Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else’s Spotify perform poorly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

‘Merica

S85 and S100D
Jun 3, 2019
Las Vegas
Just got Spotify with v10 on my 2013 S last week. I have LTE. I signed up for the 3 month premium trial, and will cancel for sure if the poor performance continues. The player hangs often and I get the spinning wheel o’ buffering. It will play for a few seconds then buffer for a few minutes. If I switch to radio then back to Spotify, it seems to help, but then happens again randomly. Slacker works just fine, so it doesn’t seem to be a streaming problem.

Reactions: Not_batman
simiilar problems. 2018S. Their spotify client also appears to have no local cache, so every time i pass through a dead network area the spotify app hangs. They totally half-assed this. It's not even close to being feature complete and it's incredibly unreliable. Despite spotify being one of my biggest wishlist items I've gone back to playing spotify from my phone.

There was a time when I cancelled my premium Slacker account because it performed so poorly. Then the software was fixed and it worked great again so I renewed the subscription. There is a lot to improve and I hope they can do it. If not, I'll just go back to Slacker

Just got Spotify with v10 on my 2013 S last week. I have LTE. I signed up for the 3 month premium trial, and will cancel for sure if the poor performance continues. The player hangs often and I get the spinning wheel o’ buffering. It will play for a few seconds then buffer for a few minutes. If I switch to radio then back to Spotify, it seems to help, but then happens again randomly. Slacker works just fine, so it doesn’t seem to be a streaming problem.

Yes, I have a 2013 P85 and it's generally horrible. I upgraded to LTE and Slacker works fine. Disappointing.

2019 X - Spotify poor last month and worse since the update. Hangs and says loading error. Touch the album and it spins and restarts. Playlist keeps going back to start too. Annoying

Its really got worse since the V10 update, before it would never have loading problems, now constantly. So beside the silly name change it seems the team have been busy building the careoke what always seems to work. Sad, since the Spotify app could really use some updates and improvements and its annoying since I am always using it while driving

Of course this morning I got a Loading error. It turned out to be an Internet connection issue that affected Slacker, too. Not sure if it was a coincidence but when I tried to listen to a podcast after waiting a while after the connection was re-established, Spotify started playing.

Having days where Spotify works flawlessly over a 6 hour drive, and then days when it can't play 10 seconds without a hiccup. No idea why it is so temperamental.

One difference I see that would give the impression that Spotify is worse than Slacker is when Slacker had an issue it would quickly skip to the next song. In my car, in my area, on 3G it would do this every 8-12 songs I would say on average over the past 6 months.

Whereas when Spotify has an issue it just spins the wheel of death, until you skip manually to the next song. It seems like it is worse but it just reacts differently. But with Spotify at least you could skip back to the song.

Not sure yet about 2019.32.12.2, only got this update yesterday, but it did work fine on a short drive so far. Here's hoping.

Slacker and my phone will continue with no problem. If it’s network congestion due to slightly higher bit rate I guess it’s possible.

Or the carrier throttling traffic from Spotify’s servers. Slacker is a fringe streaming service, probably not on their radar screen, but Spotify is one of the top ones, and it’s totally in character for AT&T or Verizon to do this.

I’m very disappointed in the Spotify app. Saved albums do not come over, no gapless playback, no explicit filter and does not mark explicit songs like in iPhone app so hard to play any songs I don’t already know with my daughter in the car and now the spinning and not playing has started. As many shortcomings as slacker has, its better than this!

Reactions: ‘Merica
I’m very disappointed in the Spotify app. Saved albums do not come over, no gapless playback, no explicit filter and does not mark explicit songs like in iPhone app so hard to play any songs I don’t already know with my daughter in the car and now the spinning and not playing has started. As many shortcomings as slacker has, its better than this!
As am I for several of the same reasons. Really annoying that saved albums do not come over - it is showing the state of my saved albums from like 2 years ago which doesn't resemble anything like my saved albums now. Somehow the playlists are up to date/accurate even though the albums are not. I've also had issues with it hanging or stopping because it thinks that I am playing Spotify on another device (even though I'm not). And yesterday it would stop playing every couple of seconds and I would have to hit play to restart. Going over to streaming and then back to Spotify fixed that issue, but c'mon Tesla - it should work a lot better than this!