Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else getting Fobs with late number VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed that the key fob for the Model 3 is very limited in capability. It will not summon, it does not have passive entry, it will not auto-lock the doors as you walk away, it will not be recognized by the car as being present.

You can remotely unlock the doors, trunk and frunk with it. It otherwise operates exactly like a key card. You have two minutes to start the car after unlocking the door. If after two minutes, you have to press unlock again or put it on the console. Has the same chip as your key card.
How about the situation where the car is unlocked. If I don't have the phone enabled, do I have to place the fob on the place I would normally place the card or will the car communicate with the fob left in my pouch ?

How about the situation where the car is unlocked. If I don't have the phone enabled, do I have to place the fob on the place I would normally place the card or will the car communicate with the fob left in my pouch ?

You have the option to scan the key fob, just like a key card. Or, you can push the unlock button on the key fob to unlock the door and enable you to start the car. It will not recognize the fob inside the car unless its on the center console where you currently scan the key card.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Re service pricing. It does seem inordinately high, to the point where it was previously referred to as the most expensive wiper blade and fob battery replacement ever. As they started to indicate the amount of labor time, checks, etc done it made more sense; though agree the promise of significantly reduced servicing costs for EVs still appears to be unproven. I am speaking from S experience. I don’t know what the 3 service will cost.

In terms of battery cost, that’s your call though I disagree everyone prefers to save $0.05 (https://www.amazon.com/EmazingLight...qid=1541806350&sr=8-1&keywords=cr2045+battery) for exchanging the battery twice as often... ;)

You guys are severely overpaying for your CR2032s. I get them for under $0.16 each with free overnight shipping :)
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/cr2032/panasonic

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur