Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody go from an S-Class to Model X?

Should I get a Model X, S-Class or Audi A8?

• Model S

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • S-Class

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Audi A8

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Model X

Votes: 45 62.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my car, both does not work. You've to give the steering wheel a little push first for lane change. And while it detects the speed, it does not adjust to it (autopilot V1).

That's so weird. So, mine has done lane change with ONLY the indicator lever for a long time. Recently, aka last month or two, an update has clearly been pushed that has significantly increased the smoothness of the lane changes. It used to be very aggressive. My friend has confirmed the behavior change as well. I have a AP1 car as well, 2016 Refresh P90DL but my wife's and my friends are the pre-refresh cars with AP1. One thing is the indicator has to be held until the lane change is about 80% complete aka you can't just flick the lever and expect it to lane change. Try holding the lever in the direction you want to go until the car has passed over the dotted line and then let go.

Also, there is a setting that states how far above the speed limit you wish to allow the car to go. You might want to check that. My car slows down (I have it set to 10mph above the speed limit) when it sees a lower speed limit aka on my drive home, it goes from 45 mph limit to 35 mph and the car slows down.

BTW, note, try pushing the turn signal indicator say up to change right against the detent but not to the point that it stays by itself (aka over the detent). Aka push and hold up against the tension and the car will start to change lanes, if you let go too soon, it will go back to the same lane, if you continue to hold the pressure up against the detent, it will complete the lane change, then you can let go and the indicator will turn off.

I haven't tried it but perhaps if you're pushing the indicator over the detent to where the indicator stays on, you may then need to additionally push the steering wheel. So, try with just the lever, holding it up until the lane change completes

Last edited:
Also, on the speed thing, set your overage to say 10mph. For example, if you're overage allowance is set to 20 and you've set your cruise to 55 in a 45 mph zone, then even if the speed limit drops to 35, the car will not slow down because 35+20=55. However, if you set your overage allowance to 10, then in that same scenario, your car would drop from 55 to 45 when it hits the 35 mph zone (35+10).

Your small mention of the SO is interesting and telling of how different people have different backgrounds and views.

I bet TMC has a lot of people (and the tech sector as well as people with environmental thinking in particular) where Tesla has exactly the right kind of brand recognition and Mercedes has the wrong kind.

Just goes to show how different priorities and opinions can be based on where you are coming from.

On TMC - and in the wider Tesla and EV driving community - we are a bit in a bubble, IMO.
Yes, brand recognition and size of car, the larger equating to better in safety and storage--tho storage needs are not as frequent, are determining factors for some...

That's so weird. So, mine has done lane change with ONLY the indicator lever for a long time. Recently, aka last month or two, an update has clearly been pushed that has significantly increased the smoothness of the lane changes. It used to be very aggressive. My friend has confirmed the behavior change as well. I have a AP1 car as well, 2016 Refresh P90DL but my wife's and my friends are the pre-refresh cars with AP1. One thing is the indicator has to be held until the lane change is about 80% complete aka you can't just flick the lever and expect it to lane change. Try holding the lever in the direction you want to go until the car has passed over the dotted line and then let go.

Also, there is a setting that states how far above the speed limit you wish to allow the car to go. You might want to check that. My car slows down (I have it set to 10mph above the speed limit) when it sees a lower speed limit aka on my drive home, it goes from 45 mph limit to 35 mph and the car slows down.

On a related note, I think AP1 hardware is wholly inadequate for making lane changes on its own due to its sole reliance on ultrasonic (ultraslow?) sensors. I've hit hidden objects a few times during parking because I was in a rush and tried to park fast and ultrasonics didn't pick it up quickly enough to alert me in time. The lack of rear corner radars is also another glaring omission. There are many instances when a vehicle is trying to change lanes while another vehicle is moving at high speed towards that free space in the adjacent lane from behind such that the two could collide. That's why I think most (all?) automakers rely on rear/rear corner radar for blind spot assist systems.

What's even more concerning is that no rear radar was added in AP2 hardware. The cameras might not be sufficient on their own in all situations. For instance, every now and then you find a driver who forgets to switch on his/her headlights (why govt. allow non-auto headlights is beyond me). On the highway at night a camera alone wouldn't pick up such a vehicle in the blind spot but radar would. This isn't the only situation where cameras alone wouldn't suffice for lane change. What about driving in snowy, slushy, salted roads? There isn't even a washer/wiper on the cameras. My car has junction cameras at the same height as the two side cameras in the turn signal light in AP2 and they're pretty useless for a good chunk of winter.

It's little things like these that concern me that AP2 will be far from sufficient in its FSD capabilities at a level that will be acceptable to regulators or a public large segments of which are skeptical of autonomous vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

I tried it again, doesn't work without holding the steering wheel just before or after using the indicator stalk. It doesn't matter if you move the stalk to the latching position or just holding it - it explicitly asks for hands on, which is ridiculous, since using the indicator stalk is a very good indication of driver awareness.

I tried it again, doesn't work without holding the steering wheel just before or after using the indicator stalk. It doesn't matter if you move the stalk to the latching position or just holding it - it explicitly asks for hands on, which is ridiculous, since using the indicator stalk is a very good indication of driver awareness.
have you considered the possibility that your car is malfunctioning and needs to get to a service center so they can address the problems you're having

Guys, Vic is a legend in the tech community. His statement about Tesla is a big testament in their favor.

I have a Mercedes C class and VW GTI (which worked great before we had a baby). But once I drove a Tesla, I can't drive an ICE again.

This Monday I am getting a Model X and need to decide which car to replace among the two that I have. Next car is getting replaced by a Model 3. In all possible way, Tesla is a better car. It's is missing a few things but they are working hard on those things.

I have built and sold a few startups. My philosophy there is go in the following order: Functional -> Fast -> Pretty.

Functional means the core functionality is there (e.g. sending a message on FB Messenger). Fast means, you can do the things you need to do in an easier manner (e.g type head of contacts selection in FB messenger vs scrolling through the whole list). Pretty means final polish (e.g. colors and animation).

Tesla seems to be following the same philosophy. Clearly they have nailed the functional with the electric drive train. Right now they are in the fast phase, when they are trying to get usability parity with other luxury cars. In a couple of years they will start focus on pretty. Hang on tight!

Only thing that I wish Tesla had is Automatic Emergency Braking and Cross Traffic alert. I know they have these to some extend, but not as good as Mercedes. I hope that they get better at it by the end of this year. If they don't, I will probably come out of my sabbatical to help them build it.
You must be desi with "bijli" as your handle lol.