Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody care to estimate cost to replace battery out of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
again, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. Sorry to be so blunt, but really, you need to do more research before you start talking. I still get in the 240s per charge. better than a lot of people who babied their batteries. Rated range of course, reality is a couple hundred miles. I've driven it to what is called zero on the "gauge" and charged to 100% a lot. I think it's four or five times that we've had to call a tow truck, because the Tesla shut itself down. I've supercharged it literally thousands of times. The only long-term study not done by Tesla the cars that supercharged more often actually had longer lasting batteries.

don't misunderstand, there's reasons for all of that, but really, it's pretty hard to damage these things. The BMS never lets you get to real zero, never to real 100%. and of course, there's no point in beating up your battery. If I'm not driving around I leave it in the 60% range. but, that's now. Like I said, for years it did get beat up really hard. I'm sure there was at least 50 times when we accidentally left it at 100%, where it sat for 12-14 hours. I do charge it to 100% at least once a week even now. The Tesloop batteries never had anything but supercharging, and one of their batteries is reported to have gone over 300,000 miles.

So, just use the thing, enjoy it! Well, assuming you own a Tesla at all.

actually there is one way to go beyond 100% - if you supercharge from near 0% to 100% without letting the car rest you can charge above 100% even though the BMS tries to underread it quite often cant if there is such a high charge % involved. I.e. you can charge to 104% etc. The car will of course display 100% as it assumes you charge to 100% though hypothetically if you let it sit after the 100% charge and let the car take a few good quality voltage readings it will quickly realize the battery is actually overvolted.

If I charge at a destination charger and come home and the car rests I often get up to 2-4% range back just from letting it sit (without sleeping) for 30min or so.

This has ruined some fleet car batteries as they repeatedly charge from 0 to 100% every day for a year which completely wrecks the battery.

actually there is one way to go beyond 100% - if you supercharge from near 0% to 100% without letting the car rest you can charge above 100% even though the BMS tries to underread it quite often cant if there is such a high charge % involved. I.e. you can charge to 104% etc. The car will of course display 100% as it assumes you charge to 100% though hypothetically if you let it sit after the 100% charge and let the car take a few good quality voltage readings it will quickly realize the battery is actually overvolted.

If I charge at a destination charger and come home and the car rests I often get up to 2-4% range back just from letting it sit (without sleeping) for 30min or so.

This has ruined some fleet car batteries as they repeatedly charge from 0 to 100% every day for a year which completely wrecks the battery.

do you have some references for those fleet batteries being destroyed by this type of charging? It's just that I've not seen such a thing.

There are many reasons a battery will show 10% loss, but actually hasn’t.
Of course, your battery could have that amount of loss though. It depends on how you’ve treated it.
You can kill a combustion engine quickly, and you can kill a battery fairly quickly also.
There are a ton of folks here that care for the batteries really well, and they’ll likely last a long time. There are folks that beat the crap out of them as well, and those batteries won’t last long.
When I read posts that people have high degradation, it either means they have a defective battery, or they’ve beat the crap out of it.
No one here admits to that though. :)

Actually mine is a bit more than 10%. It went from 264 to 228. I’ve taken very good care of the battery. It’s been superchargered only 3 times, charged to 100% only once, allowed below 20% once and is always plugged in (charge set to 80%). Tesla service will only tell me the battery is within specs and advise me to set it to percentage. That is unhelpful as it’s using a significantly higher percentage to make the same trips.

You’re saying that your cars battery is doing great, so by default, no one should worry about how they treat their battery.
You’ve also now said that I don’t know what I’m talking about, and should do more research before talkingbecause your battery is doing great. :)

I’m not going to spell out to you how your logic is flawed here. :) you figure that out on your own.

So you must think Tesla doesn’t know what their talking about, because I’m referencing their recommendations for a healthy long lasting battery.

There are documented cases where others have not followed Tesla’s recommendations, and have had to have the pack replaced.
But you keep thinking that if your battery is good, everyone’s will be, regardless of how they treat it. LOL.

what I am saying is that I think the treatment of batteries issue is way blown out of proportion. I don't think we have to do anywhere near as much careful babying of the cars as people tend to want to say. sure, it's always better to treat your car, or anything else, better. I'm just saying that it is nowhere near as big a deal as some people make it. Look at what tesloop has done. They beat those cars to death, and one of them is reported to have gone over 300,000 miles on a single battery. Nothing but super charging ever!

I'm just saying that we unnecessarily scare people off from electric cars when we talk about how you have to be so very careful charging them. It's just not true. It's good to be careful, not necessary. I'm hardly a single case out there, there are lots of people with lots of miles who don't do any sort of extra caution in caring for their vehicles when it comes to charging. Just don't scare people. That's all I'm asking.

• Love
Reactions: OzVic and Rocky_H
WOW. $13.5k is much higher than I was expecting it would be... This doesn't fair well for a replacement when the time comes and may even outweigh the savings in gas over the years... I was expecting $7-8k
I just had the HV battery in my 2013Tesla s60 fail and then replaced by Tesla...total cost incl. labor: $11,700. Four yr, 50k warranty incl. Has same range as before.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline and Rocky_H