TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any stolen Teslas?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hybris, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Hybris

Hybris Member

not heard of any stolen Teslas so far? anyone?

2. Blaze

Blaze Member

Great question. Not aware of any but....

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

4. pwillemse78

pwillemse78 Member

One was taken away for half an hour here in the Netherlands as the driver left his key in the car, the other one was a misunderstanding as the car was towed away foe not being plugged in in a charging parking spot...

5. tezco

tezco Sig P85

6. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

My wife steals mine all the time. Twice I've been at a restaurant and she happened to be in the area and left me with her Highlander hybrid. The app is a curse and a blessing. As is that extra key.

Her all time best was a beautiful spring day when I'd taken the train in to work due to the President being in NYC (traffic hell). She went to the station, took the car and had a grand old time all day, then returned it to my spot with a rated range of something like 70 miles. She thought it was hilarious, and I had to agree.

Her Model X can't get here soon enough!!

• Like x 1
  7. tom66

tom66 Member

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not surprisingly, the only reported cases of thefts of Teslas involved the key being stolen first. It's unlikely we'll see one stolen without the key any time soon as there is no ignition to "hotwire." Like many modern luxury cars, the ECU won't start without the coded key present.

Short of someone hacking the key authentication protocol or reverse engineering the local car network and exploiting a vulnerability in the drive computer, the car is essentially un-stealable (*) without the key. Anyone good enough to do either of those things can likely already afford one through legitimate employment. :)

(*) someone could tow one away and chop shop it, but it would probably be hard to part it out without leaving a trace.

• Funny x 1
  9. gnelson

gnelson Member

It is also easy to see where the Model S is located with the smartphone app.

10. No Tailpipe

No Tailpipe Member

+1 Mike

11. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

LOL!

12. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Can we somehow make sure that USAA, Geico, Allstate &c read this thread? It definitely​ falls under Required Reading 101 for them....

13. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I can!

That Model S was stolen in Amsterdam by somebody who broke into his house and stole the keyfob. The police tracked him down very quickly and the owner could obviously see the car on his App. The only damage was a can of cola spilled on the passenger seat.

There was a short rumor of a stolen Model S in the Netherlands without a keyfob, but that turned out to be a Model S towed away for not being plugged in to a charging station.

Then there is this story: My S was stolen | Forums | Tesla Motors

I'm not aware of any Model S being stolen without a keyfob and not being found again.

But what's the value of a stolen Model S? It's almost useless without a 3G connection and as soon as it's connected to 3G Tesla can locate it and presumably block it remotely.

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

That's a good point. If nothing else though, over time the lack of reported thefts should help keep rates down.

You can, and should, inform your insurance company that your car has a "location tracking and theft recovery device." That should be good for a discount on your premium.

15. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

It seems to me this angle hasn't been covered adequately by the media when reviewing Model S: it's just another of Tesla's strengths that the car is nearly immune to grand theft auto. Is there another car out there that can claim to be better in this regard?

16. huntjo

huntjo Member

Your wife rules!

17. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

I think that should defintetly be a feature.

18. Obsoletion

Obsoletion Member

I was thinking about the value of a battery pack and the supposed ease of battery swapping... seems like a $40,000+ battery pack could be had too easily.

19. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

What would you do with a stolen battery pack? The serial number would register to any car it was installed into, unlike a tank of gas, which is rather anonymous.

20. Obsoletion

Obsoletion Member

Heck, what would I do with a stolen Model S? I wouldn't do anything with it, but who knows with some people... criminals aren't always smart, lol. But Seriously, at some point down the road there may be some valuable use of them on the black market