Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody care to estimate cost to replace battery out of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service centers do not service batteries, it's always a complete swap. Presumably they are getting refurbished somewhere. It is $13.5k (plus $875 labor) to fix anything on the battery even if there is no damage to any of the modules.

Yeah, that plastic fitting on the Model 3 battery is the most expensive plastic fitting ever. I wonder when someone will come up with an aftermarket bolt on shield for it.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The service centers do not service batteries, it's always a complete swap. Presumably they are getting refurbished somewhere. It is $13.5k (plus $875 labor) to fix anything on the battery even if there is no damage to any of the modules.

You are confusing the cells with the modules.

We've been told the Model 3 battery pack is arranged in four modules which can be replaced individually. Each module contains many, many cells.
As compared to the design on S&X where the whole battery pack has to be replaced.

We've been told the Model 3 battery pack is arranged in four modules which can be replaced individually. Each module contains many, many cells.
As compared to the design on S&X where the whole battery pack has to be replaced.

Yes, but currently Tesla will only replace complete battery packs (they are not offering module replacement at the Service Center). The $13,500 is to replace the entire battery pack. Look in the EPC for confirmation.

That is why, even if there is damage to the casing or an internal coolant line the whole pack will be replaced (again, for now).

Reactions: Rocky_H

The Model S&X packs have 16 modules. There are no part numbers in the catalog for the individual modules in the Model 3 and there have been no reports of a service center being able to repair anything inside the battery. For example, this is a $15k of damage:
20190620_125418.jpg

Battery damaged

I read a sobering thread in the MS section about someone needing to replace their 60 kWh pack out of warranty. Tesla denied a good-will replacement and quoted him $11K. Most replies thought that was very fair for a refurbished pack from Tesla. I think the TM3 pack is less modular than the MS pack and therefore more likely to require a whole new pack vs a module replacement in the event of something going wrong. I also feel that Tesla batteries are pretty durable, but statistically speaking there will be failures and Tesla will not goo8 will them all. If someone loses the lottery and needs to replace their LR pack out of warranty what do you guys thick that might cost starting, say, in 2022?

Are you expecting it to cost the same in 5 years?
Page 2 has discussion relevant to this.

The Elon quote requires Li-ion pricing below $100/kWh. This was previously forecasted for 2024

For whole pack replacements with refurbished units and a returned bad unit, I don't see prices dropping a lot. Refurb units don't depend on new material costs that much. Historically, we haven't seen Tesla extend highly discounted battery costs to the customer years down the road. I don't think there's a precedent for cutting the cost substantially.

For new material, you're looking at either brand new manufactured units or remanufacturing your own pack with fresh modules. Brand new packs are unlikely, as they are needed for new vehicle sales. So you're stuck with remanufacture, if they ever offer it. While this may be cheaper in parts, it's a heck of a lot more labour. There's also shipping involved since they can't/won't unseal the packs at Service Centres.

Page 2 has discussion relevant to this.

The Elon quote requires Li-ion pricing below $100/kWh. This was previously forecast for 2024

For whole pack replacements with refurbished units and a returned bad unit, I don't see prices dropping a lot. Refurb units don't depend on new material costs that much. Historically, we haven't seen Tesla extend highly discounted battery costs to the customer years down the road. I don't think there's a precedent for cutting the cost substantially.

For new material, you're looking at either brand new manufactured units or remanufacturing your own pack with fresh modules. Brand new packs are unlikely, as they are needed for new vehicle sales. So you're stuck with remanufacture, if they ever offer it. While this may be cheaper in parts, it's a heck of a lot more labour. There's also shipping involved since they can't/won't unseal the packs at Service Centres.

Plus, except for really high mileage Model 3, people won't be out of warranty for another 6 years.

Even ours, with 24K miles per year, the battery will still be in warranty for about another 3 years (120K miles total).

So the question will be, what will the module replacement cost in 4 or 6 or 8 years.

Plus, except for really high mileage Model 3, people won't be out of warranty for another 6 years.

Even ours, with 24K miles per year, the battery will still be in warranty for about another 3 years (120K miles total).

So the question will be, what will the module replacement cost in 4 or 6 or 8 years.
Hopefully by that point there will be third party shops that can remanufacture batteries. There are many shops that specialize in replacing modules in Prius batteries. I suspect that it won't make much sense to replace degraded batteries though. It will probably make more sense to sell the car to someone who doesn't need as much range and buy a new one.

Reactions: outdoors
Hopefully by that point there will be third party shops that can remanufacture batteries. There are many shops that specialize in replacing modules in Prius batteries. I suspect that it won't make much sense to replace degraded batteries though. It will probably make more sense to sell the car to someone who doesn't need as much range and buy a new one.

I think that Tesla battery packs use fairly proprietary assembly methods and composition, which might make 3rd party options inferior/undesirable...

I think that Tesla battery packs use fairly proprietary assembly methods and composition, which might make 3rd party options inferior/undesirable...

Composition and being proprietary does not necessarily relate to maintainability. My opinion, but the Model 3 pack is designed to be very easy to work on and swap parts of out. The area with the cells and BMS board is only slightly less so (sealant involved).

I think the much bigger problem is firmware procedures when doing replacements of parts. Having to send certain commands etc. or match up serial numbers might be required. Nothing that can't be faked or accommodated, but the effort involved is very different which definitely impacts feasibility of wide availability and pricing of such a service.

I'm going through battery issues now. It will be 8 years in Dec 24 with about 205,000. My MS 85 recently would only charge 1 mile per 15mins at a super charger. Tesla's lead tech and escalated to a engineer said everything is normal. This makes me wonder what the heck? Even giving exact dates and time.

Makes me wonder if tesla does not want to honor the battery warranty. I was hoping that calling the tesla charging line would put something in the ticket, but they do not.

I will keep everyone posted to see what tesla has to say on this after i talk with the manager. This vehicle isn't made for long range, but with warranty i was hoping that wouldn't matter. Just venting i guess. Very frustrating.

Reactions: mrgoogle