Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else getting flashed a lot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must admit that the headlights aren't as good as I expected them to be. One thing I really miss is adaptive headlights ie the ones that move in response to your steering. I had this in a 2007 Merc and also in a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee so the technology isn't new and has crossed the pond. I never realised how much I took them for granted.

it was also a feature of the Citroen DS first seen in the 1950s and still possibly my favourite car of all time. A neighbour had one in the 70s and I used to stare at it in awe. It was like a spaceship to an 8 year old me.

Reactions: pow216 and drewpost
I have been trying to get confirmed information for 6 months on whether there is any difference between LHD and RHD cars in terms of headlights, for trips to Spain. Nothing official, but a lot of self-ordained expects talk about LED beams being "flat", so it doesn't matter. I don't understand that I must say. Obviously height could be out. You can alter them yourself but really you need a garage with measuring equipment to get it right, not necessarily a service centre?
I am pretty happy with the Model 3 lights. The auto high beams works better than me doing it manually, and the LEDs are a little better than the lights on my 2008 model year Audi, recently traded. But there is no WOW factor at all, I must say. Probably need Matrix or Lasers for that.

it was also a feature of the Citroen DS first seen in the 1950s and still possibly my favourite car of all time. A neighbour had one in the 70s and I used to stare at it in awe. It was like a spaceship to an 8 year old me.
It’s still a beautiful piece of design. I saw a DS decapotable last year and it was a work of art.

In the US market the beauty was somewhat stunted by the need for sealed beams, and no aero covers.
D5454DBD-056D-4332-9550-BB15AF2922FD.jpeg

I really didn’t know that! How bizarre that it’s my favourite classic and I’ve just bought a Tesla!

Obviously a Road Research Laboratory (now TRL) test car and not production spec! Shame the test track is now being turned into a housing estate. Lots of history there. I was involved on a number of tests on their test road network amongst other things.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Obviously a Road Research Laboratory (now TRL) test car and not production spec! Shame the test track is now being turned into a housing estate. Lots of history there. I was involved on a number of tests on their test road network amongst other things.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, (a couple more replies about Citroen’s and we really should take it elsewhere!), I was I’m Wikipedia and look at this paragraph. It’s super spooky with my love of both:

“After 18 years of secret development as the successor to the Traction Avant, the DS 19 was introduced on 5 October 1955 at the Paris Motor Show. In the first 15 minutes of the show, 743 orders were taken, and orders for the first day totalled 12,000.[7] During the 10 days of the show, the DS took in 80,000 deposits; a record that stood for over 60 years,[8] until it was eclipsed by the Tesla Model 3 which received 180,000 first day deposits in March 2016.[9

What do they mean by this in the Users Manual?

View attachment 472325

The video by Bjorn, linked to earlier, explains this, and also gives a fair bit of useful information about the way the light adjustment works. His M3 was out of adjustment as delivered, with the dip beams too high. The video also shows the pattern of light from the M3 lights, and it seems not to have the distinct upward kick to the left on dip beam that some cars have.

• Helpful
Reactions: Keeper
My headlights took it open themselves to suddenly go onto main beam whilst I was travelling in the dark and in the rush hour going up the A3 yesterday. I hadn’t just switched the lights on either. There were cars in font of me and cars coming in the other direction on the other side of the barriers, all with their lights on. It lasted about 2 seconds. I had the outside lane to myself for a short while everyone moved over and got out of the way. I assume they thought I was the fuzz. Interesting phenomena. Didn’t happen again, yet.
Do M3s have auto-sensing main beam (MS does). Maybe that was on accidentally? But should switch automatically to dipped when there are oncoming lights.

Probably need Matrix or Lasers for that.

Given that the M3 is so technologically advanced I fully expected it to have matrix headlights, which other manufacturers have been offering for several years. They are one of the best features on my A6 and I’ve taken a big step backwards.
If Tesla wanted their cars to be cutting edge rather than catching up they would have laser lights. But as they are not yet legal in the USA we won’t be seeing them on a Tesla anytime soon. More established manufacturers can offer different options for different markets, but Tesla just doesn’t have the capacity to do that.

Reactions: drewpost
Is it just me or is it really easy to accidentally turn on high beam when indicating? I’ve done it a few times and only realised when cars have flashed me. It’s not obvious you have high beam on when travelling around the London suburbs. It does seem easy to do though! Something to keep an eye on!

I think I have a bit of the opposite problem. My dipped beam is, I think, really quite low. On the Model S it's a mechanical adjustment though and I'm not sure I've got the bottle to go popping bits of trim off this car just yet...

Hadn't really thought about this before, but coming home in the dark on country road my (manual) dipping method is when i see headlights approaching (from around a bend/etc) to Dip just before the car comes into view. presumably the oncoming driver can see my headlights too.

I was surprised how many of the oncoming cars didn't dip their lights until they were actually facing me ...

I wonder if the number of cars fitted with auto-dip is now such that a decent portion are not capable / bothering to dip their lights until they have me in their sights ...

Now I have spotted this (Feature or lazy-driver) its going to annoy me! Maybe I will change from dip-first to dip-last ...

Hadn't really thought about this before, but coming home in the dark on country road my (manual) dipping method is when i see headlights approaching (from around a bend/etc) to Dip just before the car comes into view. presumably the oncoming driver can see my headlights too.

I was surprised how many of the oncoming cars didn't dip their lights until they were actually facing me ...

I wonder if the number of cars fitted with auto-dip is now such that a decent portion are not capable / bothering to dip their lights until they have me in their sights ...

Now I have spotted this (Feature or lazy-driver) its going to annoy me! Maybe I will change from dip-first to dip-last ...

Race to the bottom?

I hope the technology improves to enable an earlier dip on all auto dip cars than it does now, but guess that would be a technology challenge. More difficult I guess than reducing the delay before it reengages high beam after.