Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else compulsively checking up on Tesla w/ app?

Do you compulsively check up on Tesla w/ app?

• Yes, it makes me feel good

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • No, what a waste of time

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just don't complain about the vampire drain, from not letting the car go to sleep.

What TexasEV said. Whenever you "ping" the car with the app, the car wakes up from a lower-power sleep mode (if it had been asleep) and stays awake for a few minutes. This causes extra drain on the battery, and hence range loss if unplugged or extra draw on the AC power source if it's plugged in. You can actually monitor this process with TeslaFi, if you sign up for an account. Be aware, though, that TeslaFi can cause an increase in vampire drain, too. I'm still new to the Tesla world, so I don't yet have direct experience with which to judge how much vampire drain TeslaFi can cause. I get the impression it's pretty minimal if it's properly configured, but there are a lot of options, so it's easy to get it wrong. Also, using TeslaFi means giving a third party access to your Tesla's data, which you might not want to do.

Reactions: bpjones and jerry33
No.

However with summer coming on in force I'm getting of the mind that I want to be checking in 10 minutes ahead of going out to my car. :) The tint is doing a pretty good job of taking the edge off of the dash-melting heat here south of 30 degrees latitude but it still warrants a little advance AC to bring the temps down into the mid-20Cs.

I only do this when on wifi and I'm expecting an update soon. I'm just hoping that once the car is awake it might call home to see if there's an update to download... (it might be wishful thinking, I don't know)

Ha! I have the same theory, but it really hasn't panned out. I also try resetting the car sometimes to see if that will trigger the update. It's like Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football - it'll work this time!

I do check the app more than I should, but I'm used to checking all my energy related apps frequently: SolarEdge, Sense, Tesla...

Last edited:
Ha! I have the same theory, but it really hasn't panned out. I also try resetting the car sometimes to see if that will trigger the update.

I do check the app more than I should, but I'm used to checking all my energy related apps frequently: SolarEdge, Sense, Tesla...
When I know there's a mass rollout I check it several times to no avail. My wife checks it on her phone once and sure enough 5 seconds later there's an update. I don't know if it's an android vs iphone thing or just a strange coincidence. It's happened a few times now.