finally get something up, the majority of the selection is ridiculous, and you can't just quickly go back to pick the next one - you have to start from the beginning.

My typical day:

" Plaaay Second piano concerto Byyy Rachmaninoff! "....

" Plaaay Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto! "....
...beep...

" Plaaay Raaachmaaaniiinoff's seeeecoooond piiiaaanooo cooonceeertooo! "....
...unclear recording...

"Plaaaaaaaaay Seeeeccooonndd piaano concerto by Raaachmaninoff!"....

Yeah! Finally the list comes up :biggrin:. Click on one. Sit back...

"NOOOO! NOT using a banjo !! :scared:".

<Sigh>

I'll bet you'll have more success searching for Nikki Minaj :)

I'm told my American accent/impersonation is horrible, however, it sure helps with the VR.

I'm addressing the fact that what Elon was demonstrating is in fact something that is not truly available under any conditions in the Tesla. It SHOULD be with a premium account- but it isn't. I don't have a problem with the fact that this doesn't come with the car (although even that would be something he should state as in "with a premium subscription to Slacker this is what a Tesla can do") but that it's mostly not possible at all makes it really lame that he would be demonstrating it for the media. ... it's something that Tesla should work out with Slacker and especially if they're going to tout the feature publicly.

I completely agree. I was very confused by the fact that I could not recreate what Elon was demonstrating in the video. I get the actual song selected about 6 or 7 times out of ten. Other times I get the similar song that Slacker chooses for you instead.

I've already been embarrassed twice doing the Elon demo. I looked like an idiot when I told my friend "Name any song and I can play it!", he responds with "Hotel California by the Eagles" and instead Slacker decides to play Witchy Woman! Slacker presented the song I wanted on the screen but simply chose not to play it when I selected it.

Having said all that I have to admit that I've really enjoyed Slacker and I often enjoy the subsequent songs it plays that it deems similar. I just wish we had the ability to stream the exact song we asked for all the time.

In addition, I have noticed that I occasionally get short 7-10 second Slacker ads thrown into the mix. Stuff like "Hi, this is Glenn Fry from The Eagles and you are listening to Slacker Radio".

I completely agree. I was very confused by the fact that I could not recreate what Elon was demonstrating in the video. I get the actual song selected about 6 or 7 times out of ten. Other times I get the similar song that Slacker chooses for you instead.

I've already been embarrassed twice doing the Elon demo. I looked like an idiot when I told my friend "Name any song and I can play it!", he responds with "Hotel California by the Eagles" and instead Slacker decides to play Witchy Woman! Slacker presented the song I wanted on the screen but simply chose not to play it when I selected it.

Having said all that I have to admit that I've really enjoyed Slacker and I often enjoy the subsequent songs it plays that it deems similar. I just wish we had the ability to stream the exact song we asked for all the time.

In addition, I have noticed that I occasionally get short 7-10 second Slacker ads thrown into the mix. Stuff like "Hi, this is Glenn Fry from The Eagles and you are listening to Slacker Radio".

Are you logged into your own account? I tested it today and my premium account doesn't work the same as the default account for playing songs directly. I still suspect it's a Slacker issue, not a Tesla issue.

Could be either an editing job...or...perhaps...a newer version of the software that both selects/starts it AND does the recognition faster.

Likely the former, although I'd be happy with the latter.

SuperCoug, in the Media App you can choose the music source: Slacker, TuneIn, USB, XM, AM, FM, or Bluetooth.

- - - Updated - - -

Foolish of me to think anyone would read the manual :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Owner, some tips:

-Make sure you wait until after the beep and it says "recording" before you start speaking. There's about a 1-2 sec delay after pressing the button before you should start speaking.

-Make sure you let up on the button AFTER you finish speaking.

-Format is "PLAY xxxxxx BY xxxxxxx". If you don't know the artist, exclude "BY xxxxxx".

-Speak at a normal volume/rate.

-Open windows/sunroof may interfere with good recognition.

I think the recognition speed is also dependent on the 3G network speed (I observed it being much faster when I have a good connection than when the connection is limited). So it may be that the car had a good connection (or maybe it was a car connected through 4G, I hope that option is available in future cars, and perhaps as an upgrade for the Model S, though I may be dreaming on that). The usability difference that a 4G connection would make (to maps, GPS and even Slacker radio) would be very significant.