Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody with insight about when Model 3 will have CHAdeMO enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

This is a Big Deal to me and some others, notably Japan and Canada, and Canadian deliveries are beginning, so it should be time. Does anybody know what is happening?

It's inexcusable for Tesla not to make basic info like this available to owners and prospective owners.

(And so is not having basic software features like this finished 7 months(!) into production, but I'll stick to one complaint at a time.) ;)
The safe assumption is that the adapter will work when the Japanese 3's start shipping. If it works beforehand that would be seen as a bonus... Or at least that is how I am taking it all...

Reactions: davewill
It's inexcusable for Tesla not to make basic info like this available to owners and prospective owners.

How is it not available? They don't list it as a feature, and in the store it clearly lists that the CHAdeMO adapter is for the S&X. (For things that are compatible with the 3 they have updated the store to reflect that.)

If what you are referring to is that they aren't letting you know when/if CHAdeMO support will be available for the Model 3, maybe they don't know when that will be yet. (It is probably a much lower priority than everything else they need to get added/fixed/working on the Model 3.)

For me the question is not "WHEN" but simply "do they plan to support chademo ? "
People just assume it is their intention but I've never seen any official comment or document from Tesla saying Model 3 will support chademo. They must tell us if they intend to do it or not. This is a deal breaker for me.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
For me the question is not "WHEN" but simply "do they plan to support chademo ? "
People just assume it is their intention but I've never seen any official comment or document from Tesla saying Model 3 will support chademo. They must tell us if they intend to do it or not. This is a deal breaker for me.

Another deal breaker. How will Tesla survive!??

• Funny
Reactions: DR61 and miimura
What possible reason would they not enable Chademo? Inquiring minds want to know.

Probably just like the lack of WiFi or control over the rear seat heaters: They just haven't finished the software and testing yet.

Or in the case of CHAdeMO it is possible that they are going to make a new adapter that can handle more than 50kW, and that is what they will make the Model 3 compatible with.

Reactions: eprosenx and Drax
Someone should keep a list of the differences between the S and the 3. Many people look at the 3 with S goggles on for better or for worse, perhaps we shouldn't. The 3 has enough space to have a CHAdeMO plug on the car, and there was speculation that the reflector on the right side would be used for that (similar with GB-T in China, CCS Type 2 elsewhere). That means the Japanese market entry does not guarantee CHAdeMO adapter compatibility. Tesla needs to be more forward with the specifications, present and planned.

Reactions: Ulmo