Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone else not too impressed with straight pipe noise anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That Ferrari looks like a lot of fun out in the hills. I've had plenty of straight piped cars (mostly diesels), but those days from my shouty youth are behind me for the most part. I still appreciate a rowdy sports car, but I much prefer the stealth quiet and smoothness of electric.

ok on a sports car is semi cool i guess or at least i have been conditioned to think so.

BUT
on a camray its rather silly.

2018 Toyota Camry XSE Growls: Just Listen

I still think the ultra quiet model s when it takes off like a bat out of hec is way cooler. Of course the s doesnt handle like a ferrari on the open roads.
Yaaawwwwnnn..The Tesla minivan smokes that F430 likes its a diesel riding lawnmower and that’s with the P90DL

For me, I still like noises. It gives a sense of connection to the car, knowing exactly what it is doing based on sound. Same goes with the steering, changing gears, etc. I love my Tesla, but it is definitely more of a feeling of isolation and less “soul”

Reactions: Atlantan
I love the sound of that Fcar, but the noise still makes me a little disappointed. All of that sound - no matter how great it is - is just evidence that the car is wasting performance on noise and heat and toxic fumes.

Reactions: tranzndance
I've never thought it was "cool," have always loathed it. However, I do think it serves a social purpose. It tells everyone within earshot "This person is a complete and utter ahole. Adjust your dealings accordingly."

Bingo.

We live in a very quiet neighborhood, but are straddled by two neighbors with matching Maserati's that seem specifically tuned to penetrate our windows with a tractor + lawnmower + blender + fart + chainsaw audio-mix that is irritating as hell while they broadcast their daily comings and goings to everyone within earshot.

I'll admit to putting side pipes on a 1972 Plymouth Duster 340 back in high school but I outgrew that before I hit 18. My neighbors are WELL beyond that age...