Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to get safely on 4 jack stands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even used correctly (I've verified this with the owner of the company... and I've been messing with cars for 20+ years), these are highly likely to end up denting your jack points *a little bit.* I don't like it because I'm anal, but objectively, I don't think it's a big deal because function isn't impaired and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. (Also, aluminum is "work hardened" after it's bent - hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in on this.)

He told me a few months ago he's "working on a solution" on this, but have yet to hear anything and haven't followed-up (yet) because small companies are freaking the F out at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up, as I was planning on ordering these...

You could get these Jack up all four corners at once
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Is this an actual product that is available?
Links?

That's a great idea !! I think I'll go this route so I can use it on our other cars also.
I thought about getting those, but they're way too bulky for my frequency of use - each rail weighs close to 80 lbs. I went with the Rennstands because they're simple, you can easily use one if you're just doing a little bit of work, all of them fit in a small duffel bag, and they fit any car (as long as you have the right adapter).

I'm still unhappy about the jack points, so I'm carefully going to watch that. I'll be following-up w/ the owner of the company & coming up with my own solution in the meantime...

I thought about getting those, but they're way too bulky for my frequency of use - each rail weighs close to 80 lbs. I went with the Rennstands because they're simple, you can easily use one if you're just doing a little bit of work, all of them fit in a small duffel bag, and they fit any car (as long as you have the right adapter).

I'm still unhappy about the jack points, so I'm carefully going to watch that. I'll be following-up w/ the owner of the company & coming up with my own solution in the meantime...

Valid points - Thanks !! I'll hang out and wait. I dropped down from the OEM 20" wheels on my Model 3 to 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels and bought the tires from America's Tires (Discount Tires) and they came with free rotation and balancing, so not in a hurry anymore.....

Those have a $25 "Tesla" premium. The black Safe Jack's have the same weight rating and are $125. I have been looking for used ones or discounts for the last month and couldn't find any. Hopefully someone in my local Tesla Owners Club will have some I can borrow.
Not really. The "tesla" version comes with the adapter you need. To add the adapters to the black Safe Jack's brings the price right up to the same amount.

What sucks about those is that they're not adjustable. Designing a car without central jack points front & rear simply needs to be illegal.

I made the Rennstand adapters a bit more Tesla-friendly today - if anyone's interested let me know & I'll try to get around to making a DIY:

View attachment 531561
Definitely interested. Links for materials used. Please.

I have this low profile jack that has built-in jack stand functionality https://smile.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-620479E-Profile-Floor-Safety/dp/B00OCIBPIM/ and I've used it along with jack pads many times to rotate tires and lube brakes. This year I decided that I wanted to lift the whole car at once instead of one side at a time so I purchased 2 more. I have a total of 3, plus a fourth "jack stand" made of wood. The nice thing about these jacks is that they roll along with the car so I don't have to worry about tipping the jack stands.
IMG_20200329_151417.jpg IMG_20200329_160520.jpg IMG_20200329_155038.jpg IMG_20200329_155024.jpg

And here are some photos of the 2 locking heights for the jacks.
IMG_20200329_140543.jpg IMG_20200329_140705.jpg

I have this low profile jack that has built-in jack stand functionality https://smile.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-620479E-Profile-Floor-Safety/dp/B00OCIBPIM/ and I've used it along with jack pads many times to rotate tires and lube brakes. This year I decided that I wanted to lift the whole car at once instead of one side at a time so I purchased 2 more. I have a total of 3, plus a fourth "jack stand" made of wood. The nice thing about these jacks is that they roll along with the car so I don't have to worry about tipping the jack stands.

How much do those weigh ? Amazon Product Information has the item weight at 7.75 lbs...

remove the plastic trim from the bottom of the rear coil spring assembly. 10mm bolt
jack the car from below the coil spring, place jack stand in that corn's jack point. repeat other side of car.
do the same for each front. there might not be plastic trim in front.

There is no safe way to put a car on 4 jack stands with a single floor jack.
Even with two floor jacks you are asking to be the next viral YouTube video.
The car doesn't go straight up. The jack point moves, which tries to tip the jack stands over.
I do either nose, then tail, or L then R. And I have lots of floor jacks.