Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Tesla X Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This part of the story makes sense to me. Witnessing the sequence of events after the fact would be fairly trivial if one had security cameras around their property. If one did, since you would know the date of the theft, it would be a fairly trivial matter to look back through your camera recordings to see what happened.
If the OP has the surveillance video then he/she should present to the police.
If the car was already torn down and electrical connections were cut off then no way the car can be traced.

If the OP has the surveillance video then he/she should present to the police.
If the car was already torn down and electrical connections were cut off then no way the car can be traced.
Presenting surveillance camera video to the police would not do anything related to "where is the car now" so that part isnt relevant to "Tesla wont help me find the car!" complaint from this OP.

Reactions: rpo and advocate8
The car was bought brand new. Everything can be seen very well on the security camera footage. At the moment, both insurers and the police are looking for her. When the investigation is complete I will post the full transcripts for all to see and consider how to defend themselves. I hope no one falls into my case! The problem is that Tesla does not cooperate in any way, and the first more normal response I received from them was a month after the theft, which is "that they cannot provide information about the car after the event". How can they not see who used an account to generate a key. That was the last message from the car I got on the phone - about an added key. It's also the only message I've received, and it's a few minutes after the car disappears from the dash cams. I don't understand another thing - this X, why doesn't he raise an alarm when his side window is removed?

The car was bought brand new. Everything can be seen very well on the security camera footage. At the moment, both insurers and the police are looking for her. When the investigation is complete I will post the full transcripts for all to see and consider how to defend themselves. I hope no one falls into my case! The problem is that Tesla does not cooperate in any way, and the first more normal response I received from them was a month after the theft, which is "that they cannot provide information about the car after the event". How can they not see who used an account to generate a key. That was the last message from the car I got on the phone - about an added key. It's also the only message I've received, and it's a few minutes after the car disappears from the dash cams. I don't understand another thing - this X, why doesn't he raise an alarm when his side window is removed?
There’s no reason to wait to post the footage.

Frankly, there also isnt any reason to post such footage at all, either. It doesnt do anything for the OP, at all, and only would serve to sate curiosity, nothing else.
strongly disagree. If he’s trying to spread the word and if there is indeed a security flaws, this “great” security footage that shows everything would be far more compelling, more believable and get way more exposure, which are the the things they have stated are the goals of their post. Sooo, your dislike for people posting video footage is actually the driver behind your opinion on this.

strongly disagree. If he’s trying to spread the word and if there is indeed a security flaws, this “great” security footage that shows everything would be far more compelling, more believable and get way more exposure, which are the the things they have stated are the goals of their post. Sooo, your dislike for people posting video footage is actually the driver behind your opinion on this.
Agreed, the anti-tesla crowd would spread rampant stories about this and potentially force an official response or fix to the lack of logs on the theft. It certainly sounds like someone knows how to generate new keys via the network port by the display…

Seems like P2D wasn’t enabled, nor ultrasonic cabin alarm, and the thieves required VIN as part of a CAN BUS injection attack, gaining entry via fractured driver window pane displacement. Game over at that point really, perhaps the insurer/police will have more success in obtaining information from Tesla Austria.

Here’s an interesting anecdote from the US. My car and many others got towed once by the US federal authorities as a security precaution. The app never notified me, and in fact the app showed the old location. And Tesla corporate would/could not tell me where it was.
The car doesn’t activate the gps module when it isn’t driving. As soon as it goes into D or R it will report. Probably to reduce vampire drain but who knows.

Has anyone else heard of these Tesla thefts happening? I have not which is surprising given the density of Teslas. Even on my little block Teslas make up 30+% of cars and none stolen. At least that is my estimate of Teslas from the cars parked outside on the street or driveways. It might be higher if I add in the ones in garages.

And many of the people in the larger Bay Area, including thieves are into tech. We just installed a CAT 6 based set of video cameras with facial recognition, constant recording, human monitoring, and more because thieves are carrying Wifi-jammers that cut off Wifi enabled cameras like Ring, etc.

I am saddened to report a stolen Tesla X Plaid, red - top trim level. Everyone thinks it's not true, but it's a fact. The thieves first remove the frame, then return and after breaking and removing the driver's window, they need about 20 minutes to drive off with the car. Finally I got a message on the phone that a key has been added. After numerous letters to Tesla on all sorts of emails - I got a reply that they can't do anything about it... I have been without my beloved red Tesla for almost two months now. How can it possibly evaporate!? And how come Tesla can't say anything, even during the theft? I think there should be some kind of logs. It is strange how the car's car does not set off any alarm and why the thieves do not open any of the doors but enter and exit through the window.
What bothers me the most is that Tesla is not cooperating in any way and as if this is a normal thing... How can I be sure that if I buy a Plaid again it will be protected?
How many Tesla Plaid reds are there in Europe? How the most protected electric car became a victim and disappeared like smoke in a chimney, why does Tesla not cooperate in any way!?
Funny, but I just received that same notice on my phone today. "a key has been added" it just popped up on my phone, but I can't find anything about it on the Tesla app. I checked the car to see if any phones had been added. None that i could see. From what i seen, there were the two key cards and one "unkown" key at the bottom of the list. I tried to remove it, but strangely it ask for the key to be place where it's supposed to be in the center before it would remove the key. WELL I DON'T HAVE THE UNKNOWN KEY, so how could I put it there to remove it? So, I'm sorta wondering what's going to happen now.

• Informative
Reactions: Smileysam
Funny, but I just received that same notice on my phone today. "a key has been added" it just popped up on my phone, but I can't find anything about it on the Tesla app. I checked the car to see if any phones had been added. None that i could see. From what i seen, there were the two key cards and one "unkown" key at the bottom of the list. I tried to remove it, but strangely it ask for the key to be place where it's supposed to be in the center before it would remove the key. WELL I DON'T HAVE THE UNKNOWN KEY, so how could I put it there to remove it? So, I'm sorta wondering what's going to happen now.
Go to Tesla right away and have that key removed. Or purchase a new key and that will force them to recode all your keys.

Go to Tesla right away and have that key removed. Or purchase a new key and that will force them to recode all your keys.
Definitely take to Tesla ASAP, esp if you cannot make the new key go away. But buying a new key won't recode all the keys for one of the new cars with key cards and phone pairing. That's only for the older fob systems.

But,that does bring up a good point. If the card you have has somehow been cloned, purchasing a new one and removing that one might be wise.

Not sure why they allow key card pairing without a pin or a special card. At this point, any card lets you add a new card. But at least it does warn you if the car and phone are online at the time.

Edit: and add pin to drive