Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else get this gift certificate for jeans from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got one as well. Completely agree with sparky's comments, so I'll just add: oy vey!

1. not signature
2. southern california
3. financed with PenFed

Also interesting that the cancellation stamp shows it was mailed from Los Angeles, not Palo Alto...

I smell a rat. Could one of you folks send an email to Tesla asking if they are behind this? I strongly suspect the answer is no. Tesla would not be spending their time and money on stuff like this.

I noticed that the postmark seemed to be LA, and most of the people posting seem to be southern cal. Has anybody outside Southern California received one? I also think this smells fishy.

I sent email this morning to ownership team, apologizing for bad manners complaining about getting a "gift" but explained why it was actually a bit offensive to receive it. No reply yet. Who knows how long it would take to filter through email or at this point perhaps doubtful they knew what I was talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... wondered about list sold from purchasing gear/merch either from TM or 3rd party (ie: keyfob holder, etc) but anything we have purchased so far was done by my husband and this came addressed ONLY to ME as if it was harvested from the primary owner list, not 2nd owner listed and not merch purch (?)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I have another question. The person who posted the pic of the envelope as addressed to "Sparky?" Ummm...sorry to ask and no offense intended at all, but wondered is that the real name under which you purchased your car? Or maybe we are just seeing part of a business d/b/a there? If not, why woud TM corporate know you as Sparky ? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Ok, I have another question. The person who posted the pic of the envelope as addressed to "Sparky?" Ummm...sorry to ask and no offense intended at all, but wondered is that the real name under which you purchased your car? Or maybe we are just seeing part of a business d/b/a there? If not, why woud TM corporate know you as Sparky ? Just wondering.
My guess is that "Sparky" is his forum login at teslamotors.com (to match his teslamotorsclub.com login).

p.s. Yes, I have considered that you may have altered the image to put Sparky in place of your real name vs simply blanking it out along with the address, but I am definitely curious to know the situation there. Sorry I just feel like this is something that is more damaging to Tesla brand than a benefit so it basically ticked me off to think they were caving in to this "stuff". I guess if they are making a ton of money off it and it means the difference between success or failure I'll accept it and just keep tossing it into the bin. First of any spam I can recall getting though.

I'm also in SoCal - that seems to be the link here. Again, even though I have no interest in these jeans, this doesn't bother me at all. I am happy to keep receiving gift certificates until they send me one for something I want. My envelope is below, but let me just say I am starting to think it might be time for me to worry about my Tesla obsession when I am pulling envelopes out of the trash to post them on the internet.

IMG_5896.JPG

Last edited:
I'm also in SoCal - that seems to be the link here. Again, even though I have no interest in these jeans, this doesn't bother me at all. I am happy to keep receiving gift certificates until they send me one for something I want. My envelope is below, but let me just say I am starting to think it might be time for me to worry about my Tesla obsession when I am pulling envelopes out of the trash to post them on the internet.

View attachment 29543

Bottom says "Courtesy Gift from Tesla"--if they don't endorse this garbage, then they need to stop them. This selling of names and addresses is not good in my book. My info is private--period.

Hey everybody - TM responded that they were not aware of any such denim promotion and asked for more info so they could look into it - taking it quite seriously. MikeC is not the only one going dumpster diving for Tesla obsession it seems.
Hmmm. Sometimes paranoia is the correct response (where's my tinfoil?)
To answer your earlier question, my envelope wasn't addressed to "Sparky". It's just a quick bit of cut and paste from the image. But it might be interesting to note the name on the envelope was the exact format for my email address tied to this forum and the My Tesla acct. All lower case without spaces between first and last. So, it def seems like computer job.
I suspect a couple of those robots on the assembly line. When I was on the tour I saw how they collaborated for some assembly tasks. Most were very diligent and stayed busy but two of them looked kind of suspicious and seemed to be plotting something.

I suspect a couple of those robots on the assembly line. When I was on the tour I saw how they collaborated for some assembly tasks. Most were very diligent and stayed busy but two of them looked kind of suspicious and seemed to be plotting something.

Haha! That's a good one!

Looks like there may have been some insider who mistakenly/wantonly sold the addresses?

Worst-case, a security breach?

Definitely SoCal only. Nothing up here.

Just got it in the mail (Northern California). What info does TMC want? I can easily email them more information (have no idea what that would be?) or even just mail them the original envelope (heck drop it off in their lobby as I am close to HQ...) :eek:
I don't know exactly when it arrived in snail mail, as I typically check that only once a week.

Post marked from San Francisco, suspicious.

Hey everybody - TM responded that they were not aware of any such denim promotion and asked for more info so they could look into it - taking it quite seriously. MikeC is not the only one going dumpster diving for Tesla obsession it seems.

Has to be some kind of Tesla list somewhere. I am on every known do not call do not mail list out there.
- - - Updated - - -

nope, up here in Northern California

Definitely SoCal only. Nothing up here.

Last edited:
Just got it in the mail (Northern California). What info does TMC want? I can easily email them more information (have no idea what that would be?) or even just mail them the original envelope (heck drop it off in their lobby as I am close to HQ...) :eek:
I don't know exactly when it arrived in snail mail, as I typically check that only once a week.

Post marked from San Francisco, suspicious.

Has to be some kind of Tesla list somewhere. I am on every known do not call do not mail list out there.
- - - Updated - - -

nope, up here in Northern California

They basically asked for a picture of envelope and materials, which I sent, and indicated more sample images were available here. They clearly don't want third parties doing this without permission of TM or TM customers. I quickly re-read the privacy policy and this does seem incompatible with what they would do by default. Portion of said policy here:

Information Use

• Tesla does not share, sell, or rent Personal Data to unaffiliated third parties for their own use (i.e., for purposes unrelated to products and services of Tesla and its affiliates) without your consent, except for Legal Disclosures as described in the Privacy Statement.
  • Tesla uses information to provide services to our customers, to comply with legal requirements, to complete sales, to monitor and improve our website, services, vehicles and other products, for internal business purposes, and for other purposes as disclosed to you.

Disclosure

• We share information with subsidiaries, affiliates, and other entities controlled by Tesla.
  • We occasionally provide information to other companies who work on our behalf to help provide our services.
  • We may disclose information as required by law.
  • We may transfer information between the United States and other countries, and maintain and process information in any country in which Tesla operates.

I received one today as well. I was thinking it was legit from Tesla (I had just taken my car in for service), until I saw the spend $250 to save $100, and the whole V12 engine thing. Postmark is also wrong.

My guess is that this company obtained the data from the California DMV. Given a Model S VIN or by guessing VINs you can obtain the owner's address from the DMV:

Fast Facts DMV 4 Public Record Request