Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else regret not getting the X instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X looks like a toad,

Now I can't unsee that image.

I have an S and I can't see me ever getting an X for one reason. My wife thinks the X is hideous. I don't think it is that bad, but the S definitely looks way better to me too. She also things the doors on the X look stupid. I kind of like them :)

I have never had any issues getting in and out of my S, but I am only 5'11" and I am still (relatively) young.

I switched from the model s to the model x. Mainly because the X has many new features that are till this day still not available on the model s. I miss the sporty drive of the S at times. But can never go back to the claustrophobic and not as premium feeling of the s.

Not a direct response to the thread question ...

I never considered the X (or the S for that matter). Neither a truck in the future.
I do not care for the X; I have no need for the X;
and based on things I have read on this forum ...
the X is complicated, needlessly expensive; and has many issues.

The 3 is the only Tesla vehicle that I have any interest. My interest, however, is based mostly on what I have read on this forum.
The pictures looks fantastic. I'm anxious to actually see a 3 in person. Hopefully, my interest will be confirmed .... not dispelled.

This is a hard thread for me to write because I don't want to sound so spoiled and so 'first worldly' that I come across as not being appreciative and thankful to have the opporutunity and the means to drive such a beautiful car like a Model S. I love it, I really do! I love the way it drives, handles, and how safe I feel when I'm inside of it.

But... I am 6'3 and 250lbs and getting in and out of this thing is a literal pain in the neck! I know how to get in and out of it as well, as I have followed the advice of sitting down on the seat with my legs facing out of the car, swinging my right leg in and following it up with the left. But... my goodness, I always seem to feel so constricted and tight while doing it and getting in and out of the car when you are running errands or checking out possible places to rent/buy is just an exercise in patience.

Plus the bolsters on these seats are just way too much after a couple hours of driving. I get it, I'm in a car with sports car performance but a few inches off of these bolsters would have been perfect.

I think coming from a Dodge Caravan (don't laugh!) to a Model S has sort of set me up for discomfort from the get go but I really do wish I had just sprung for the Model X for the cabin space alone. Also the seats feel much more comfortable in a Model X but who knows... I might be imagining things.

Anyone else agree or anyone have any recommendations? Is there a way to get my seats swapped out? lol
I won't laugh, I came from a Kia Sorento (more comfy than you might think).
I had to get the textile seats, because the side bolsters on the leather cut into my hips too much. I'm 185cm 100kg.

You can definitely get old seats on the second hand market, but it will be a costly and time-consuming exercise.

Haha whats up fellow Dodge Caravan driver! I actually loved the seats in that van... I went on a huge roadtrip with it and never felt uncomfortable. I sort of miss it... But not really, as that thing was starting to lag engine and transmission wise.

But how odd... like you I have the standard interior with the multi pattern seats as well! If you are telling me the bolsters are BIGGER on the leather seats... Holy *sugar* that must be crazy uncomfortable. Although now I'm so confused, as a few weeks ago I took my car in for a weird hole that had developed near the passenger side front tire and I received a 2016 red Model S P90D with beige leather seats and they were MUCH more comfortable than my seats. I was almost too jealous to return the car!
They change the seats a lot. I had a loaner with leather the other day that was very comfortable, but when I bought my car (mid 2016) the leather was very uncomfortable (for me) and I had to go with the textile option.

Having now been driving a top of the line six-seater Model X P100DL loaner for *three* weeks, I can say that while it is an amazing vehicle, it's impractical for me. For instance, trying to transport stuff around in it is impractical and brings some hassles. It was a real pain trying to load my bass guitar case and bass amp into the X--an effortless task with my S. And yes I keep banging my head on those falcon wing doors. The "fuel economy" is atrocious compared to my S. The air conditioning isn't as good. The car makes nervous mistakes or is way too overcautious or gets confused when in cruise control mode and makes wild errors when telling me the speed limit on the road. This morning I drove down a road I use nearly daily, which features prominent, multiple "Speed Limit 25" signs, and the indicator on the dash screen displays a "Speed Limit 50" icon: one more reason why in 3 weeks I haven't once activated AutoPilot. I do not trust it, plus, I like to be in control if the vehicle I'm driving thank you. The X strikes me as a luxurious super high tech people mover, a souped up minivan. Not a Home Depot hauler. My S does fine w/ Home Depot.

Reactions: P100D_OSLO
Yea I can't agree that the Model S is looking old at all. I absolutely love the way it looks! It has a blend of Aston Martin, Maserati, and of course it's own Tesla styling that I never get sick of. Even though I drive one I still catch myself staring at others on the road or when they are parked. They are beautiful cars!

Totally agree! I was just saying this to someone the other day who asked if I was worried that they would come with another major update to the car and the current look would be obsolete, but it is such a sharp looking car I am not too worried. It's like the 911, they have changed it in minor ways the past 50 years, but the "old" ones are still stunners.

Very well said, I am still not used to how low this car is after about 3 months of driving her too... I still stupidly scratch the underside of my front bumper.
My "fun" car is a Corvette Z06 and I assure you there are fewer cars closer to the ground. The nose is so close, I have to be constantly aware of what's in front of me to avoid damage... it's carbon fiber and an expensive replacement. I'd almost consider the P90D a "high water vehicle" in comparison.

As far as entry/exit, I'm 6'0" and fairly lean. I don't find the Model S particularly confining, but I also like a "glove" fit.

Reactions: P100D_OSLO
I rented a MS and MX before buying my MS. I liked driving both, but the X is more expensive and I don't really dig the looks as much. I also worry about future problems with the doors. That said, if you need the room, the X is still a great choice and drives almost as well as the S, while carrying around a lot more stuff and being able to tow a trailer. The X does get worse "gas mileage" too, so there is that to consider.